The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Finished Tarbell :-) (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
I started down the magic road in 2014, based largely (if not entirely) due to encouragement from folks here Smile.

One of the very first pieces of advice I was given was from Dick Oslund, who told that if he had me in front of him, he'd sit me down with Tarbell and tell me to start reading.

Well, Dick, it took awhile - partly because I am always studying other sources alongside - but I've read my way (taking copious notes and doing much bookmarking) through every volume of Tarbell!

I started with the downloadable pdf version of the original course. But as easy as that made it to get started, I found it difficult to continue that way. So I built a collection of the hardback books, eventually getting all 8 volumes. And I have now read the entire series of Tarbell cover-to-cover.

Better late than never, right?

I'm still going strong on my magic journey, and it all started here. Thanks to everyone who helped get me started!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Congratulations Ken !!!!!!!!!!! --Youse done good!

I'll return later, but, I'm momentarily speechless!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Thanks Dick! It's a treasure trove. After these 3.5 years, I've found that for the most part, it's the classics that I'm drawn to. In the performances I've done, it's been coins, cards, and Cups & Balls. Oh, and your version of the loop C&R rope. It's the only rope routine I've ever actually performed for anyone. Thanks for the "early intervention!"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Ken! You've "joined a rather 'exclusive' club!!! --You've read all 8 volumes of Tarbell!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was 14, 'going on 15', a friend loaned me all FIVE volumes of Doc's epic work! (that's ALL there were, then!) Six came a bit later, and, then Harry Lorayne completed Seven. Eight came much later!!!

I know from EXPERIENCE that you will never regret reading Tarbell! How many "magic" books are STILL IN PRINT, after 90 years????????

The suggested "patter" and, presentations, are somewhat out of date, BUT, the PRINCIPLES, are not!

Fitzkee's book, "The Only Six Ways To Restore A Ropes" is THE book on c&r. There have been a few 'variations", but, Fitzkee was right!

The "loop" variation has been 'around'. I first saw it in my dear friend, the late Warren Stephens' lecture notes. It has been printed in a few books. I certainly can't claim to have originated it! (I wish that I was THAT CLEVER!)

It "inspired" me to use the 'one-two-one' principle to do a c&r, though! As an old Scout, I've been fascinated with knots and rope for 72 years!!! I even wrote a bookLET on knot tieing, to help Scout leaders share knot skills with Scouts.

"Thanks" to Scotch "Magic" tape. It has more or less "replaced" the Tarbell or Caesar "gimmick" --actually a "feke"!)

Reading Doc's course won't make you the "World's Greatest", but, it could help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Reading is one thing and very important, obviously. Performing for a real audience, encountering many different
personalities in various venues is quite another. Years ago, when I wanted to get into restaurant work, I read
everything I could get my hands on as well as VHS at that time. I felt I was ready and educationally equipped.

Well...WRONG...Don't get me wrong, reading about this particular venue was helpful and informative to a degree.
But it wasn't untill I actually got my first restaurant gig that the real learning started.

It is a totally different ball game. Congratulations on your study of Tarbell. Now comes the true learning. Putting your
education into action. You can read about how to swim till the cows come home but without getting into the water.....
well you get my point. Have Fun.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Thanks for that, Dick! I wrote down the Fitzkee book in my notes on Rope Magic and will get that book. Once again, I'm grateful for your advice!

David - Agree 100%. And that is where I'm a bit stuck. I've tried many dozens (more than 100 probably) of tricks and currently have a workable repertorie of 20 or 30 tricks/routines in the areas of cards, coins and cups and balls, along with just a few other things (the 1 C&R rope routine I do, a paddle trick called Turbo Stick, a couple of handkerchief things including a bottle production, etc.). And I have done all these for friends and family, who are both the worst (they know I'm not "a pro magician" and are not afraid to point out ALL the weaknesses) and the best audience (they're always around for me to try my tricks and support me) :-P. But I am keenly aware of my need to perform in the real world for real audiences. That has proven, however, to be something of a Catch-22.

I've implored my fellow SAM and IBM members, as well as folks on the forums (I spend most of my forum time on The Magician's Forum these days) to help guide me in this area. It's all very well to say "go and gt gigs." But there is this whole phase that is missing for me - the ability to actually see what a real gig looks like, both as a spectator AND behind the scenes. I've been looking for a mentor - someone who could take me to a few gigs, pointing out not only how to actually do the performances, but how to do the up-front work to get the gig, and then everything leading up to it and after it.

Two local magicians have allowed me to tag along on one of their gigs and it was super helpful. But that's kind of where that ended.

So at the moment, I'm taking opportunities to perform for NOT family/friends as I get them. One of the best has been in my medieval re-creation group (The Society for Creative Anachronism). I've forced myself to busk in the market place at festivals in that group, as well as do close-up work at feasts and at the tavern (at one event that has a wonderful 15th century tavern). Also, whenever a friend (usually my wife) says to some stranger (lately it was some employees at the bank :-P) that her husband is a magician, they usually ask for a trick. I always have a few coins on me, so I do a quick routine (usually MB's Crimp Change/a spellbound to change back, followed by a striking vanish). My best opportunity to date was getting asked to do 7 minutes of magic in a local theater's Christmas Cabaret this past December. It was my first REAL paying gig. But I'm still so inexperienced that I don't know what I don't know when it comes to actively marketing myself and landing gigs, etc. This is where my biggest struggle is at the moment.

All this was to say I totally understand your advice on the idea that all the books in the world will be for naught if you don't perform the magic for real people in the real world. And I'm struggling with that at the moment.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ken...I'm extremely busy this week. Some time next week I'll PM you, with some info. on Fitzkee's "6 ways". Meanwhile check out the KIDABRA "forum". wally's thread on "what is an illusion" is worth a look. I defined "illusion", and, talked about how I use a routine with simple illusions. Also read Nat's thread on "Best Kids Magic. (read my posts.)

There aint no shallow end in this "pool"! But, you don't need to be an Olympic swimmer. (A "dog paddle" will get you started!)

There have been many threads about lining up free shows, at first, to get performing experience. We'll talk about that, too.

Dick
paulalpha
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
75 Posts

Profile of paulalpha
Ken:

I'm trying to crack the same nut you are. Family and friends only go so far as an audience and cant replace performing tricks for strangers.

I have found that I can test out tricks for clerks in stores. My favorites are Menards, Home Depot and Cub. I once asked a lady stocking shelves at Cub if she could help me out with a magic trick. I explained to her that I was ready to try out a new tick and so I showed her Holy Moly. She loved it and I've been performing it for store clerks ever since. Plus it helps that the customer is always right in these situations. ;>)

I think the next thing I need to try is volunteering to do strolling closeup magic at nursing homes and hospitals, with and eye towards getting a restaurant gig.
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Quote:
On May 7, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:
Ken...I'm extremely busy this week. Some time next week I'll PM you, with some info. on Fitzkee's "6 ways". Meanwhile check out the KIDABRA "forum". wally's thread on "what is an illusion" is worth a look. I defined "illusion", and, talked about how I use a routine with simple illusions. Also read Nat's thread on "Best Kids Magic. (read my posts.)

There aint no shallow end in this "pool"! But, you don't need to be an Olympic swimmer. (A "dog paddle" will get you started!)

There have been many threads about lining up free shows, at first, to get performing experience. We'll talk about that, too.

Dick

Thanks Dick! I bet you didn't think that complete and utter newbie from 2014 would be coming back 3+ year later asking for this, huh? Smile.

Ken
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Quote:
On May 7, 2018, paulalpha wrote:
Ken:

I'm trying to crack the same nut you are. Family and friends only go so far as an audience and cant replace performing tricks for strangers.

I have found that I can test out tricks for clerks in stores. My favorites are Menards, Home Depot and Cub. I once asked a lady stocking shelves at Cub if she could help me out with a magic trick. I explained to her that I was ready to try out a new tick and so I showed her Holy Moly. She loved it and I've been performing it for store clerks ever since. Plus it helps that the customer is always right in these situations. ;>)

I think the next thing I need to try is volunteering to do strolling closeup magic at nursing homes and hospitals, with and eye towards getting a restaurant gig.

Thanks for the tip. I've occasionally done stuff for store clerks. I'm not great at springing my magic on strangers though. I don't like the idea of "strolling" magic. I know it's a thing. But it just is super hard for me. I'm at my best when I have a table and people who WANT to see magic can watch. Busking is one thing I've done. But that's still hard for me. the perfect thing is if someone has a party and advertises a set time for a "magic show." then I can do my thing for folks who are expecting it. I still think I can do that for free (to start and get experience) at a nursing home or similar. Just not strolling. They often have entertainment coordinators, from what I understand, who set up show times in the rec center, etc. That is my most likely thing, I think. But again - I really would like to hook up with someone who is ALREADY doing it to see how it's done before I make it up as I go, which is what I'd be doing. Let's keep each other posted on how we move forward!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
To tell the truth! (I'm a 74 year Boy Scout, so I gotta!) I had forgotten your name (3+ years!) but when we started talking, I remembered a little.

I always try to be positive, when replying to persons, who appear to be positive, too. I'm glad you've stayed with it! Just the fact that you've followed through with Tarbell is a "vote" for you! I never got to KNOW Doc, but we met several times. I was impressed!

I'm retired in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Where are you located?
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
I'm in San Antonio, TX currently. Magic is pretty subdued here. Austin is better but 2 hours away. We're moving to southern California in the next year or so, though. So hopefully I'll be closer to a more thriving magic community.
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Quote:
On May 7, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:
To tell the truth! (I'm a 74 year Boy Scout, so I gotta!) I had forgotten your name (3+ years!) but when we started talking, I remembered a little.

I always try to be positive, when replying to persons, who appear to be positive, too. I'm glad you've stayed with it! Just the fact that you've followed through with Tarbell is a "vote" for you! I never got to KNOW Doc, but we met several times. I was impressed!

Just for grins, I went back "to the beginning" and found my first thread here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......c=570412

It's fun to look back.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I used your link. Now, I remember, quite well. It would appear that my promo of Doc's course has paid off!!!

The Fitzkee "c&r rope" book was published in '45!!! I think you would have a challenge, finding one! If you're seriously interested, lemme know via PM, and, perhaps, we can work "something" out.

Meanwhile if you have questions, PM me.

Vets hospitals, welcome magicians, especially veterans, who understand, and, can visit WITH patients, along with doing a show. Bedside magic is usually popular, too. I have a VA hospital, 50 miles away, and I go when I can. Usually, I do 20-30 minutes, after lunch or supper in the dining room for ambulatory, and/or wheel chair patients. Then I can do bed side visits where permissible.

After you get "comfortable" doing "stand up", you could start offering yourself to Sr. Citizen's groups. (There is often a budget for group programs. (It aint big!, but a $ is a $!

Your experience with the Society for Creative Anachronism, will help!

Birthday parties, for kids AND adults are fun, and financially worthwhile too.
Blackington
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Blackington
Ken - thanks for posting your note of achievement - I've always loved reading the books, and now I'm heading for the Tarbell shelf as I read all of this... and I still will have to collect a few volumes to complete the set. I'm sure to find lots.

Thanks Ken & Dick Smile
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Awesome dedication, I am incredibly impressed. Are you actually interested in all of the various types of sleight of hand Tarbell goes into, or do you have a particular focus? Congrats again, I'm envious of your stick-to-it-edness.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Teddy!

I KNOW that I (me!) was definitely NOT interested in ALL OF THE VARIOUS TYPES OF TRICKS (not all of them are/were SLEIGHT OF HAND METHODS. MANY WERE MATHEMATICAL, MECHANICAL, PSYCHOLOGICAL PRINCIPLES!). --And, for ME, there were TOO MANY CARD TRICKS!!!

BUT, I wanted to learn about MAGIC. --And, I DID!!!!!!!!!!!!

When a young person wants to be a BRAIN SURGEON, he FIRST must take BASIC CLASSES IN B A S I C MEDICINE. After, four years of study, he may specialize. I did.

I s k I m m e d the mathematical tricks, and card tricks. I r e a d the mechanical tricks. I S T U D I E D the sleight of hand tricks with rope, balls, coins, etc. I LEARNED THE P R I N C I P L E S!

Oh! I read the various PRESENTATIONS to help myself become better aware of how to make my performance, ENTERTAINING, 'cuz. I had learned that, MAGIC IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING. IT'S THE P R E S E N T A T I O N that makes the magic entertaining!

Even at 15, I realized that the Tarbell PATTER & PRESENTATIONS were archaic. Well, the original course was, THEN, almost 30 years old. But, it was NECESSARY to know and understand the PRINCIPLES, BEFORE I could update, and revise those basic PRESENTATIONS. I did.

Using the knowledge gained from Doc Tarbell, I developed a show that could play almost anywhere, for almost anyone. I could set the props, ready for performance, in about 4-5 minutes, and, leave the stage in about 2 minutes after I closed. Because of what I had learned from Tarbell, I WAS NEVER AT LIBERTY FOR FIFTY YEARS! I didn't need to call the assembly bureau managers to ask for a tour. --THEY called ME to ask when I was available.

BTW, I didn't only work school assemblies. I did promotion shows for producers, I did some trade shows, and corporate gigs, too. I worked hospitality suites, doing close up, also.

Now, perhaps, you understand why, when I mentor (and, I have mentored MANY young men. Does the name, Doug Henning, mean anything to you? How about Bob MacAllister? (In case you've forgotten, He had two TV shows in NYC "Wonderama", and, "Kids Are People, Too!") Denny Loomis bought the Kramien Illusion Show and toured it for several years. (They were Tarbell "graduates, too!)

"Harlan Tarbell's Course In Magic" is almost a hundred years old, and, it's still selling.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Dick, you make a great deal of sense and your enthusiasm is contagious. I actually have the first two Tarbell volumes but have not read them...yet. Your thoughts may push me over the edge to make Tarbell next after I finish up with Harry's Close-Up Card Magic. Part of the problem for me is that as a 67 yo newbie who has never been blessed with great patience I look for shortcuts, although working through RRTCM is not a shortcut. Neither is volume 1 of Card College. But my overall interest is in improving my card work so I keep my focus there. However, since I have two Tarbell volumes, I will give them a shot, and likely be better for it.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Teddy
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Teddy - I gravitated early on to close-up magic, but also love cups and balls (not sure if that qualifies as Close-up). Anyway, I'm still too new to absolutely limit myself, though I know I won't be doing large stage illusions.

But here was my process. I would sit with a pile of paperclips on the table next to me. I read every page and trick, including the ones I knew I would not be doing. The reason I did that was not only for the nuggets of "general" magic performance and patter that would be potentially applicable to any trick/routine, but because sometimes, the principle of the trick might be something I could adapt to something I might do. If not, I moved on. If there were tricks I thought were potentially ones I might want to learn/perform, I paper-clipped that page. If there was some useful nugget(s) that I thought I Might want to refer back to....paper clip.

It took a bit of discipline to force myself to read about techniques and routines in realms of magic I had no interest in - similar to Dick's, actually - so yes, I did "skim" some of those things. But I didn't skip those pages. I just sped up Smile.

It took a couple of years, but that is how I did 8 volumes of Tarbell.

Here's an interesting anecdote. I was at a Magic LIVE convention, and one of the lecturers (Magick Balay) was teaching the Classic Force. He said "everybody teaches this wrong. They teach you to use a break. But that's not the best way. Here's a secret, use a step instead." He proceeded to explain what a step was. I caught him after the lecture and said I'd learned the Classic Force from Tarbell, and THAT method uses a step! He was blown away. And he's like famous and stuff Smile.

Anyway, hope that answers your question.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Yes it does. Magic must be a small world. I recently went to a live magic/dinner show in NYC and shared a table with Magick Balay's mom.

Cheers,
Teddy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Finished Tarbell :-) (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL