The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Should I perform? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
My wife is once again getting musical gigs in nice restaurants: harp, voice, with guitar and dulcimer for interlude. Many comment on "angelic."
I was considering being prepared to perform at tables during her break, with the usual questions as to what effects? Conjuring or mental based? When? if?
Most importantly, what would be appropriate for the needs of the audience? and "Would this enhance the experience and resulting tips for my wife?"

I wondered about a eve-dropped on conversations during her break. Some were discussing how her music enhanced the dining experience.
Those with children were teaching them manners and/or discussion music they desired to learn. Those that tipped had their child bring up the money to the basket.
One table was students all engrossed with their laptops. NONE were bored or looking "to be entertained."

So, the magic was already happening because of her music. I could not add to it, and may do damage to the flow.

Am I missing something?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The question is do you want to perform for you, or for the guests?

Also is your performance ability on par with your wife's? Not easy questions to answer honestly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
The question is do you want to perform for you, or for the guests?

Also is your performance ability on par with your wife's? Not easy questions to answer honestly.

Actually, I wish to enhance the dining experience so that more guests will come. For that her musical magic is better than my illusion and guile.

Good last question, but perhaps off focus. Some effect I could do would be superior but not appropriate for time restraint and would detract from her magic
Most of the effects described by table-hoppers would not be of that quality no matter how well performed.

But you do accentuate the importance of ANY performance interfering with the value of her performance.

maybe I should focus on guests waiting to get in and not yet part of the "dining experience" except in frustration or boredom.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Are you absolutely certain it WILL enhance the experience? I think many magicians who do not work often have a view that magic always fits. You asking the question at all shows this is not your case and that sir is refreshing!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TheRealMagicMike
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
178 Posts

Profile of TheRealMagicMike
Has management approved of adding a magician to the mix? If not, you'd sort of be "crashing the party" if you just got up and started performing. If it's been discussed and approved (and if your wife is truly supportive of it) then give it a go very slowly, just one or two quick tricks per table and then honestly evaluate whether it is enhancing the atmosphere.

Best of luck. Put the venue and your wife's performance first and make decisions based on that.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
My feeling is to leave the magic home. Almost anything you do outside of music would distract from your wife’s performance. Judging from your discrimination of her talents, she doesn’t need your help.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Are you absolutely certain it WILL enhance the experience? I think many magicians who do not work often have a view that magic always fits. You asking the question at all shows this is not your case and that sir is refreshing!

YUP!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Update. Turns out my wife only suggested the idea because she thought I was bored having to be there "with nothing to do."
She if quite blind and I have to drive, carry, help change instruments, etc. She did not realize how much time I spend watching the guests,
checking for dead spots in the room, overhearing comments and subtly getting the staff to appreciate her being there.

I did not want to perform any magic, but thought some here might give me a perspective I had missed. Many thanks.
One item I had noticed was the number to people talking to their kids about the music. Not many kids, though, because of the pricing.

Now, it turns out people have been calling the restaurant to see if they have a children's menu. Word of mouth in two days has folks
wanting to bring their kids to hear the "harp angel."

That is magic enough for me!

Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
That's one of the sweetest things I've heard in a long time
paulalpha
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
75 Posts

Profile of paulalpha
Personally I would be very worried that the magic would intrude on the music.

It is very sweet of you to be helping your wife this way. And you should be very concerned about getting your wife's permission and the venues permission.

If it were me, I'd tell my wife that it's not a problem helping her with these gigs, and that you love listening to her play. Plus tell her that you are able to practice your sleights over in a corner while she performs. Also bear in mind that whenever a man speaks in the presence of a woman, he is always wrong. :>)

Have you thought about having your wife provide live music accompaniment while you are performing magic at your magic gigs?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Should I perform? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL