The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Strolling vs Social Media (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Years ago I did some restaurant table hopping and the "approach" was pretty straight forward. Other than a dislike of magic, your "competition" was mainly conversation... if the diners were engrossed in conversation, you had to gauge whether you were "intruding," and detracting rather than adding to, their dining experience. Nowadays it looks like the performer is competing with individuals engrossed in their phones. It used to be you interrupted one or two conversations to get the entire tables attention, but now it seems like you have to engage each persons attention individually.

I'm curious with the folks we are actively doing restaurant work... Is approaching tables where everyone is looking at their phones an issue? How do you get their attention, or do you even try... and just introduce yourself and let your "opener" get their attention ?
paulalpha
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
75 Posts

Profile of paulalpha
I'd say just approach and hit them with an opener. You cant very well ask them to put their phones away. And if one of them misses it, the others at the table will ask them if they saw your trick.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2018, Scott Horn wrote:
Years ago I did some restaurprofessionalle hopping and the "approach" was pretty straight forward. Other than a dislike of magic, your "competition" was mainly conversation... if the diners were engrossed in conversation, you had to gauge whether you were "intruding," and detracting rather than adding to, their dining experience. Nowadays it looks like the performer is competing with individuals engrossed in their phones. It used to be you interrupted one or two conversations to get the entire tables attention, but now it seems like you have to engage each persons attention individually.

I'm curious with the folks we are actively doing restaurant work... Is approaching tables where everyone is looking at their phones an issue? How do you get their attention, or do you even try... and just introduce yourself and let your "opener" get their attention ?

I usually walk up to the table and say in a " very friendly " way.... " Hi there, is everyone texting each other? " depending on their responses, body language and friendliness , I continue. Either I introduce myself as a professional magician or
I say " just wanted to say hello and thank you for coming. My answer is based on your question regarding everyone looking at their phones. Other scenarios vary. Yes it happens all too often.

The other day a dad was out with his young daughter. He was engrossed playing a video game and she was just sitting there.
No conversation. In this situation I just interrupted and didn't care if I was bothering him. I engaged the girl after introducing myself and respectfully asked permission from dad. It went well. He put his phone down and enjoyed the interaction.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Strolling vs Social Media (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL