The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What is this illusion called, please? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bert Coules
View Profile
New user
Romney Marsh, England
85 Posts

Profile of Bert Coules
An open-frame production of a person, as performed by Mandy Muden on Britain's Got Talent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AGMg91t4sE

starting at 4 mins 20 secs.

I'm looking for something similar for a stage play and I wonder if this is a commercial design. Many thanks.
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
This illusion is called " Grabel's circular production cabinet" and it can be found in The Magic and illusions of Lee Grabel book.

Paul Daniels did a fantastic version on his tv show ( February 1990 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2xbUsTigK8

Since you are in the UK it might be a good idea to contact Scott Penrose... ( he has experience with this illusion and I wouldn't be suprised if he was involved with Mandy's version )
Bert Coules
View Profile
New user
Romney Marsh, England
85 Posts

Profile of Bert Coules
Thanks very much for that. Given that absolutely nothing about Mandy Muden's version is actually circular, I wouldn't have deduced that name in a million years. Paul D's *is* circular of course but strikes me as a little less deceptive.

Thinking about it, though in many ways it's ideal for what I want (fast, dramatic reveal in mid-stage) I'm not sure I can guarantee that our actor will be limber enough and there's also what might be a fairly bulky costume to consider. But it's certainly still well worth considering.

What's the copyright situation with regard to a published illusion? Does the Grabel book include information on licencing?

I might start another thread outlining exactly what we need and the performance conditions; with luck some other suggestions might be made. I'd certainly be grateful.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
The prop Mandy used on BGT belongs (or belonged) to magician Jamie Allen. It is a one off build. I don’t know if Mandy bought it from Jamie or if she hired it from him. If you are interested get in touch with Jamie Allen.

I spent a bit of time with this prop and can vouch for it as a great self contained production. It can be used and operated by a solo performer and can also produce one or two people.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Bert Coules
View Profile
New user
Romney Marsh, England
85 Posts

Profile of Bert Coules
Thanks for that. I'm grateful for the information but as I said to RVH Magic, I'm not sure that the prop is ideal for my purpose: a pity, since the effect is splendid. I really need a production which permits the actor to be standing before he comes into view. I've started a separate thread in this forum, asking for suggestions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What is this illusion called, please? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL