The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looking for an opening trick (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
drewster211
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of drewster211
Hi all,

I’m putting together an act based around the paranormal and want a opening trick. I want someone to think of an object/animal etc... and I have already predicted it on an envelope that’s been in full view the whole time. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be amazing!

Cheers

Scott
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1582 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2018, drewster211 wrote:
Hi all,

I’m putting together an act based around the paranormal and want a opening trick. I want someone to think of an object/animal etc... and I have already predicted it on an envelope that’s been in full view the whole time. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be amazing!

Cheers

Scott

Welcome !

Well, the best way would be Inject by Greg Rostami actually, use it with a gallery of images and you predict the image they randomly swipe to.

Olivier
Author of 10S Star Sign Divination - olivier.ceierry@gmail.com for a digital copy.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
You could also use a similar technique (that's been around a long time) from any word by ben Williams (I think that's what it was called).

Sleepy
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2018, drewster211 wrote:
Hi all,

Cheers

Scott

learn a basic prediction effect. They go a long way. If you are a magician do a simple f###e with object or animal cards

Don't get too complex
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Two possible solutions you might want to investigate and consider:

"D.I.Y. Divination Discs" in The Wizards' Journal #31, which is based on Ali Bongo's "Divination Discs", shows you how to make your own discs using pictures rather than obscure symbols, and designing sets of discs for every season and theme that you might want to celebrate. Now that you know which animal has been secretly and freely chosen (for example)you can use a method (included) by Tommy Windsor to show that you predicted what would be freely chosen and sealed it in an envelope which has been visible since before the spectator every made the choice.

Alternatively, you can go directly from a free choice of up to 20 different objects ( or animals) to the prediction found in your Three-Way Wallet (also created by Ali Bongo) that I show you how to make from Dollar Store sources which has the chosen object written down. The wallet can be in full view or even held by a spectator the entire time from before the object was chosen. That method can be found in The Wizards' Journal #34 - "Flip Flop Folders".
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Why start your show with a prediction effect?
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Dr Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, UK
203 Posts

Profile of Dr Ross
Some things that just sprang to mind:

- Art Vanderlay has a nice little animal prediction effect on his Penguin Live Lecture.

- 'Oxford Comma' by Chris Rawlins (from his 'Mind Experiments') could work nicely.

- The use of a solid P***********l !@#$e combined with the principle underlying 'Thought Chunnel' (Joshua Quinn) and 'Leviathan' (Francis Girola).

Ross
Ross Bartels

Author of:
'Vector' (propless code divination) https://www.mindfx.co.uk/products/vector-by-ross-bartels-e-book
'Janken' (propless RPS effects) - limited release
'Tacitus' (non-verbal propless effect) - limited release
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2017 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
What Philemon said. Prediction effects, being generally less plausible to the typical lay mind than (say) memory, telepathy, and influence effects, are more usually (and logically) performed nearer then end of a performance than the beginning.

George
mike herbert
View Profile
New user
mike herbert
53 Posts

Profile of mike herbert
Another thing to think about is what is your persona, what you are about and what are you trying to say in your act. For example how did you make your prediction, if indeed it is a prediction. This will influence what "trick" you choose. Then how do you make it convincing. It may be that you haven't made a prediction at all but telepathically sent a message to your subject, the note in the envelope is what you are trying to send.

I hope I am not telling you how to such eggs, and apologise if it comes across that way.

Mike
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Scott: For those who are "offended" that you would be breaking some kind of rule or law that an "opener CANNOT be a prediction", it's all a matter of presentation. You could combine a simple "Mutus Nomen Dedit Cocis" mind reading effect, like our "Santa-Mental" from Mini-Mysteries Book 4 on The Magic Nook, in which you rapidly read the thoughts of four different spectators (changing toys for animals if you prefer), and as a finale to that, have the envelopes or wallets reveal that you predicted what each person would choose before the show even started. Tell me THAT wouldn't make a fine opener and influence an audience to want to see and hear more amazing mental mysteries (which is, after all, the main purpose of an opener).

Don't be afraid to be different and try new things. Experience will tell you what works and what doesn't, better than those who have never seen you in action.
D Whitton
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of D Whitton
Gray elephant in Denmark
D Whitton
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of D Whitton
Or use a svenpad to force.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
First thing I thought of was the method from MMM in the trick called No/No. this allows for you to remove a handwritten prediction or target thought from a sealed envelope or even have your participant open the envelope and remove the prediction. It is one of those things that is so simple I wanted to kick myself for not thinking of it.

Patrick
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
If you are going to use a prediction effect as your opening, then you should probably limit it to something that appears to have a 50-50 chance.

That way it's quite plausible that you just got lucky, and you can then structure your show where you build up to harder ("less probable") predictions.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I don't remember the exact plot, but you might want to check into Kenton Knepper's Animal Attraction in his Wonder Words.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Corinda Step One

Barry
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of Lior
Try to use Nick Einhorn new app digital force bag.

Lior
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Agree with those who advocate introducing your character as your opening effect.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
If you want to be seen as a typical trickster, sure, there are a lot of good tricks, but if you want to go further not just in terms of personal expression but also in commercial aspects, work in you as the best opener.

People are attracted in our practice first for ourselves. Why you, and not other person?

If you want to take that route, you will learn and enjoy far more than just a trick. You will be the attraction, and if you want to learn about that, there are several books and mentors (inside and outside of Mentalism) that you can take.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
I am surprised that a number of Café members are informing someone on an open forum who has exactly one post how to accomplish something that he may have only seen and wants to know how it is done. No vetting at all. Notice the original poster has not responded to any of the posts yet, or has contributed at all to the Café community. While it is nice to be helpful, we should still be mindful of our obligation to all of our fellow performers to maintain an appropriate level of mystery and discretion regarding our art.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looking for an opening trick (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL