The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tricks based on Gray code or error correcting codes (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of saxonia
Hello,

It has been pointed out in various posts that the principle that is known to magicians / mentalists as "Gray code" actually does not refer to the Gray code, but rather to De Brujin sequences.

Anyway - I wonder whether there are also tricks that *are* actually based on the mathematical principle of the Gray code. Does anybody knows one?

Same question for error-correcting codes (such as the Hamming code). I am aware of an example for a trick for error-correcting code by Todd Mateer, described at https://mthsc.clemson.edu/misc/MAM_2014/doublemagic.pdf. Are you aware of others which are a little more elaborated?

Thanks,
Ralf
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
A comprehensive listing of such effects (60 Entries!) can be found here: http://archive.denisbehr.de/list/category/519

I haven't looked into them, so I wouldn't be surprised if you find some that are DeBrujin sequences in that list.
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of saxonia
Thank you! I already knew this link, and actually all references from Denis' list that I had access to deal with De Brujin sequences. My question was in the different direction: Are there effects that are NOT based on De Brujin, but actually on the Gray code?

Thanks,
Ralf
saxonia
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of saxonia
In the meantime, I did some more research, and here are the results (just in case somebody will find this thread in the future):

Diaconis and Graham write in "Magical Mathematics" with respect to Gray codes: "But as far as we know, there has never been a single use in magic." I can only agree with their following sentence: "Now there is a magic problem!"

Applications of the Hamming code for two-person telepathy can be found in chapter 12 of "Mathematical Card Magic" by Mulcahy. While the effects seem to be less suitable for a performance, they can be used as a nice illustration for teaching coding theory.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tricks based on Gray code or error correcting codes (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL