The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » James Munton's "The Little Book of Quotes" (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
I just purchased James Munton's "The Little Book of Quotes". Needless to say, it is an easy read on the directions of how to utilize this effect.

I tried it out, as per the instructions, and it worked perfectly. I intend to use this book in my shows for adults. I highly recommend it to anyone doing a mind reading/mentalism act. The secret to doing this is so easy, but the volunteer and members of the audience will never figure out how you did it.

If you want this book, go to Amazon and check out "The Little Book of Quotes" by James Munton.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1980520232/ref......bMYRX750

Well worth the price shown.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Thanks for alerting us to this new book test. A key question comes to mind: From what perspective were the quotations selected? What do they have in common? Is there an overall theme or imaginary world or story in which the collection makes some sense? I ask because not all quotations are created equal, or equally useful for performance!

Also, is the reveal as limited as the Amazon description suggests? They read a whole quotation and you can tell them a word in the quotation?

Thanks,

George
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Glenn, thank you for the very kind review my friend (which I promise was unsolicited!)

George, to answer your questions... this is not a new book test. I first put this out a few years ago. I don't really sell products, but I put together this book test to use at my own shows. At the time, it was much cheaper to print out multiple copies than a single book for myself so I printed a few and sold them to a few magic stores. I didn't really do anything to promote them,

Recently, my rather dog-eared and well-used personal copy finally bit the dust, so I looked into printing some more and now Amazon allows you to print one at a time quite cheaply. Thus, it is available again.

This was more information than you needed, wasn't it?!

Anyway... here is the routine as your audience sees it - a quotation from a book of 100 famous (and quite genuine) quotations by people such as Arthur C. Clarke, George Bernard Shaw, Walt Disney, etc. is very freely selected. An audience member is asked to read the quotation and focus on a single word. The word is revealed by the mind reading magician to wild applause!

In truth, only one word from the quotation can be revealed, but due to my clever scripting, the audience perceives that the helper has a free choice of ANY word in the quotation.

I perform this at stand-up and strolling gigs - you can do this trick one-on-one as Glenn did and it will be completely baffling. In fact, I challenge you to figure out the secret yourself before reading the instructions. You can hand the book to someone and it appears completely innocent - just a book of famous quotes which could be checked for authenticity (although I got them all from the Internet, so don't blame me if any are wrongly attributed!)

I include a complete script and here is a secret I didn't include in the instructions... when I do a stand-up show, I read out a couple of funny quotations from the book which are relevant to the audience. e.g. if it is a group of accountants, I'll read a pithy quote about numbers or money. These customized quotations are not in the book, I just pretend they are and nobody ever knows!

Let me know if you have any other questions. I have literally used this book test over a thousand times, so I feel somewhat of an expert!
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Oh and I should add, it is NOT the same word every time, thus you can repeat the routine - not that you really should.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Thanks, James, for your thoughtful and warm response.

George
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

James, this will be a great new mind reading performance to present with my puppet, Hesteni, when I do a show with him. I cannot thank you enough for putting this out. All I have shown this too are baffled on how I know the word in the quote. They look through the book to see if they can figure it out and hand it back with a defeated look on their face.
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
SO glad you are enjoying it!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
This sounds very interesting, I just talked myself into ordering - it's a very reasonable price.... I'll add my thoughts here when it arrives.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Received this today. It's not bad. There are 100 different quotes and they are all real and different. Before reading the instructions, I had a close look and did notice part of the method, but not all of it. I doubt an audience member would have a clue, even having a reasonably close look.

The quotes are numbered from 1-100, and you ask the audience to choose a number. Then you have the participant read the quote at that number and you reveal a word from it. You do have to know the number, though you could of course use some type of p**k if you wanted to make it more impossible.

This is a single word revelation, which is fine, but one issue I have is that there is no real way to steer the participant to the relevant word. They basically read the quote and you tell them one of the key words in it. This is somewhat covered by scripting, and perhaps the audience will perceive that the participant could have selected any word, but it is something to consider. As such, it's not as strong one on one.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

The volunteer chose the quote with the word "Finish" in it. I told them when they finish reading the quote to themselves, let me know. Then, I feigned surprise and mentioned the word "finish" was in the quote. They acted surprised and affirmed it was in the quote.

I used two people to get the number of the quote and asked the first volunteer if they wanted the two numbers to be the first set or second. She chose the second which allowed me to know the key word in the quote.

It was a great session with them. They wanted another try but time did not allow me so I promised to do it again when we all got together again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » James Munton's "The Little Book of Quotes" (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL