The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Someone asks you to "do a trick." What do you do? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1502 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I usually have Extreme Burn, Fire Wallet, bill switch, disappearing silk,bill breaker, a few coin tricks.
Anything besides a card trick.
Ihor
Wravyn
View Profile
Special user
815 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I carry my Grandpa's coins. He always had them with him and he played a game of 'pay attention'. So I share his game if someone wants to see something.

It's not always about being a trained monkey doing tricks or getting money for the time; when I play that game with someone, I can still hear my grandpa and that is special for me too.
gismo
View Profile
New user
Germany
50 Posts

Profile of gismo
I use Rostami's "doodle" for some mentalism ...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24010 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I never leave my house without Sponge Rabbits. There is an unlimited amount of things you can do with them. You will not need a table. The only thing you will need is a pocket to carry them around in.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1487 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
While I kind of understand the attitude of "I'm not a monkey - don't ask for tricks," I think it is the wrong attitude for this topic. If you perform for a living, I would expect you to be able to at least show why you get paid for your work. If someone asked me to design a steel framed building (engineering student at the moment), I wouldn't do it, but I would at least show a couple of the steps that go into the initial decision making process to give them an appreciation for what I do.

In the magic world, I see no reason to give away the A material, but I also see no reason to turn someone down. I mean how often do people respond to any mention of magic with "oh, my uncle used to do a trick," or "magic is for dorks," or similar comments? If they are actually showing interest, do you want them to leave with the impression that magic is apparently for elitist snobs and nobody else?

At the very least, vanish and reproduce a coin.

-Patrick
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Special user
854 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2018, Mr. Woolery wrote:
If they are actually showing interest, do you want them to leave with the impression that magic is apparently for elitist snobs

No I want them to go away with the impression that magic is an art form. And like other art forms, is something to be respected. Not thought of as something their uncle can do or something for dorks. Anyone can do a trick but only a magician, can do magic. That's the point of not performing, like a trained monkey.
To hate those who hate is righteous.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Someone asks you to "do a trick." What do you do? (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL