The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Using County Fair To Promote Business. Appreciate Tips & Wisdom (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, if you asking me, Yes I have done it many, many, times. I have been using magic to promote businesses a very long time. You don't have to be a 'professional' magician to use magic to promote a business. I’ve set up tents and worked festivals countless times. When I owned The Fun Shop Stores we did a festival nearly every weekend during the summer. That lasted nine years. I also used magic to help promote the childcare business for twenty years. So yes I have a little experience in promoting a business.

Tom
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 4, 2018, TomBoleware wrote:
“Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.” ― Stephen King

Tom

NO, I think anyone will/can succeed if they are at the right place at the right time, in life and place.

True, but it takes work getting to that right place and time. Very few reach great heights from sitting on the couch waiting for luck to come their way.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No Tom I was not asking you. Please do not recite your imaginary resume to us.

I was asking Doug if he ever did more than dreamed of doing this stage stuff?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Sorry bout that Danny, but you did post right under my post without mentioning a name.
And you do seem to always enjoy questioning and belittling my experience. Oh well.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As soon as you get some experience I'll question it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
And it is certainly NOT only $100 by the way. It is an investment of a weeks worth of your time plus prep. So the idea that it is only $100 is just not business like.

This quote calls out the need to look at time as a scarce resource, yet once again there are those who continue to treat time with low value. If Doug is in a sound financial situation for himself and those he is responsible for, then by all means he is free to chase dreams. The fact that this is being discussed in the Tricky Business section means it should be discussed from a sound financial perspective.

If someone works this type of fair they should have strategic objectives (some good suggestions have been offered in this thread) and prioritize thier time fiercely to attain the stated goals. Sorry, but offers to write a play based on magic should be ignored unless it was previously identified or there is compelling reasons why it now has emerged as one. Drifting off course is not good business practice and we should be helping one another to avoid temptations that are counter productive.

Tom, you always compare ones actions to the alternative of sitting on the couch. For most of us, that is not a fair comparison because we are engaged with activities to further our cause and come here to learn how to better invest our time by gaining insights. It is insulting that you always imagine the poster sitting on thier couch as the only alternative to the action they are contemplating. Why not offer them better ways to invest thier precious time with higher gain. Why not call out activities that are little more than a time thief.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
What I said was, it is better for someone like Doug to get up off the couch and do something, even if he didn’t have it all worked out, than do nothing at all. What’s unfair and insulting is to criticize his effort and say he wasted his time when he was doing the best he could. Could it had been better, of course it always can be better, and I’m sure he will do better next time.

And getting to know and make friends with someone involved in the local theatre in your community is NOT Drifting off course when the goal is to get your performing name out there. This could be a really good thing for him.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It could also be like when that lady backed into the fan. It nearly disaster. (It will take a couple readings but most should get that.)

See Tom when one does not have experience in things then going out and pretending you do can be bad. It is different than pontificating on the internet about imaginary experience. People will see it. And the that is attached to your name.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Gonna take more than a couple of readings Danny for me to understand what you talking about.

I guess you, like charlie is saying he should have bought mindpros coaching service.

Tom
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
What’s unfair and insulting is to criticize his effort and say he wasted his time when he was doing the best he could.
Tom

I don't see where anyone said this at all, or even anything remotely close to this. Are you making stuff up again? If anything, almost everyone here has been very supportive and helpful in his efforts.

Also, a post isn't about or directed to just one person (unless specifically stated) as many here follow and can learn from the posts, insights and helpful advice being offered.

Also, no one mentioned anything about Doug getting my coaching. Charlie never said any such thing (you're putting your own made-up words in his mouth again. Again, making things up and taking things way out of context simply isn't helpful or beneficial to anyone.

But again, general, feel-good information isn't what is needed or originally asked for. Specifics and experience is what will be most helpful.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Gonna take more than a couple of readings Danny for me to understand what you talking about.

I guess you, like charlie is saying he should have bought mindpros coaching service.

Tom

Diss assed her when she backed into the fan. Disaster. Need more Tom?

And if could please tell me where I recommended coaching as a solution to this problem?

Once AGAIN you have turned this into a Tom centered thread. Please stop.

But since you just can't stop answer this for me. Who exactly is "someone like Doug"?

And why are his only two choices sitting in his couch and doing what you say? I submit there is a lot of distance between the two and following your advice might be as bad if not worse in most cases.

It is also better to do something as opposed shoving a red hot poker in his eye. So what? Your sitting on the couch example is about as relevant.

Tom it is possible that bring ctitical is what Doug needs and not just to be told what he did wrong is fine. He wants to improve. Without being told what to change how do you think that happens?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
My reference to coaching was only used to demonstrate one way that one who appreciates the true value of time might invest in getting more out of the time they spend on an indeavor Of course there are many other ways such as mentoring, courses, dvds, lectures, posting here and others. The point is that one should equate a significant time investment no differently than a large financial investment. Time is scarce! That is the takeaway message. Not the particular example used to make the point.

Regarding the theater, I am only sharing general opinions as I do not know Doug’s particular life situation. So, in general, a kids/family entertainer should likely be in peak performing season in late June, To attend a week long promotional fair should be viewed as an extremely costly venture in terms of lost revenue and time that could be used towards other booking strategies. Meeting a theater owner producing a play is interesting, but a giant distraction unless the performer is qualified to follow through, have success, and know how to leverage it towards an end goal. If the performer instead offered the theater owner true value by offering the name of someone with experience and then went back to his/her focused strategy, that could pay dividends. That is not what was being discussed though. It is not what Tom was suggesting when he asked Doug to let us know how it turns out.

If a kids/family performer is attending a promotional fair in late June because they have a week long break in bookings, it is even more unfortunate if they become distracted chasing long shots they are not experienced in, if performing is being used as a significant means of support.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As for the theater gig let me just say the following.

A guy who is big in the theater locally sees you doing some tricks essentially for children. Then suddenly he says to himself WOW I bet this guy can help write a play and help to design magic illusions for that play. He can also block the show, figure out how to get them on and off stage, get them built and all the thousands of details that goes along with staging illusions.

OK now that says a LOT about the guy. It assumes writing skills, building skills, blocking skills, and a whole lot of lighting skills and things that are just not probably in the realm of the average guy doing tricks at a 4h booth.

THIS is the problem with so much of magic in general in my view. The idea that everyone knows absolutely everything about everything. (WOW do we have examples of that in this section over the years.) I have said MANY times I would never tell anyone how to do a children's show. I know my limitations. It is shocking how many ways guys want to branch into, and the ridiculous encouragement they get in the name of "magicians helping magicians".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny it seems you know very little about the outside world, you have probably been sitting on the couch a little too long.

The average person knows nothing about magic; they believe a magician is a ‘magician’ and can do just about anything any other magician could do or at least know how it works. Why wouldn’t they, after all they all are sort of weird people that studied from the same book.

Nope there are not a lot of magicians out there in the real world for the average person to talk too. People in many places will only know two magicians the local guy and that Copperfield fellow on TV. If the local guy is not dressed up like a clown then yes he is the real deal.

I’m sure Doug can handle the job,

but if not there are plenty here ready willing and able to help him. Huh?

Tom
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
If I may chime in, my knowledge of illusions is really not all that bad. I've been diligent through the years to educate myself on all aspects of the magic art. Did lots of reading / studying on the great illusions of the past, as well as modern illusion plans.

Studied to show myself diligent, so as not to limit myself to close-up, should I choose.

Am I the world's greatest expert? Certainly not. Not claiming to be. But I do have a solid working knowledge of illusions. And what I don't know, I KNOW WHERE TO GO TO LEARN!

Whatever we decide to use for the production, I can handle it. And if it's beyond my scope, I'll make that known. We don't have a million dollar budget to work with, so we're certainly not going to create a Copperfield extravaganza. We'll work the script around what is within budget, and within the scope of my knowledge.

It'l be fine.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2018, TomBoleware wrote:
Danny it seems you know very little about the outside world, you have probably been sitting on the couch a little too long.

The average person knows nothing about magic; they believe a magician is a ‘magician’ and can do just about anything any other magician could do or at least know how it works. Why wouldn’t they, after all they all are sort of weird people that studied from the same book.

Nope there are not a lot of magicians out there in the real world for the average person to talk too. People in many places will only know two magicians the local guy and that Copperfield fellow on TV. If the local guy is not dressed up like a clown then yes he is the real deal.

I’m sure Doug can handle the job,

but if not there are plenty here ready willing and able to help him. Huh?

Tom

When was your last paid professional show? I've been on the couch? Hilarious. You have never been in the game yet you know everything about everything. That is why magic is such a joke to people.

Who here is able to help Doug? You?

Hey I don't have a dog in the fight. But if prepared is what you think you were for this conference I'd think about your definition of that word.

It is not only knowing principals of illusions. It is lighting, blocking, getting them on and off, writing them to make sense and so much more. The fact that they don't have a huge budget is going to mean you need to bring more to the table, not less. Expectations will be higher.

The only caveat would be if you have told him you never done anything like this before, but want to try. Are you at least being that honest with him? Because if you are then they know what they are getting. If not then it does seem a bit disingenuous wouldn't you say? If rolls were reversed would you want to know?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny How many events like this have you done for kids?
You keep saying you know nothing about kidshows yet you
keep running your mouth about them like you’re an expert.
So which is it, have you worked kid events before or not?

When was your last paid show for a family event like this at a festival?

Mine was May 10th, 2015. When was Yours?

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tom where did I tell him how to do things for kids? Show me. I told him to gather information not give it and time is worth something. So please stop making yourself look bad.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
PS. YES I have also produced several local stage shows in our local theater

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sure. I know you and your imaginary friends have done everything.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Using County Fair To Promote Business. Appreciate Tips & Wisdom (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL