The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Anybody Know Of A Good Seamstress?? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm serious. If I even began to tell the living hell I've been through in the last few years trying to find a blankety blank seamstress to sew together the bottoms for a costume I'm needing, you would not believe me. You'd think I'm making it all up.

I don't live in a "huge" town, but it's certainly large enough that there ought to be SOMEONE who can sew together a frickin' costume. But I have been around and around in circles and I'm at the end of my rope. It's almost as if seamstresses these days have gone the way of the dinosaur.

The lady who currently has the material I purchased has been dragging her feet for two years, and enough is enough! Excuse after excuse is all she gives me. If she doesn't get it done by June, when I'll be playing the 4H fair, I'm just going to tell her to shove it and demand my material back.

Which brings me to my post. Does anyone here know of a seamstress who is wanting some work?

I should have posted on the Café earlier, but I was too busy looking around my area trying too find someone local.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Sent a PM
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Got it.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Ian.Adams
View Profile
New user
Southern California
8 Posts

Profile of Ian.Adams
Go check out the local fabric shops or places like JoAnn's or Michaels. They always know people, and usually cheaper and just as good as the shops.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Probably not helpful for your current needs, but I get my suits made by Tom James (link below). The local shop does all the tailoring I need, included in the price of the suit (not cheap, but I focus on corporate market). They do a great job with coin slides, extra pockets, etc. In my view, some of the best money I've spent (after lessons) has been on tailors.

Hudson

https://www.tomjames.com/Made-To-Measure......CEPD_BwE
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I'd suggest looking for a theatrical costumer or designer. I have had much better luck with them understanding the needs of entertainers and making things durable enough for stage/performance use. They are also much more accustomed to added features and needs of performers such as spaced/pouches for mic packs, custom-sized pockets, toppits, etc.

May have to travel outside of your small town to the closest city but it'll likely be worth it if you find the right person.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Daffydoug, you did not mention if you provide a pattern that can be cut out. This is what seamstresses work from, they usually can alter lengths, but that is about it. Otherwise, if you have no pattern, you need to seek a Taylor. A Taylor can do major changes to the costume.

It is confusing, as you state "sew together the bottom of a costume, then you stat, "you will ask for your material back". To me these statements mean different clothing craftsmen.

When I wanted special clothing, I would go to the fabric store and look though the patters, and find something close to what I wanted. I would buy the pattern and provide the pattern that would be a good choice for what I wise to have made.

Others suggestions at visiting a fabric store that teaches sewing machine with classes, keep a list of people to refer to customers. Men's clothing is the hardest to make, so it takes someone that likes a challenge.
Scorpio91
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Scorpio91
I'm lucky enough to be a in a big city. I have easily found competent alteration shops that have helped me out with weird requests.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Smile maybe Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Anybody Know Of A Good Seamstress?? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL