The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Perhaps a recurring theme (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
This is either a really good idea, or a really vague goal.

I’m starting(?) a series of musings regarding street magic and the performance thereof, both in the present, as well as how it was in the recent past.

If you like that sort of thing, you might find it worthwhile.

As always, suggestions, questions and critiques (if anyone dare), are most welcome.

https://youtu.be/AJJWNoyaoDA
Zauberman
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Zauberman
Fantastic!!!!
Will look forward to your musings Smile
JohnChaos13
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of JohnChaos13
I love this idea. Please post more!
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
Hello Eric,

I think this is a fantastic idea!
People should and most likely want to Here about streetperformers.

Plenty of stories I’m sure.
All the best,
Nickoli
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
349 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Wonderful Eric!

Look forward to hearing all of it!

Gary K.
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
I am looking forward to the videos. Would love to hear stories about cities you have performed in as well as what it has been like to live on the road.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Thanks for all the support and positive thoughts, I really appreciate you all.

As for the idea of reviewing pitches, that’s a good one D. Yoder (if that’s your real name. Maybe I should refer to you as Dr. D). In spite of the fact that cities and their pitches constantly change, much remains the same.
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
Actually I just go by Doc. Smile
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
This Ideas remind me of the book “Passing the Hat”
I’m so surprised that someone has not takin that
format and updated it.
Great read if you have not seen or heard of this book try to get your hands on it.
Now Eric if this is way off from what your hoping to do no offense.
Just some thoughts.
Nickoli
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Hi Eric,

Just got to watch it and think it's a great idea. I'll watch anything you put up. Also were all still waiting on your next book.

Chance
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
I was lucky enough to find a read a copy of “Passing the Hat” when I was 16 or so? I’m pretty sure it came out in ‘77, or around there anyway. You’re right Nick, it’s a great book.

My first entry for my vlog is now up. Please lemme know what y’all think.

https://youtu.be/-6rYKksq19I
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
I enjoyed it very much, Eric! Thanks for doing these.
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Eric,

I watched both videos and have subbed to the channel. Really good stuff, and I look forward to future videos.

There is a series of books that this reminded me off, called "Letters to a Young _____", One was "Letters to a Young Teacher" for example. The book was written by an experienced teacher, and had an interesting format that reminds me of what you've done. In the book, each chapter would be formatted as the reply to a fictional young teacher, who had written asking for assistance on a topic.

While on the surface it may seem contrived, it allowed the writer to gather his thoughts around a single idea. He could take anecdotal stories, direct advice and instruction etc, and wrap them around a central theme. By posing the challenge to himself as trying to solve someones problem, it distilled discrete pieces of information into a single idea, and directed them with purpose.

So for instance, in the first main video, you speak about...

1. The history of the wand
2. Relating to a Crowd
3. Proper frame of mind

What would have been helpful is to know what the thread connecting these ideas was going to be. That way the lessons to be learned come into sharper focus. Looking back, I would say the thread is the performers relationship with the crowd. History of wands turns into the Cellini line, and how you changed it to related better as yourself with the crowd. That idea of releasing tension follows into the story about joey joey, because you can't privilege yourself above the audience. Which again follows into the Holiday story.

I'm not saying you need to adopt the form, just that it might be a helpful way of thinking about the content. I adored the video and I can't wait for more.

A really quick way to add more structure would be to say exactly what you want to say, then at the end, film a conclusion, and then finally an intro. After you've had the conversation you'll know what the theme is. Cut the intro off the end, put it at the start, and it will form a much more structured piece.

Other video editing tips:
1. Pause between thoughts and don't say anything so you can have clean edits in the audio.
2. When you know you're jumping between thoughts hold up a notebook or something so that you can find the exact spots to make cuts easily while scrolling through the video in the editing bar.
3. You can easily find a ton of places online that offer royalty free music, and music under a creative commons license, so that you can use it in your videos without having to pay anyone. A lot of it is surprisingly good. Also for short money you can have high end intros done by people online if you want to add another layer of polish.

Anyway, I have more thoughts on this but I won't hijack your threat. Great stuff and I can't wait for more. -MV
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
MVoss, that has to be the most insightful, profound and informative feedback I've received since I began this journey, thank you very much. I'll read over what you wrote many times I'm sure to insure that I incorporate your advice in future efforts.

I must admit that I'm very disappointed in YouTube in general though. Looking over the analytics is depressing. Everyone's attention is so short, I'm surprised anyone learns anything there. So I'll have to either confine my efforts to under 5 minutes in length, or look to augmenting them with podcasts that can afford me more time to discuss in depth the topics that I want to cover. As well as be able to interview some friends and have some good conversations along the way.

In the meantime I'll continue plugging along on my present course looking to improve, if not the content, at least the efficiency with which I express the bullet point or two that I can cover in the short time allotted.
hou_dini
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of hou_dini
Subscribed. Understand the complications of Utube and short sttention spans.
Anyway you could takk for hours and I’d listen. Keep on doing this.
It is informative and inspiring, not to mention the historical knowledge you impart to us.
Thanks—JK
JohnChaos13
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of JohnChaos13
Eric, I am with hou_dini on this one. I say keep them long. People look for knowledge will sit and watch, even if they have to break it into chunks. But I learned a lot from you first video and can't wait to watch more.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
The latest installment is up. In some ways I’m happy with it but in most, not so much.

I hope you enjoy it and find a few things of interest.

https://youtu.be/HsuiR8JEwPs
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Hey Eric,

Just finished watching the new video. The music and pictures added a lot of production value and made the whole thing a lot more slick. The quotes on the front end also did a nice job of framing the idea and connecting it to something larger then just magic which I think is always helpful. You seemed to appreciate my feedback previously so I'll try and do the same, but if at any point I over stay my welcome please let me know.

Thoughts on this video:
It seems as though you had two ideas here. Theories on stopping crowds, and the importance of having the right mindset. I wonder if it would have been better in this instance to start with the story, then use that as a teaching example to talk about headspace, then finally finish up with practical advice for stopping crowds? If I were to layout the video, using the same content, I would do it in this order.

1. Intro
2. Catching Up (What you've been doing, odds and ends)
3. Memorial Day thanks
4. Story about not being in the right headspace
5. Explanation on the importance of proper frame of mind
6. Here are two ways to start a show, and how frame of mind plays into each off them
7. Outro

One thing I'm left wondering is why exactly you had trouble starting shows. You mention it's because the others arrived in the city, but not what specifically changed. Coming from my own experience, my guess is that performing around other artists you know and respect invites an uncomfortable possibility of judgement, along with a general mental fatigue from traveling. But that isn't spelled out exactly, I'm just guessing based on my own experience.

I would like to know how much experience you had at that point, and what exactly pushed you out of the right headspace, because that would be illuminating. Did you have a lot of experience already but being around more seasoned performers psyched you out? Was it all travel fatigue? Had you gone overseas so get away from everyone, only to find them suddenly near you again? I think there are interesting questions to be examined in the reasoning that could be instructive. Why did going to see Cellini help? I can guess that it was good to get pointers and support from a mentor, but I think this is fertile ground for a discussion.

View Time and Video Length:
You mentioned being disappointed in viewing times from the audience. I enjoy the longer format, I think there is something to be said for picking out useful pieces of information rather than having it spoon fed, but if you want to push up your view times you can use a technique that other channels use. As you edit your video, cut off a small chunk, for instance, 4 minutes about one technique for gathering a crowd, and post that as a stand alone video. On the front end say, "this is an excerpt from a longer video coming out at the end of the week." People will likely watch the whole shorter video who might not always watch the longer one, and if you hook them with something they want to know more about they will watch the full video later. That way you don't have to cut down or produce more content, but you hook more people and double your money so to speak. But I bet with the increased production value you'll see better view times.

Increasing Engagement:
A trick that a lot of youtubers use to drive up video engagement is to pose a question to be answered in the comments. Using this video as an example, "Do you have a story about not being in the right headspace for a show?" or "Which method of stopping people has been more successful for you?" A general question that produces stories from the audience. Once they begin talking, they talk to each other, the crowd builds the crowd. Another idea is to pose two ideas for a topic, saying you have material for both, and then ask people to comment which they would rather see.

I wish I knew anything about editing in iMovie so I could help there, but I've never done it. That being said I looked up a video on Youtube, the girl is not my style, but as a case study in working the angles in Youtube she actually does really good. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpwYD0uQzk ) further it has some good iMovie stuff. Even if the iMovie stuff isn't what you need, she knows what she is doing from a video production stand point.

Anyway I hope this is helpful. I really enjoy the videos and appreciate the effort. The jump in production value went a long way. -MV
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
MV <<< Hat tip

Maybe someday I might hire you as a producer?
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Man MVoss has an eye for 'the flowers'(!),
...and the art of making bouquets!

Great writing MVoss.
Great thought.

Great video Eric!...!
,..i'm one of those guys,
watching 3 minutes,
turning it off,..
coming back later,
....watching another 2 minutes,...
Nothing personal(!),..
we're swamped!
The weather is feathering us.
+ The audience are curious.
+ ,....the Shows carrying themselves.
= Little time.

I enjoy watching and listening, though.
Thanks.

Actually I'm writing,
because,
I thought it was cool,
...thanking the Magic Café,
at the end of this last video!

I thought that was pretty cool and righteous.

'The Café' gets a lot of hits and kicks and bumps,
but it's always here,..
open,..
and lets us labber!
It's nice you mentioned it,....positively.

Have a good one.
Keep it between the trees.
Gallagher
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Perhaps a recurring theme (16 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL