The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » The best Closeup Linking Ring Routine EVER! (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
So many kind words! Though these compliments are loved and appreciated, does anyone have any constructive advice to offer? Smile this is going to be my conpetition peice ao I want it tonbe as toght as possible.
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Since you ask - and it would be OK to perform as is, especially since you are comfortable with this - vital!

in the early part you transfer the ring to your right hand and pretend to hand to the spectator. Later, when you have them actually take the ring from you,
you do not transfer to right hand. This might suggest "sleight" over "most magic object" in your intro. I suggest you drop the ring into your right hand before having them pick it up.

when you change to the larger rings I suggest you repeat the "most magical object" statements, perhaps, "we all know rings are magical. This power is not limited to fingerings. All rings are portals to magic." Just congruency on the theme that the ring is magic and not you.

I would eliminate any reference to "holes," "soft spots," etc. Why introduce the notion? (don't run if not being chased) The rings are magical - period!

You offer incredible and unusual demonstrates on this fact. Why dilute it in any manner?

In the middle phase you do an exciting/profound apparent removal of the finger ring after switching in the 'bonded set." -- a great use of a Utility Switch. This both 'proves' the set you will soon hand out to be un-gimmicked, but also attention away for the fact that it is your ring being linked. Great! Is there another place in the routine where you can use this form of "preemptive" affirmation? You do have a bit of finger fumbling at one point - either needing practice or confidence.

In this video you are performing for, and engaging only two people. I assume from comment that ofter the audience will be a larger group of an ideal 6-8. How will they be engaged? Do you plan on having only two folks be witnesses for the group? Or, do you plan on shifting to others as participants? Either approach has advantages and drawbacks. I am sure you can handle any situation "on the fly" and do the right thing for that audience and setting. My concern is over those observing your work and trying to emulate without understanding audience engagement issues. So, I suggest that as this becomes a "signature piece" some attention should be made to instructing on this end. This is not an effect for all audiences in all settings.

As a "competition piece" your audience will be magicians or those familiar with close-up magic. Those inspired by your work to borrow ideas or copy exactly what they perceive from a video may destroy the effect though inadvertent or deliberate reveals or perform with improper audience engagement. I mean this to be constructive. Your abilities and passion can have an affect on all readers here on the Café and elsewhere. We are an audience too (and market) that must be engaged with tenderness.

It is not your fault that your creativity might be reduced to copy-cat fumbling - but ...
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Thank you so much for an in depth and critical reaponse! I 100% agree about the ring transfer at the befinning. I will give it a go and see how it feels (just need to make a concious effort to do so because that portion of the routine is almost automatic for mw now haha.)

This is a formal closeup peice so it is meant to be performed at a table worh one spectator on either side plus an audience of 10-20 people. I do however like to push my closeup table forward to the front row so they are basically sitting at the twbke as well. This way I have a good 5-6 people to hand things to and use as participants. I try to have as many people involved as possible. The full show is about 18 minutes long wit this performance being the middle segment of a 3 prt act. The beer (or soda) seems a tad bit random in this video haha but is given more context overall during the full show haha

For strolling, I do not do the entire performance. Usually just the finger ring and ninja ring (ninja+) stuff. The routine is only about 2.5 minutes long for strolling so that I may have time for other effects too.

As for magicians ripping me off. Honestly I will be releasing detailed instructions on Ninja+ ver very soon with a new project I am working on (hence the asking for any feedback) I would like to include as much positive contributions to this effect as I can. Not only do I olan to teach moves, but also talk about performance theory and motivations behind why I do certain things. Some things as simple as your suggestion on the transfer of the finger ring can have glhuge inpacts on audience perception. I have been in love with rin magic since the beginning of my career and so this in many ways is sort of my way of sharing that passion with the community. Will some butcher it? Yea probobly. But I thibk the amount of positivity that may cone from sharing this will inspire trye pros to dust off their rings and start doing something more origibal that suits their own personality (much like the wedding ring and bottle opener does for me.)

Thanks so much for the feedback. This has really been a highlight of my career so far working on this.
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Here is the Barblade Segment of the effect just as its own piece. Sometimes I will perform just this portion of the effect when strolling as well. It gets great reactions, especially the part where you link in their hands!

Barblade Performance HERE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMyYuOflqZs&feature=youtu.be
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Beautiful work, OB! Congrats!
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Thank you again so much for the kind words! I have just a few more videos slowly coming out on this topic, then I will more or less be putting this thread to bed haha.

A few of you have asked me about how I do my barblade spinning. I wasnt going to release a barblade spinning tutorial, but since some people asked, I made it anyway haha. It isn't a magic effect so I have problem “exposing it” on a public forum. I was actually disappointed to learn there are hardly any videos teaching barblade spinning at all. So I made up my own little flourish haha.

Maybe either a fun little party trick to show your friends, or a great addition to your set if you are doing bar magic. Smile

https://youtu.be/liabXLJ8v7o
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3510 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2018, obrienmagic wrote:
Thank you again so much for the kind words! I have just a few more videos slowly coming out on this topic, then I will more or less be putting this thread to bed haha.

A few of you have asked me about how I do my barblade spinning. I wasnt going to release a barblade spinning tutorial, but since some people asked, I made it anyway haha. It isn't a magic effect so I have problem “exposing it” on a public forum. I was actually disappointed to learn there are hardly any videos teaching barblade spinning at all. So I made up my own little flourish haha.

Maybe either a fun little party trick to show your friends, or a great addition to your set if you are doing bar magic. Smile

Thank you. Much like a butterfly knife only no sharp blades that can slice and dice knuckles.
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2018, Wravyn wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2018, obrienmagic wrote:

Thank you. Much like a butterfly knife only no sharp blades that can slice and dice knuckles.

Yeah it kind of is huh? Haha I like to try to do ransom little talents like this for people. I also learned how to playthe spoons justbecause. Every so often ill bust them out and people will be like “i didn't know you play the spoons!” Haha the barblade spinning usually gets a whoa that was cool! Reaction whether I am lerforming magic or just at a party opening a beer.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » The best Closeup Linking Ring Routine EVER! (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL