The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Testimonial Protocol (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1904 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I think of customer reviews on an independent site are different than hand picked ones on a company website. The only testimonials I would ever pay attention to are ones that are specific to a particular aspect of the product or service that match a specific need. Things like “He was awesome” “She was amazing” and such mean nothing to me.

Gerry- great topic and interesting discussion.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1364 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Thanks Charlie.

I hope things are going well for you in Med School. Maybe you'll be the next Dr. Albo.

Gerry
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Gerry first things first CONGRATULATIONS on a successful performance and happy customer. As to the use of ACTUAL things said by someone about your show, as far as I know it is perfectly legitimate to use anything said publicly about you. It's also to my knowledge appropriate and acceptable to use the TRUTH in your advertising. A very dear friend of mine worked for Murry Povich and while not getting a testimonial, did say in his list of credits work for the man. I myself had used some of my famous clients names in my advertising as well.

So don't worry about using the truth in your promotional materials. It's not only legal but the right thing to do. Some people really care about such things and while it really doesn't say much about you will bring work to you.
To hate those who hate is righteous.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The problem of course is the quote in question was not public. It was in an email. So your entire point had absolutely nothing to do with his question.

Many company email addresses have specific prohibitions against the exact thing you are encouraging him to do. I know mine has a footer about the information only being for the recipient.

So if it was a public comment then all bets are off. In an email it can be entirely different.

In this case being in the email can make all the difference in the world. It could easily get the person it is attributed to in trouble and even him for using it.

Listing them as a client is way different than attributing a quote.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
1625 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On May 18, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Gerry first things first CONGRATULATIONS on a successful performance and happy customer. As to the use of ACTUAL things said by someone about your show, as far as I know it is perfectly legitimate to use anything said publicly about you. It's also to my knowledge appropriate and acceptable to use the TRUTH in your advertising. A very dear friend of mine worked for Murry Povich and while not getting a testimonial, did say in his list of credits work for the man. I myself had used some of my famous clients names in my advertising as well.

So don't worry about using the truth in your promotional materials. It's not only legal but the right thing to do. Some people really care about such things and while it really doesn't say much about you will bring work to you.

'Cause getting someone who spoke well of you fired is DEFINITELY the way to build a solid repeat client list.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1364 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
All I can say is that I'm glad I posted this topic here and that I also heeded to the great advice given here as well.

I was on the fence about this, but still leaning toward just coming out and asking permission.

(t was a great email testimonial and a company as highly regarded as Disney.)

Oh well, at least I can mention the company on my website, so that will have to suffice for now.

Again, many thanks to all.

Gerry
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
718 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
You can also use a reputation management system to help collect reviews consistently and deal with any negative reviews.
These software platforms can run from $45 a month to $1800 a year

But most people ignore people that don't have current reviews in Google and / or below a 4 star average.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
1625 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On May 18, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Chris simply pointed out that if a person asks you not to attribute their words, then for long term relationships maybe it would be best not to. It was simply another point of view.

Then you attacked us.

Exactly. More so - When it comes to anything that could be related as a company's specific endorsement of your show (ie: John Smith of Microsoft says, "This show was great, I think everyone should hire him!"), you must get permission in writing before using any part of that.

Because if one uses a quote like that, without permission, it could get the person quoted in a lot of trouble. That person will then have very negative feelings which will likely be expressed to their cohorts, which is not good for business.

Senor is very fond of making statements and then getting mad when they are countered.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
18822 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Many performers have a "me" perspective. Can "I" do this?

Often they forget that there is another side to the equation. It is usually the most important side in a relationship in which you want them to purchase your services.

Instead of "can" the question is "should" and that is what the OP was asking. It is fantastic that he was asking the question.

I think this quote from the OP is the crux of the matter. "Well, it turns out their company policy forbids giving testimonials. So while this person told me he would love to do this for me, his hands are tied on the matter."

This IS the answer and why anyone wants to make a lot of noise about using "ACTUAL" things people said is beyond me. The client has asked him not to, and as it turns out the company specifically forbids him from giving quotes. If the company takes the time to bother to have a policy it is best to stay within those guidelines completely regardless of what the "TRUTH" might be.

You can use actual things said, and tell the truth in your advertising and get the gentleman in trouble at his company and lose a client. Both of those things can happen after you did a fantastic enough job to get the guy to tell you how much he liked the show.

Personally I would not go about things in that fashion. Other's mileage may vary.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Cleverpaws
View Profile
New user
Northern California
66 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
Testimonials can always be faked, whether you say "john smith of Microsoft says:..." or you just say "a recent customer says..." You can still use john smith's quote, just don't put his name in it. I don't put customers names on my testimonials as many people like to keep their privacy. However you can put John S. of California says "..." without getting in trouble. And if people do not believe your testimonials, they are probably not going to like your performance either.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
1625 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On May 19, 2018, Cleverpaws wrote:
And if people do not believe your testimonials, they are probably not going to like your performance either.

I don't think the two are all that related. I've read plenty of glowing testimonials I believed were absolutely true, for shows/products I absolutely did not like. I've read reviews I thought were faked for shows/products I thought were excellent.

I will concede that if they think your testimonial is fake, there's a good chance they won't bother seeing your show, though.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On May 19, 2018, Cleverpaws wrote:
you say "john smith of Microsoft says:..." or you just say "a recent customer says..." You can still use john smith's quote, just don't put his name in it. I don't put customers names on my testimonials as many people like to keep their privacy. However you can put John S. of California says "..." without getting in trouble.

EXACTLY! To bad others can't see past their own conformation bias. If they could they might learn something? Oh and again madness is for the mentally challenged. I DON'T GET MAD.
To hate those who hate is righteous.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Testimonial Protocol (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL