The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Best Gimmick currently for Kundalini rising type effect? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Way back in the day I used to do a Kundalini type card rise. It wasn't even called Kundalini back then. I only use that name because it's now what most know it by. It's been so long that I don't remember what *l****c t****d I used to buy nor if it's still available. If you currently do this effect , and have a favorite brand of gimmick you could recommend I'd like to hear from you. PM me if you prefer.
Thank you.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Jay Marshall used a fine clear fishing line loop secured to an elastic "pull" to achieve the Rising Card(s) effect with an ungimmicked/borrowed deck.

I believe that set-up was originally intended to bring about the suspension of a wand, pencil etc. from your open outstretched fingers. I do not recall what it was called, but Ireland's/Magic Inc. sold it.

Julie
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Loops
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Thanks for the replies. Essentially, I'm looking for the "material" to make loops, but not quite as invisible which makes it more durable.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
They still sell it cheap enough http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/273
The closest material I have found to the actual product is the Prym Elastic thread that is sold in the UK (but you can get it thru Amazon plus shipping) It is also used in other gaffs on the market.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Poof-Daddy, Prym looks like a viable option. I will give it a try. Sincere Thanks!
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Old post, but I just wanted to update anyone interested on my findings. Prym elastic thread is amazing! I did over 200 solid c**d r***s with one gimmick before it even started to show any sign of wear. It comes in a spool of 200 meters for around $6, and can be used for many magic purposes. At this rate a spool will literally last for many life times. Assuming the material doesn't degrade much with time. My Gratitutude to Poof-Daddy.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Is Prym elastic anything like the elastic thread used in jewelry making?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2018, Wravyn wrote:

No, I have both and they are different.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2018, Wravyn wrote:

No, I have both and they are different.

Thank you Poof-Daddy. I have the jewelry elastic and figured I should ask before getting Prym.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
I wonder if this is simply Prym repackaged?
http://wizardcraft.com/thread_magic.html (Scroll down to bottom of page for Elastic Invisible Thread)
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2018, videoman wrote:
http://wizardcraft.com/thread_magic.html (Scroll down to bottom of page for Elastic Invisible Thread)

No, Prym is not invisible. You can't use it in place of invisible elastic thread. It will be noticed. However, it is thin enough not to be noticed if you aren't staring directly at it. It is not thick or strong enough to string jewelry with. Think of invisible elastic thread, but about maybe 5 times thicker.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2018, Jumbopenny wrote:
Quote:

No, Prym is not invisible. You can't use it in place of invisible elastic thread. It will be noticed. However, it is thin enough not to be noticed if you aren't staring directly at it. It is not thick or strong enough to string jewelry with. Think of invisible elastic thread, but about maybe 5 times thicker.

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to write invisible. The website calls it invisible but I think that's a bit of typo. It's not invisible but good for card rising and such.

This is the written description form the website:

elastic thread for card rise, used by JB Magic and Eric Jones to make and repair their great effects using elastic thread. Best for Kundalini Card Rise, Angel Card Rise. Used by Pros around the world. No other thread comes close to the quality. Ask around, this is the best. 600 foot spool, very limited, just obtained a small quantity of these larger spools. This elastic may also be split to very fine thread for loops if you have the patience. Very limited

So if someone could ignore the word invisible, and determine if that is the same as Prym I would appreciate it.
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2018, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2018, Jumbopenny wrote:
Quote:

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to write invisible. The website calls it invisible but I think that's a bit of typo. It's not invisible but good for card rising and such.

This is the written description form the website:

elastic thread for card rise, used by JB Magic and Eric Jones to make and repair their great effects using elastic thread. Best for Kundalini Card Rise, Angel Card Rise. Used by Pros around the world. No other thread comes close to the quality. Ask around, this is the best. 600 foot spool, very limited, just obtained a small quantity of these larger spools. This elastic may also be split to very fine thread for loops if you have the patience. Very limited

So if someone could ignore the word invisible, and determine if that is the same as Prym I would appreciate it.

My error. I didn't notice the part where you said to scroll down to the bottom. I was comparing Prym to the EVE thread on that page.
Now I'll answer your question. Prym is not the same as the JB Magic/Eric Jones thread. The reason I say this is that the Prym thread can't be split into thinner strands as the other thread. However, I assure you that Prym is very strong and resilient. I don't know how invisible you need it to be, but a Prym band wrapped around your hand or a deck of cards is invisible unless you are looking for it. Kinda like a TT. You won't notice it unless you You know about it. Although If you hang a piece of Prym in mid air people will absolutely see it. Hope that helps.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Thanks for the info Jumbopenny.
You seem to really know your threads.
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2018, videoman wrote:
Thanks for the info Jumbopenny.
You seem to really know your threads.

No problem. I really appreciate the help I've received from others here, and am glad if I can do so in return.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Best Gimmick currently for Kundalini rising type effect? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL