The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Peek Pack - Brian Gillis (a Magic Portal review) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Gregory Wilson presents The Peek Pack – Brian Gillis
$45.00
http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=60280

The Hype:
WHEN SUPERSTAR ENTERTAINERS WANT TO BE ENTERTAINED, THEY CALL BRIAN GILLIS. AND WHEN BRIAN NEEDS TO LOOK LIKE A SUPERSTAR, HE PULLS OUT THE PEEK PACK.

This multiple-selection mental miracle is perfect for close-up or stand-up to manipulate the minds of the audience without manipulating the cards!

Brian has used this reputation-maker on Johnny Depp, Harrison Ford, Paul McCartney, Muhammed Ali, Charlize Theron, Eddie Murphy, Arnold Schwarzenegger . . . and some of the bigger names.

Even though it's easy to do, Brian has also fooled magicians with The Peek Pack over the last 20 years in all three rooms of the Magic Castle!

Comes with a custom-designed Bicycle deck and online instructions from Brian Gillis and Gregory Wilson.

My Take:
When I watch the trailer for a trick this strong, I always like to try to figure it out before I delve into it. In the case of the Peek Pack, I was sure I had. I figured six force cards, each with a small tab out on one end so (like the Magic Coloring Book), when you flipped the deck, one card would stay a fraction of a second longer than the others and imprint on your spectator's brain. The card would be chosen by the position of the tab. I think it would work but it would not be 100%. So when I opened the box for a look at the deck I had no idea. And had to watch the video to understand the working and idea behind the Peek Pack.

You receive a very nicely packaged specially printed deck. It cannot be used for any other tricks and it cannot be examined. You receive an entire deck of Rider back gaffed cards which is surprising as Bicycle now refuses to print any gaffs with the Rider back. Either these were printed a while ago and are just now being released or these guys know somebody!

The video begins with a performance then goes into a discussion between Brian Gills and Gregory Wilson giving the history of the pack and showing how it works. I did find the instruction to be lacking some detail but it is not hard to intuit how to do the trick. I just would have liked to be walked through the routine step by step. Still this should not be a problem for anyone.

As the description says, the trick is easy and simple to do. However, to get it down to performance level will take some practice and watching yourself in a mirror would be a huge help. I find the actual work needing to be done is a little gutsy and you might be a little leery the first time or two performing it. Brian actually takes advantage of the brain's penchant for ignoring details and just focusing on the main event. If you have ever seen the video of the ape crossing the basketball court without being noticed, you will have a good idea just what I am speaking of.

A few years ago, I saw a street magician do a multiple revelation of chosen cards in Nashville. He used a non-gaffed deck and was able to pull each person's card out in order. He told me that it took him a long time to get this one ready for performance. It was a stunning performance and the audience ate it up. I know that they all went home that day talking about the trick. It was a routine I decided that someday I would like to add. The Peek Pack has made that a reality.

This has been a signature piece in Brian's performances for years and I am sure it never fails to kill. He says the deck should last just about forever and he has been using his for around ten years. So, with care, you should never have to buy this one a second time.

I have learned to expect quality from anything Gregory Wilson is associated with. This is no exception. Some might think the price a bit high for a deck of cards but consider this. How many tricks have you seen selling in the $30.00 to $45.00 range that only include one or two gaffed cards. With Peek Pack, you get an entire deck of specially printed cards of first rate quality. In my book that makes this a bargain.

I have no problem naming this a must have deck for card magicians. I know a lot of you hate gaffs and want to show off just how clever you are with sleights but, as they say, your audience does not care how much practice you put into it or how much fancy work is going on behind the scenes. They only care what they see and how badly they were fooled. This trick has the potential to become a reputation maker and gets a Highly Recommended from me.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Hey I just put this up on the Reel Magic Site......$15 inside the US including shipping...

Another Great reason to subscribe to Reel Magic! Available while they last.

www.reelmagicmagazine.com

just another great reason to subscribe
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Peek Pack - Brian Gillis (a Magic Portal review) (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL