The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » One cup routine (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr Rick
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
72 Posts

Profile of Dr Rick
I'm lucky enough to have a second hand version of Michael Ammar's cups and balls book.

In the appendix Eric Decamps talks about practicing with a one cup routine until his skills were up to a three cup.
Has anyone much experience of this as a practice tool with one cup and would care to share?
I'd appreciate any thoughts but prefer not to use a chopped cup as I've a nice non gaffed set

Thanks in advance for your guidance

Rick
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
I was hanging around the Fox Fun n Magic shop one day long ago. Karell Fox was one of the owners of the shop situated downtown Detroit. I visited it every Saturday. I saw Mr. Fox do many interesting things during these visits. One day a pretty lady came into the shop and Mr. Fox struck up a conversation. He did a one cup routine. Just a standard cup and maybe one or two balls. Can't remember. He had the lady put her finger on top of the cup each phase of the little routine. He did not go fast. The moves were very basic. In a way they were not moves at all. The effect on the woman was stunning.

I had become interested in mastering cups and balls. The person that introduced me to magic, Warren Stephens, told me early on that mastering the classics of magic would do well on the path to doing magic. I sought to master a sophisticated three cup routine. I found the moves daunting. I began with a single cup as Mr. Fox had demonstrated. The routine was as simple as it could be. Three vanishes and three small ball loads. Then a final large finish. I did that routine for a long time. It built courage for moving on which I eventually did.

I, personally, can think of no better path.

Al Schneider
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
Dr Rick
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
72 Posts

Profile of Dr Rick
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2018, Al Schneider wrote:
I was hanging around the Fox Fun n Magic shop one day long ago. Karell Fox was one of the owners of the shop situated downtown Detroit. I visited it every Saturday. I saw Mr. Fox do many interesting things during these visits. One day a pretty lady came into the shop and Mr. Fox struck up a conversation. He did a one cup routine. Just a standard cup and maybe one or two balls. Can't remember. He had the lady put her finger on top of the cup each phase of the little routine. He did not go fast. The moves were very basic. In a way they were not moves at all. The effect on the woman was stunning.

I had become interested in mastering cups and balls. The person that introduced me to magic, Warren Stephens, told me early on that mastering the classics of magic would do well on the path to doing magic. I sought to master a sophisticated three cup routine. I found the moves daunting. I began with a single cup as Mr. Fox had demonstrated. The routine was as simple as it could be. Three vanishes and three small ball loads. Then a final large finish. I did that routine for a long time. It built courage for moving on which I eventually did.

I, personally, can think of no better path.

Al Schneider

That sounds like the one to start on. I love the simplicity of the ungaffed cup and the "purity" of cups and balls though am very very much the interested amateur.
Is there advice on a one cup routine in any of your books, or in any mainstream books I can lay my hands on?
Dr Rick
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
72 Posts

Profile of Dr Rick
Is it the routine in "the theory and practice of false transfers"?

Rick
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Jonathan Kamm....who I really feel is the world's busiest close up magician does a very cool 1 cup 3 ball routine.
Dr Rick
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
72 Posts

Profile of Dr Rick
Thanks Pepka
I'll see if if can find it
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Dr Rick:
The One Cup Routine is in is 2015 Lecture Notes available here: http://jonathankamm.wixsite.com/kammagicshop/about2
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Dr. Rick

The routine I presented in my post was done in 1962. Since then I have grown considerably and the routine in "Theory and Practice of False Transfers" is vastly more sophisticated. However, as far as good entertainment, it is not necessarily advanced. The book would be a very valuable read, however, I would suggest you master a good false ball transfer, cup single ball load, and final ball load. Information for this abounds in many places and there are at least 100 people on this forum that could lend a helping hand. After that, isolate yourself from magicians and work on it. Then, do it for non-magicians. You will fail. This is the path. But each failure is a lesson that is a light on the path of success. If you pursue, you will develop a routine that will become part of your soul for the remainder of your life.

Al Schneider
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Just for giggles, here is a clip of Luciano Ristori doing the routine from "The Theory and Practice of False Transfers.

https://youtu.be/8t2ChKwiCb4

Interestingly, Mr. Ristori is a physicist at Fermilab near Chicago and was part of a group locating a quark. I understand he is now investigating the properties of neutrinos. Impressive guy.
Dr Rick
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
72 Posts

Profile of Dr Rick
[quote]On Jun 15, 2018, Al Schneider wrote:
Dr. Rick

The routine I presented in my post was done in 1962. Since then I have grown considerably and the routine in "Theory and Practice of False Transfers" is vastly more sophisticated. However, as far as good entertainment, it is not necessarily advanced. The book would be a very valuable read, however, I would suggest you master a good false ball transfer, cup single ball load, and final ball load. Information for this abounds in many places and there are at least 100 people on this forum that could lend a helping hand. After that, isolate yourself from magicians and work on it. Then, do it for non-magicians. You will fail. This is the path. But each failure is a lesson that is a light on the path of success. If you pursue, you will develop a routine that will become part of your soul for the remainder of your life.

Al Schneider [/quote

Thanks Al
Makes me want to get practicing
I'd not tried a one cup routine (thus the question) and have been working through the routine in Mark Wilsons course but the one cup version does seem so immediate and less "stagey"
Thanks for your advice
Rick
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I bought your book on false transfers for that routine. I really like the use of 3 different colors of balls. While no harder, it somehow seems more magical. It disproves the idea of a fourth ball. Laymen are not as ignorant as some of us like to think.

My one issue with this routine is that it works best seated. That’s not me. And that’s why I’ve not done the work to learn it. If you have any suggestions as to how I could do a functional vanish standing up, I’d be grateful.

Patrick
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Should note, I mean a vanish of 3 balls that leaves the hands empty. Not a simple request, I realize.

Patrick
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Mr. Woolery
I am a bit confused. The basic vanish in the book can be done in any position. And it works with people behind you. The only difference from sitting is the hand would not drop to a table top but drop a bit into what I call a half rest position. If you are referring to the final load, that is a different matter. Changing the routine a bit to get the final from pocket as in many routines would be reasonable. Also the twist by Dr. Rubinstein would not work standing. But this what we do. We modify. The focus of the book is on basic false transfers of coins and balls. I think I feel short a bit however on making the routines fit more circumstances. I have attempted to correct the problem after the book was published. Someday maybe it will see print.

All the best.

Al Schneider
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Sorry, phone typing makes me less than clear sometimes.

The basic vanish certainly doesn’t need to be done seated. It is the vanish of the three balls just before revealing the final load that I’m talking about.

For a seated performer, it is a lovely thing. I’m hoping to find something just as magical, just as pretty, just as simple in appearance, but that can be done standing.

I will certainly look on my own and play with it, but if folks have suggestions, I’d rather build from established foundations than reinvent the wheel, as it were.

Patrick
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Mr. Woolery
Without getting into detail, I can visualize several solutions. The first that comes to mind is vesting. Then sleeving and perhaps a belt servant. Then one of those pouches that cup and ball workers use. In this visualization the motion would be the same as at the table. Just thinking aloud.
Al
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Hadn't thought about vesting the balls. Might have to play with that. I'm not going to strap a big ol' purse onto my midriff, though. That's fine for folks who want to do that, but it really isn't me!

I normally wear short sleeves, so sleeving is not as simple as it might seem. Who knows? Maybe I'll end up with a devil's hank and just vanish the balls that way. If I use it to wrap up the cup, it is a logical object to have on the table.

One of the great things about discussing things is that it stimulates my own thinking. I have too many conversations with more experienced magicians that result in being told "just do it the way I told you, don't try to make it fit your circumstances." Well, I'm a casual performer, not a pro. I do tricks for friends and family, mostly. I don't have the luxury of constructing the performing environment, so have to think about what would work for me where I often am.

Thank you for being a more adaptable thinker, Al. (And for the record, I'd prefer you call me Patrick. I used my last name because when I signed up at the Café the name Patrick was already taken.)

-Patrick
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2018, Mr. Woolery wrote:
...Who knows? Maybe I'll end up with a devil's hank and just vanish the balls that way. If I use it to wrap up the cup, it is a logical object to have on the table.

If you use the hank in other parts of the routine prior to all the ball vanishes, it makes sense.
mr_misdirection
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of mr_misdirection
I used to end my cup and balls routine with a vanish from the cup that I had visibly transferred them to throughout the routine. It was just a logical explanation but confused the audience.
miky
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of miky
I, too, am always in short sleeves, and am never performing in a vest or jacket. So, for total stand-up vanishes of balls, coins, or small fruit, I always use the side leg-pocket on my cargo pants. It's at the perfect height to catch the palmed items as you relax your arm at your side. If the pocket has a flap, I just stick it in the pocket. It holds the pocket open, and no one's ever noticed.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Ha! I have been trouser shopping several times recently, trying to find cargo pants! None of the local stores seems to carry anything other than low rise, faded jeans and ugly shorts. Amazing. I’ll keep looking.

I really don’t want to start wearing a fanny pack just so I can do a magic trick. Not going to happen.

Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » One cup routine (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL