The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Essentials for table work (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EllisJames52
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh PA
51 Posts

Profile of EllisJames52
What are the essentials for getting in to tabled card magic? What are the “must read” books and the “must learn” moves?
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Lost count of how many books I've written JUST FOR YOU!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2018, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Lost count of how many books I've written JUST FOR YOU!

I know of an author that has wrote some great memory books too that may be able to help you remember how many.
EllisJames52
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh PA
51 Posts

Profile of EllisJames52
Hmmm if only that author posted on the Café... which ones are the best for a beginner for table work? I’d consider myself pretty good at in the hands card magic, but other than a few false shuffles and the beginnings of a second deal I know nothing about table work.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Must read book--Close Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I second that!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
And The Magic Book - plus about twenty others!

Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Go into riffle shuffle trilogy and revolutionary card series by Ed Marlo, complète works of Dingle, riffle shuffle series by Fulves, Martin Nash trilogy, Tom Gagnon last two books, and you will have a lot to explore and work on.
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Honestly...Harry's entire Best Ever series. I have a ton of DVDs. Nothing comes remotely close. It is outstanding. I know you said books, but I think this beats books.
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
I want to underscore what I just wrote.

This is riviting.

So much, almost all, is droning, boring crap.

Done.
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
I Just want to underscore how valuble the above mentioned dvd set is. It's the NYC school of card magic.. and it is a tour de force.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I blush! I also wonder how many "wannabee card experts" will pay attention.

kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
I am watching it now.

Harry...Thank You!
AntonF
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of AntonF
Forte, England, Ortiz and Ladayne’s material are awesome...
[...] The passion culminates in the professional. He would rather play than eat. Winning is not his sole delight.[...] there is but one pleasure in life better than winning, that is, in making the hazard...
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I guess a lot depends upon what you mean by tabled work.

If you mean gambling sleights, then Jason England has a 3 volume video series called Foundations which would fit the bill. Which can then be supplemented with the usual classic texts, and the works of Ortiz.

If you are just starting out in card magic full stop, then Lorayne's Magic Book which has already been mentioned is really good, but covers more than just cards.

Classic starting texts also include The Royal Road to Card Magic and the Encyclopedia of Card Tricks. If you have more money and want something more modern, then the Card College series is the way to go. There are DVD sets of the first 2 vols of Card College, the whole of the RRTCM, and even the EOCT.

If you prefer DVDs, then I think Gerry Griffin's Complete Card Magic set is great for beginners, as is Big Blind Media's Essential Card Magic Collection.
EllisJames52
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh PA
51 Posts

Profile of EllisJames52
I’m putting the “best ever” series on my list, as well as some of the books. Thank you all. And terriblethewizard, I’m glad people still recommend Royal road. It was the book that started me out as a magician
Yowie_
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Yowie_
As you get into table card magic, spend some time learning how to do a solid, effortless table riffle shuffle - if you haven't already of course. Many magicians do in the hands riffle shuffles at the table, or struggle to smoothly execute the table riffle and this really limits what they can do.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
If you are a beginner, go for the Mark Wilson book, and for cards, Card collège is unsurpassed. If you really master everything (or a version of what is found in card collège in other books) in Card Collège, you will be an expert.
Ahlichs
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Ahlichs
I'd start with Royal Road, then Expert Card Technique. From there, either Expert at the Card Table or pick up something from Lorayne. whichever you do first, do the other one second. From there you'll have a good grounding to go in pretty much any direction. Darwin Ortiz has a lot of really great table work, so do lots of others.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Essentials for table work (16 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL