The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Taking Credit for Things as a Mentalist. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Scott
View Profile
Special user
UK
799 Posts

Profile of Scott
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2018, WitchDocChris wrote:

Uri came along at the right time to make those claims. People were in a position to mentally accept things like psychic abilities in the 60s, 70s, and into the 80s.

I don't think anyone today has had the proper strategy and skill set to make use of the types of claims that Geller built his career on.

I think you are dead on here. If you want to get the press involved and have them take you seriously (at least from a public interest point of view) the things you can realistically claim definitely need to reflect current social perception and you need to find a niche that enough people identify with for it to work.

Houdini filled a gap, Geller filled a gap and have you noticed these days less people seem to be getting abducted by UFO's and is it just me or has stuff stopped vanishing in the Bermuda triangle.

On a smaller scale it still works, but there is a fine line between being taken seriously and being ridiculed when it comes to the popular press.
Scott Creasey - Mind Reader

Original Routines With A Mental Flavour

http://www.mentalmagicism.com/
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1597 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2018, innercirclewannabe wrote:
Always,and the more you perform the more these situations will present themselves. Remember some people will always try and find meanings to everything if it gives their own perceptions validation.

Conformation bias?

Absolutely.Remember though it is not always to strengthen their own belief system, it can also relate to you as a performer. i.e. - If they believe in what you are doing they will then automatically assume that every little thing that happens during the course of a performance or a conversation is simply down to you being there. I have had this happen to me on numerous occasions on radio and in social settings when colleagues were wholly convinced that I had hypnotised their friends by simply 'looking at them'. Quite surreal but also quite fun.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Bob777
View Profile
New user
Norfolk, England
27 Posts

Profile of Bob777
Interesting thread guys. I suppose if you are good at thinking on your feet you could make some astonishing claims.
Magic is a hook on which you hang your personality
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
I have lots of things that’s become acknowledged as my doing in shows and socially. Things that we’re outside of my control as far as I’m aware but I get credit for them. I find it’s best though to downplay and allow the spectators to make the connection and give you the power than to claim it for yourself.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
Djin
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Djin
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2018, Matt Pulsar wrote:
..... I find it’s best though to downplay and allow the spectators to make the connection and give you the power than to claim it for yourself.

Absolutely true. People doubt what they are told but they never question their own conclusions. The art is in setting the stage for them to "figure out for themselves" just how amazing we really are.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I agree with the above statement but in character development and continuity it's important to understand your motivations. In that sense, any attribution you make might help solidify your character?
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2018, WitchDocChris wrote:

And I also learned to take credit for pretty much everything.

Well I do not take credit. I do not even take food stamps. If it isn't cash, I am not doing it.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2018, Scott wrote:

If you want to get the press involved and have them take you seriously (at least from a public interest point of view) the things you can realistically claim definitely need to reflect current social perception and you need to find a niche that enough people identify with for it to work.

Houdini filled a gap, Geller filled a gap and have you noticed these days less people seem to be getting abducted by UFO's and is it just me or has stuff stopped vanishing in the Bermuda triangle.

On a smaller scale it still works, but there is a fine line between being taken seriously and being ridiculed when it comes to the popular press.

Agreed that the press can be brutal and indeed it's hard to impress them, so why try? Let others tell your story and your reputation will flourish. Look at how many market their material, not by showing the effect but by concentrating on the reactions of the spectators. We want others to ascribe our powers not sound like pompous @sses tooting our own horns. Taking credit for the things that happen around us just helps them believe we are who THEY say we are.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
It's called opportunism and it's a wonderful principle in mentalism. Its inherent weakness is the lack of repeatability. Its inherent strength is that it cannot be back-tracked or explained.

In mentalism, there are no fluke results. Just impressive demonstrations you didn't warn people to expect.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Taking Credit for Things as a Mentalist. (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL