The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Using County Fair To Promote Business. Appreciate Tips & Wisdom (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13430 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Next weekend I'm booked to set up at at the business expo at the county 4H. Set up is inside a building with dozens of booths lined up side by side. Each one displaying their wares to moving crowds as they pass by. Booths will of course pass out their promo stuff. Some will have drawings...you know. The usual fare at these kind of community events.

My wares is my magic performances, of course.

I've been preparing for weeks, of course. Will be people of every persuasion, kids, teens, young and old. About as varied as you can get. I call it my week long "magic marathon., because that's what it amounts to. Will sure test my metal.

Just thought I'd post and see if anyone here has ever done this venue before, and also to see if there is any tips or wisdom you would like to pass along to moi that I might incorporate quickly to make it more successful.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19064 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Don't worry about passing out your information. Concentrate on getting theirs.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2573 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
One thought that can work for the kid/family shows is: If you have a drawing to give away a free magic show then you will have a lot of names of people that
are interested in a show. Have one main winner and then call all the other names letting them know they didn’t win the free show but they did win a nice
discount coupon that they can use for a show. Photo people do this all the time with great success and it can work just as well for magicians.

Tom
A habit is a habit until you realize you doing it, then it is a choice.

The NEW Daycare Magician Book
https://www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

www.tomboleware.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8830 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Doug, this can be a great opportunity for you on several levels. Yes, I have done these in several capacities - we have put many of our kids/family performers in booths at these (both for themselves and our agency). Two of my agencies have actually been a main sponsor of these local business expos in the markets of both of our offices. Also on another level, my production company has produced these local business expos for over 20 years. So both as the entertainer vendor and as the promotor/producer of such events, I can tell you we have always had real good success with these.

Now, with that said, I should mention how you operate and execute can make the difference between getting a hundred (or more) leads or getting absolutely nothing.

Most doing these take the perspective of "oh, I'll have a booth and try to hand out my business card or promotional materials to all that visit my booth. They (attendees) typically won't do this on their own without some draw, reason or incentive. Sure some will mosey up and say "so what do we have here?" but they will be the exception to the rule. If you have great displays and popping signs you may get some more interest, but generally, if you are waiting for them to come to you, you will likely be disappointed.

Because I've seen you hang out in Little Darlings, I am assuming you are a kids/family performer (forgive me if I am wrong). I think kids and family entertainers have many more distinct advantages to these types of vending events if they choose to take advantage of them.

You first need to decide what you expect or want form this (your call to action or desired response). Getting some bookings (while of course) is not the right answer, that is a given. You want to get as many contacts (names, emails, addresses or phone numbers depending on how you normally conduct follow up or lead generation) as possible from attendees. My suggestion is to do what Tom mentioned or something similar as a promotion where you are offering reason or incentive for them to provide their information to you. A contest, drawing, giveaways, etc. work great.

The other distinct advantage performers have is they can perform at their booth to attract attention. The insurance agent next to you can't, the carpet cleaner or CPA can't, but you can. Now as a producer of these events I will mention not to disrupt or prevent the flow of traffic or block the visibility of other booths/vendors as they will quickly turn against you and create problems for you with the producer. So use this, but use it wisely in a way that can be benefcial for you and even your neighbors (We have actually said to attendees at out booth AFTER we have received their info and make sure they have our promo in their hands..."thank you so much we really look forward to working with you to perform at your (upcoming) event, thanks again...by the way before you leave be sure to stop over here (pointing to the vendor next to you) and see Bob from (xyz)... Let your attraction also help others around you.

The point is don't be an obnoxious kids performer (stereotype), but professionally use your performance skills to your promotional advantage. (you caa also show other area businesses how they too can use you and your magic as a crowd gatherer, lead generator or performer at their promotional events too).

It doesn't always have to be performing out front of your booth, as you can do things from within or at your booth/table too.

If you are thinking of using a sound system, be sure you have permission and it is within the rules of the event/producer. Don't be too loud where other vendors will complain. Also, take advantage of visiting and working the other vendors there as this can also be a networking opportunity.

I have some other tips to make sure you are featured in the newspaper at your booth too that I teach as part of my trainings/coachings, but this just shows you there are many different benefits and opportunities to participating in these events. If they need an emcee for announcement, you could offer your services to do this as well which can attract even greater awareness and attention to you and your booth.

Have plenty of great, popping signage and create a fun, interactive atmosphere. Compared to most other vendors you will become a popular attraction. Attract and draw the kids, the parents will follow. You may even have free candy, water or giveaways for the kids. Do visual performing things that will get people to see it, stop and pull in.

Do not view this a just a business opportunity, use it as a marketing opportunity through your performance and visibility. Good luck!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19064 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2018, TomBoleware wrote:
One thought that can work for the kid/family shows is: If you have a drawing to give away a free magic show then you will have a lot of names of people that
are interested in a show. Have one main winner and then call all the other names letting them know they didn’t win the free show but they did win a nice
discount coupon that they can use for a show. Photo people do this all the time with great success and it can work just as well for magicians.

Tom

I wouldn't do this without telling them you're collecting information for this reason.

Also the list will be of people interested in a free show. Not necessarily a show.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2573 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Yes the card would read that all winners will be notified. Also you must be 18 or over to register. And the card would ask, are you interested in a show for a birthday,
party, or your school. (Have boxes to check which one)

It’s simple, you have one main winner, and then you either call or mail the others a thank you with a flyer and a discount coupon for a show. Discount coupons work;
I’ve used them in many, many, ways at festivals and local events. People will spend money to save money. Ask any lady shopper.

That’s just one small part of the display table. Certainly you would need information there to display and hand out. In setting up the booth remember the saying that
most successful vendors have, “Flash Is Cash” Meaning that having a flashy good looking booth will get people to stop.

Just an idea.

Tom

https://www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19064 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
This to me is very deceptive. I would personally NEVER start a relationship in this fashion with a client.

It amazes me. So many people complain about telemarketers, or being "sold" constantly. Then when the rubber meets the road they behave in the way they complain about. If you have ever not wanted this stuff to happen to you then don't do it to others.

Starting a relationship with the deception of getting their information without them knowing is really sketchy to me. I know it is pretty common, I know it is pretty effective. I don't doubt either of those things. I just say it is not for me is all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1043 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
Doug, this can be a great opportunity for you on several levels. Yes, I have done these in several capacities - we have put many of our kids/family performers in booths at these (both for themselves and our agency). Two of my agencies have actually been a main sponsor of these local business expos in the markets of both of our offices. Also on another level, my production company has produced these local business expos for over 20 years. So both as the entertainer vendor and as the promotor/producer of such events, I can tell you we have always had real good success with these.

Now, with that said, I should mention how you operate and execute can make the difference between getting a hundred (or more) leads or getting absolutely nothing.

Most doing these take the perspective of "oh, I'll have a booth and try to hand out my business card or promotional materials to all that visit my booth. They (attendees) typically won't do this on their own without some draw, reason or incentive. Sure some will mosey up and say "so what do we have here?" but they will be the exception to the rule. If you have great displays and popping signs you may get some more interest, but generally, if you are waiting for them to come to you, you will likely be disappointed.

Because I've seen you hang out in Little Darlings, I am assuming you are a kids/family performer (forgive me if I am wrong). I think kids and family entertainers have many more distinct advantages to these types of vending events if they choose to take advantage of them.

You first need to decide what you expect or want form this (your call to action or desired response). Getting some bookings (while of course) is not the right answer, that is a given. You want to get as many contacts (names, emails, addresses or phone numbers depending on how you normally conduct follow up or lead generation) as possible from attendees. My suggestion is to do what Tom mentioned or something similar as a promotion where you are offering reason or incentive for them to provide their information to you. A contest, drawing, giveaways, etc. work great.

The other distinct advantage performers have is they can perform at their booth to attract attention. The insurance agent next to you can't, the carpet cleaner or CPA can't, but you can. Now as a producer of these events I will mention not to disrupt or prevent the flow of traffic or block the visibility of other booths/vendors as they will quickly turn against you and create problems for you with the producer. So use this, but use it wisely in a way that can be benefcial for you and even your neighbors (We have actually said to attendees at out booth AFTER we have received their info and make sure they have our promo in their hands..."thank you so much we really look forward to working with you to perform at your (upcoming) event, thanks again...by the way before you leave be sure to stop over here (pointing to the vendor next to you) and see Bob from (xyz)... Let your attraction also help others around you.

The point is don't be an obnoxious kids performer (stereotype), but professionally use your performance skills to your promotional advantage. (you caa also show other area businesses how they too can use you and your magic as a crowd gatherer, lead generator or performer at their promotional events too).

It doesn't always have to be performing out front of your booth, as you can do things from within or at your booth/table too.

If you are thinking of using a sound system, be sure you have permission and it is within the rules of the event/producer. Don't be too loud where other vendors will complain. Also, take advantage of visiting and working the other vendors there as this can also be a networking opportunity.

I have some other tips to make sure you are featured in the newspaper at your booth too that I teach as part of my trainings/coachings, but this just shows you there are many different benefits and opportunities to participating in these events. If they need an emcee for announcement, you could offer your services to do this as well which can attract even greater awareness and attention to you and your booth.

Have plenty of great, popping signage and create a fun, interactive atmosphere. Compared to most other vendors you will become a popular attraction. Attract and draw the kids, the parents will follow. You may even have free candy, water or giveaways for the kids. Do visual performing things that will get people to see it, stop and pull in.

Do not view this a just a business opportunity, use it as a marketing opportunity through your performance and visibility. Good luck!

Mindpro

I always find your insights and advice very helpful and this response is no different. Thank you. And a BIG thank you to Doug

for posting a GREAT question.

Mark
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13430 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
This is all splendid advice, guys, and believe me, I value every word. I'll peruse the thread again to glean what I can from some really great marketing minds here on this board,

See, I did this last year. Sande 4H. But I didn't seek advice at that time, and I really should have,

Not that I didn't do good. I did pretty good for the first year trying it, but one always has to seek to improve. I learned what to exp t as far as passing crowds. Otis if kids. Lots of parents with little Johny and Suzy. Lots of sticky hands holding snow cones. Lots of kids coming back to the booth again and again, sans parents just "hanging there", wanting to see more and more tricks. Lots of smiles, lots of laughter. Like you said, I focus on kid's and family shows.

I learned a lot of what to expect, and I figure this year will be pretty much the same. So the first year was just getting my feet wet. Now I'm ready to get serious. Ready to take it to level two.

I've improved the display for my booth, upped it as much as I could afford. Doing everything to "catch their eye" as they busily pass. And believe me, I found that people can indeed be distracted as they pass my booth. Had considered getting a pitchman's mouse, but that didn't quite happen for me.

Overall, I want to do better this year. The booth was only a hundred bucks. And you get six days for that, so it's not abad deal to get my favs in front of the county, but I sunk a lot more into the display because I figured it is key. I had considered getting those whatever they call them colored running light strips to place around the front edge of my nightclub table.

Anything to catch people's eye.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2573 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Doug, one more thing and Mindpro did touch on it, but do get to know the other local business people set up there as much as you can.
Local business people can be very helpful to each other and most enjoy helping. It’s possible that they could be setting up at other
events in the area that you don’t know about.

Good Luck with it

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1919 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2018, TomBoleware wrote:
Yes the card would read that all winners will be notified. Also you must be 18 or over to register. And the card would ask, are you interested in a show for a birthday,
party, or your school. (Have boxes to check which one)

It’s simple, you have one main winner, and then you either call or mail the others a thank you with a flyer and a discount coupon for a show. Discount coupons work;
I’ve used them in many, many, ways at festivals and local events. People will spend money to save money. Ask any lady shopper.

That’s just one small part of the display table. Certainly you would need information there to display and hand out. In setting up the booth remember the saying that
most successful vendors have, “Flash Is Cash” Meaning that having a flashy good looking booth will get people to stop.

Just an idea.

Tom

Before just moving forward with tactics such as drawings for free shows, and sending offers of show discounts to individuals who enter into a free drawing without express interest in your show for hire - think long and hard about your business model and the image you are creating in the minds of those you are pursuing. I’m not saying this is wrong advice for certain approaches, but it could be very detrimental towards others. As Tom mentions, it is one idea. Your display should not only attract a crowd, it should project the image you want them to leave with. Is your a show a commodity or is it a one of a kind? Most performers are somewhere in between, but need to know. Which direction do you want to move towards? No right or wrong answer, but you need to decide before displaying because it helps decide everything else. What type of shows do you desire? If you hope to gain connections to other vendors as a valuable opportunity, then it is even more important that your display projects an image congruent with that desire. In that case, show give aways and discounts to unqualified individuals may work against you. Also, projecting yourself as a birthday magician may also work against you- so you need to consider these things carefully.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2573 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
For the image fearing people, Let me add that the giveaway part doesn’t have to be a free show. It could be a Magic Kit, a TV or anything.
But the whole point is to collect names that you later contact. Normal people looking for a kidshow will not have a business card to give
you, so don’t count on collecting info that way. Have a lot of material on display to hand out.

You would assume anyone looking around at your booth and taking the time to fill out a form would have an interest in your product,
and not have a problem with being contacted. But yes if you are not a sales minded person then no this idea is probably not for you.

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
8830 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2018, charliecheckers wrote:

Before just moving forward with tactics such as drawings for free shows, and sending offers of show discounts to individuals who enter into a free drawing without express interest in your show for hire - think long and hard about your business model and the image you are creating in the minds of those you are pursuing. I’m not saying this is wrong advice for certain approaches, but it could be very detrimental towards others. As Tom mentions, it is one idea. Your display should not only attract a crowd, it should project the image you want them to leave with. Is your a show a commodity or is it a one of a kind? Most performers are somewhere in between, but need to know. Which direction do you want to move towards? No right or wrong answer, but you need to decide before displaying because it helps decide everything else. What type of shows do you desire? If you hope to gain connections to other vendors as a valuable opportunity, then it is even more important that your display projects an image congruent with that desire. In that case, show give aways and discounts to unqualified individuals may work against you. Also, projecting yourself as a birthday magician may also work against you- so you need to consider these things carefully.

Couldn't agree more. This is why many specifics must be determined on a foundational level, BEFORE any branding, positioning or marketing should ever consider taking place. Such good insight from charliecheckers here. This is exactly what I speak of when I say that everything must start and be determined on a foundational level first before anything else takes place. This is the only way to create the proper foundation for your predetermined business model. Most performers do not do this, and therefore everything from this point forward in their business is built on a wonky, wobbly foundation that is not congruent or consistent. This is the one thing I wish I could shake performers for as almost all do this (due to the default business model/ways that most use when starting their business.)

Also, there is the issue of value. Doing giveaways, promotional marketing and even networking with others in the local business community are all fine and can be great ways to create opportunities for your business - ONLY ONCE VALUE HAS BEEN ESTABLISH AND IS FIRMLY IN PLACE!

This is why I said earlier to have a promotion "something similar" to what Tom mentioned, meaning with the proper elements and tweaks in place to prevent this exactly as Danny and charliecheckers have presented.

What you do not want to do is have your in-booth promotion do nothing more than get you a list of prospects that are only interested in getting something for free. These are not targeted or qualified leads.

I also agree that promotional events and opportunities as these are a great way to promote your branding and positioning to your audience and establish your value and uniqueness with your market, separating yourself from the others (your competition). You do not want to be seen and a replaceable or simply interchangeable commodity.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19064 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Obtaining a list of those interested in something for free is a waste of valuable time. Doing it only to exploit it later is dishonest.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2573 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny I am confused, how is contacting someone that gave you a signed permission slip dishonest?
I don’t’ think you understand how it works. But anyway I do agree it may not be for everybody.

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1919 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2018, TomBoleware wrote:
For the image fearing people,

I would like to think everyone has a healthy fear of unintentionally moving their image in the wrong direction.

Quote:
Let me add that the giveaway part doesn’t have to be a free show. It could be a Magic Kit, a TV or anything.
But the whole point is to collect names that you later contact. Normal people looking for a kidshow will not have a business card to give
you, so don’t count on collecting info that way. Have a lot of material on display to hand out. Tom

I agree that other giveaway items could be used. Again, the purpose and reason why you are doing so should be considered when selecting what item it is and how it is being given away.

. It does not have to tie into collecting names for contact at a latter time. It could be to prolong their time at your table until you have a moment to speak to them personally, discuss your services and then ask for follow up contact info where appropriate. One size does not fit all.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19064 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Danny I am confused, how is contacting someone that gave you a signed permission slip dishonest?
I don’t’ think you understand how it works. But anyway I do agree it may not be for everybody.

Tom

Contacting them when they don't win on a flimsy premise of you get a discount when all you waked wad their contact info all along is dishonest.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13430 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I just now re-read my last post, and I am so embarrassed by all the spelling glitches. I normally proof read and correct the SPELL CORRECTIOR, which obviously has no inkling of what I was really intending to type, turning my beautiful expressions into total gibberish, but I got in a rush. Now I look like a second grader.

Guess I had a bad day.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2573 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2018, charliecheckers wrote:
Quote:
For the image fearing people,

I would like to think everyone has a healthy fear of unintentionally moving their image in the wrong direction.

Charliecheckers,

Sorry I am just now getting back on this, but the reason I said that is there are some that believe that if you ever do a free show or give any type discount then your business is ruined forever.
I don’t believe that, never have believed that simply because when you are viewed as a ‘business’ rather than a ‘person’ most people understand that you have rules that you have to follow.

Businesses have sales everyday and customers don’t come back expecting the sale price after it is over. With that said, some businesses never have sales and that is ok too.

But yes for the most part I do agree a good image is important and it’s important to be viewed as someone that treats everybody fairly.

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19064 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Starting the relationship with a lie is the problem. Conning their info out of them is the problem.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Using County Fair To Promote Business. Appreciate Tips & Wisdom (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL