The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Rices assistant 20th century silks (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tecumilic
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of tecumilic
Hello peapole in rice volume 2 page 954 there is a 20th century silk effect labeled assistany 20th century. The effect seems amazing but requires a lot of special silks there is also an reapeat 20th century silk on page 953 both of these seem interesting to me. Especially the first one. So where can I buy the materials for this effect? If I can not buy the materials anymore then can the effect be customized whith other more standard silks so that I can perfrom any one of these? So basically any guidence about the effect or personal experiance is appreciated VERY much. Anything that can help me get closer to me actually peforming this uniuqe miracle. Thanck you
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Check with your local magic shop to see if any of the silks needed are in stock or can be ordered. Check with local sewing shops for the snaps needed to sew onto the silks. An alternative these days is to use Velcro tabs OR strong neodymium magnets sewn into a corner of the silk.

If the silks you want aren't readily available to you, go to Dharma Trading company on-line ( https://www.dharmatrading.com/ ) and order the silks in white, then order the dyes you need to transform them into the color silks you want. Sew on snaps, Velcro, or magnets and be proud of your new skills.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I remember the late Tony Marx, doing a "20th C Silks routine, back in the early '70s. He had produced "extra" silks, but he worked alone. It was pretty, but IMO, he had much better stuff. He worked solo. It got laughs.

I looked up the trick in Harold's Encyclopedia. I think that it's a lot of setup.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Tony Marks (note the spelling) did a great version of the repeat 20th century and ended up with a chain of silks. He used his table to hold one end (there was a tiny ring on one end of the silks that looped over a projecting nailhead) and he held the other. With the right music , this could still be a knockout. in fact, I am thinking of doing his version as explained in the Bev Bergeron book myself!

And Dick is correct, there is a bit of setup and a bundle switch as well.

Jonathan Neal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Right Jonathan! I only saw Tony once, in a night club in Wichita,Kansas, in 1975. I had forgotten a few details!

In his thimble routine, he tossed the produced thimbles into his box, one at a time. He missed with one or two. He adlibbed: "I must get a bigger box!

Perhaps, being an old school show guy, always thinking about set up time, I was a bit too "quick" to "dismiss" his repeat 20C!

Tony and I, after the show, spent a couple hours over an "early" breakfast! Thanks for the correct spelling of his name.

I had heard about his act (from DORNY) and made a special effort to see him. THAT rabbit was wonderful (production AND VANISH!).

Dick
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Ii know what you are saying about detail! And Tony’s act was all about detail!

I never saw the act, but I admired it just from reading the book. If you have any more tidbits about his act... please share?
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I like the I need a bigger box line
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The book is great.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On May 29, 2018, JNeal wrote:
Ii know what you are saying about detail! And Tony’s act was all about detail!

I never saw the act, but I admired it just from reading the book. If you have any more tidbits about his act... please share?

It's so long ago, and, as you've said, Tony's act was so detailed, that I've forgotten many of those details! Howsomever (!) if I "suddenly" remember anything, I'll certainly write!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Dick:

You left your US Navy Ballcap here on Monday!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Aha! I'll PM you.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Rices assistant 20th century silks (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL