The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » I'll never meet Cellini (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
So, this started as part of a reply I was making to a post by Eric Evans about a series of YouTube videos he is putting together. But the more I thought about it, the more I felt like it was a broader topic. Maybe it's just late at night and I'm into just enough Riesling to be nostalgic for lives I've never lived, but I have a thought I'd like to share.

I'll never be able to meet Cellini.

That being said, in some small way I can experience him. By watching the things he filmed, reading his writing, and listening to people talk about him. In that way, until the world ends, he is eternal. But I wonder, how many people who didn't get in videos, or write books, are lost to this community, forever, every year? lot of street performers never made videos, they never wrote books, and all the knowledge they had ended with them. Or if they passed it on, maybe it didn't leave the next person. I'm not just talking about knowledge in a practical sense, but also the stories, the history, the essence of the people and the times. What makes me truly sad is the thought of all the stories I'll never get to hear because the people that know them, didn't pass them on. All the lessons I'll never learn, all the jokes I'll never get a chance to laugh at.

Jimmy's Blog, Eric's videos, posts from Gallagher, Nala's videos, all the content here and around the web, all of these things, are gifts to the future. We can only build a better future when we have the past. Isn't that what all of this is about? Getting better, sharing?

I guess my point then comes in two parts, a thank you, and a request.

First the thank you. So thank you to all the people here and around this community who try and record their thoughts for the future. I appreciate the effort made to preserve not just these ideas, but these people, for me, and for everyone that comes after me. It's not easy, but it means a lot. It's important work.

Second the request. Right now, in this moment in time, saving memories is easier than it ever has been. Filming has never been easier, and uploading things to the internet is essentially free. It has never been easier to save the history of a community than it is right now. If you have something to share please share it. If you can find a way to sell it you totally should, I'm not asking for hand outs. I just want the information preserved. The stories, the jokes, the culture, and the history.

Someday will we all be gone. Maybe there will be no magicians, no street performers. But, if the information exists, if it is out there, it can be the spark that lights someones imagination aflame like it did for me. Like it did for all of us once.

I apologize for the schmaltz. But I just wanted to say thanks, and encourage people to think about the future.
drmolarmagic
View Profile
New user
Brooklyn NY
54 Posts

Profile of drmolarmagic
Thanks for the thoughts....all too true and...all good ideas
Bruce
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
457 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Nice piece.
My mother was a lifelong letter writer, starting as a teenager. When she died, at 92, she left mountains of letters from penpals around the globe, from decades long past. Fascinating stories from the lives of people long dead.
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
457 Posts

Profile of epoptika
Now that the art of letter writing is largely dead I wonder how future historians will write their histories?
gallagher
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of gallagher
What a beautiful Post.

"....it can be the spark that lights someones imagination aflame like it did for me. Like it did for all of us once."

What a thought.
It made me hair stand up.
Really.
...and I'm half bald.

Thanks MVoss.
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Thanks for he kind words. As for future historians, I suppose they will go by social media accounts, which terrifies me. Lol
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2790 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Scott Joplin is one of my favorite composers, so I've read a few books about his life. For someone so famous, there are a lot of holes in the record. But one thing several mention is that there was one particular guy who wrote and played piano rags at the same time who was very, very good. Some folks said he was better than Joplin. However, unlike Joplin, he couldn't read or write music. He lived and died before audio recording, when music had to be written down to survive. So, his music died with him, same as if it never existed.

MVoss is so right - great art needs to be preserved for posterity.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
As an aside, Joplin is so good. Rare to find people that enjoy ragtime these days, bravo.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » I'll never meet Cellini (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL