The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » REIALME by Jeff Copeland - A MUST! (68 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
502 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Thank you Andrew! I'm honored to have a friendship with MB217 and have deep respect for him too. Just met Poof-Daddy. These are all serious guys and I appreciate the feedback. Andrew you are one diplomat! Not me! I just bash out with enthusiasm when I find something like TRESUR. REIALME promises greatness too and I wanted to share this with everyone mostly because I missed it all. Jeff isn't really advertising although I found his site through the last little Genii mag. I didn't mean to sound like a barker nor to upset Al. I just can't believe a guy taught me stuff with a french drop that is totally new to me. Wanted to share it . . .
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
andrew124C41
View Profile
New user
Somewhere near Washington, DC
45 Posts

Profile of andrew124C41
Well, I when I encounter conflict I find it best to try if at all possible, to understand each individual perspective....wear the other guy's shoes if I can. I have had my share of that "oh, no'....disappointment moment....when the box arrives in the mail and I feel foolish having purchased x, y, or z. That is one of the nice things about coming here....no coincidence that many of the sale items I run into on certain sites are on sale for a reason...if you get my drift. So, you pick up something after getting burned a number of times and you feel like you got more than your money's worth....it is understandable that you want to share your experience. I know that you did not intend any harm. We are all human and sometimes something we hear, read....whatever...pushes a button even though that was not the intent. I do not personally know Al, but I certainly know his reputation, that he has been around the block a few times....Hey, I don't think there is anyone among us here that has one of those days.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5199 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
A few here have intimated that Al Schneider was complaining about or dissing Jeff's work. I don’t see that at all. I read it that Al had a problem with StarManager's comments in the original post. Re-read Al's first two posts in this thread and see if he said he has any problem with Jeff or his work. He actually said of Jeff: "My perception is that he is one of the more capable guys out there". It appears to me that he just felt that Star had been a little over the top with his superlatives in the OP.

My thoughts anyway! Smile

Thanks!

Jim
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
502 Posts

Profile of StarManager
We were almost at peace here on this thread and J-Mac your note had me go back because I believe Al was indeed dissing both me and Jeff. Specifically he stated the following in his first post:

1. "I showed the promo clip to my wife. She said it is, "... all about me ..." "
2. "Yeah, the guy has fancy technique. That is nothing here. "

To me and maybe no one else - those are pretty much a diss of Jeff and I shot into defense mode. Regardless of Al's status he did not buy and look at the system or the work (I assume that as he only speaks in theory and not about the product itself). I did. I found it great. I shared it. I really shouldn't have been slammed that hard by one of my virtual mentors and a great in magic. Jeff really shouldn't have been questioned or criticized by a man who has not watched the full training and has not held the coins in his own hands. That's my whole point. I HAVE and I am sharing MY personal opinion. I feel gutted by a group I thought were peers and whom I would be supporting with my evaluation. Will be a long time before I opine here again. I don't need to share honestly to get kicked in the teeth guys. Really a sad feeling.
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
countrymaven
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
You guys are slinging around a lot of talk of professionalism etc. I work in the real world. It is not for me to use things, no matter how beautiful,
that are replacements for regular coins (or gimmicked coins that look real) .

So no matter how much you all agree etc., doesn't this make magic so much harder, to use coins that have to be explained, that aren't in circulation, and never were?
I am sure Jeff is a good teacher. But I am just trying to offer a different view of this. I would think that most pros out there would agree.
Would David Copperfield, whom I have talked to, have used a totally new (and never having been in circulation) bill for Misled? I seriously doubt it. Why make it harder on yourself before you start?

I think at some point, no matter how good the teacher is, the "magic expensive toys" tendency has to be dealt with. I wish you all the best. We do different magic. I am not trying to be disagreable, but felt I had to offer this perspective.
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
942 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Countrymaven
Funny you should say that. I really made no comment about the coins or the fancy trick bag. I think the coins are very pretty. I once got some fancy oriental coins and used them a few times in shows. The coins had a different style on each side. During the routines the magic failed because the audience thought the coins were different coins. Man, that killed coins across. To use the coins I would have had to teach the audience about the new coins. Anyway, I am enjoying this thread. Keep it up and let's see how high we can get the visitor count. When I went around and around with vines, we got over a thousand many times. I also got lots of orders for books. He, he, he.
Al
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
BrotherJeffrey
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of BrotherJeffrey
Thank you for chiming in everyone and thank you for any concerns! In response to the critiques:

I've tried to refrain from entering this conversation because one, I don't want to be a troll. Two, the folks that have tried it, seem to love it. You can read the reviews on my site, I can't make this stuff up! I mean no disrespect to anyone by what I'm doing. I will only make one apology. "I'm sorry I have not made it clearer what I'm doing."

What Star was trying to say is he found something completely different. Sometimes that is hard to describe in words. I'm thankful for his enthusiasm and I hope other people catch it! Makes me want to be more enthusiastic. I'm going to keep doing my thing and welcome any one aboard.

By the way, I didn't ask him to write that post!

All I can really say is: "Try the product." Sign up in the pop up banner on my website for the newsletter and I'll even send you some discounts.

Countrymaven, the problem with many circulated coins, with the EXCEPTION of silver, basically every other coin available confuses the audience. The dark copper coins can't be seen in the real world. We perform in restaurants and dark environments and when you pull out a old copper coin you are practically asking your audience to imagine the color change was impressive. Or we pull out a perfectly round 2000 year old Chinese coin with blue paint on it. And in Houston, where I live, the most diverse city in America, almost every night someone tells me that coin's not real. So I fixed those issues with with bright colors and use historically accurate information that only a true historian would know the little bit of fiction I tie into each coin.

I teach from a theatrical perspective. On stage the actors get applause and standing ovations when they get us to feel their emotion. They communicate that emotion via music, makeup and lighting. All of which are not real. Yet we still cry, laugh and love those people. I'm doing the same things with the coins. I'm communicating the magic with the correct props and presentation. All I can say, with no disrespect, is "try it." Go out in the real world and try it, try the moves, try the coins. Make your coin magic more visible with these props and ideas and THEN, tell me if you don't get stronger, more real reactions.
Revolutionary Tools and Teaching for Coin Magicians

Have you seen Tresor?

CopelandCoins.com
gallagher
View Profile
Special user
943 Posts

Profile of gallagher
StarManager, back to your original Post:
Thanks for the Information,...the Preview.
I appreciate it.

The main reason I come to the Magic Café,
is to hear what's 'new',..floating around,
...from other Magician's mouths.
(I'm still 'fighting' with my 'same-three-tricks'!,
...but
I find it inspirering and motivating.)
I appreciate your efforts.
Thanks.

And by the way,
these Coins from Jeff Copeland look really great!
I really like the thought put into them.
The three dimentional light reflection,..
the cross, cut from the middle...
the size and weight (20grams)...
the reeded edge....
steel core...
great colour..
fully examin-ible....

I really like it.
gallagher

p.s.: Another thing I saw at Jeff's website,..
is his 'blog'(!).
Lots of nice thoughts,..about Magic.
I enjoy it.
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
502 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Gallagher - You restore my faith in the Café. If I was able to share this find with just you and you like it then I feel satisfied. Thank you for your reply! Al and Countrymaven - every time I bring out a US half dollar, an old English Penny, a Morgan silver dollar or an Ike - people gawk at me like I'm from another planet. The fact is that "all coins" are not "real" outside of nickels, dimes, quarters and pennies in the USA. EVERY other coin is suspect. So all coins get introduced with some backstory: "This is an 1886 Morgan Dollar that was my grandfather's lucky coin . . . " Bit"coin"- direct deposit-credit cards-PayPal . . . that's how people use money today. We're getting real close to having all traditional coin magic - a 2,000 year old art - VANISH as we know it. Soon there simply won't be coins. SO - what Jeff is offering is a coin that looks and feels so real and has such a detailed "backstory" that to me there is no difference between his coins and a half or Morgan. The REAL coins we work with are all things that not ONE person in any audience I've ever worked for has had in their pocket! I did about a decade at sea on various luxury cruise ships globally and back in the 1980's not one person had anything but a half dollar (once in a blue moon) in their pocket. Heck even a cig through quarter is rough with 96 different obverse sides these days. Borrow a quarter? Good luck matching your gaff! Coins are NOT familiar any more. So a man like Jeff who does a (here goes my hype again) STUPENDOUS job of creating a coin with a "special historical" story he gives us in detail that COULD be just as real as any other coin we have all come to love. I'm getting convinced that magicians, a skeptical lot at heart, are just going to have to experience the products and teaching from Jeff themselves to "get it." TO ME he's like adding a new color to the rainbow that nobody has ever seen before. I can't describe it well but Copeland is SOLID. Products, skill, teaching. Someone I am thrilled to have found and am learning from.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Special user
Norfolk, UK
783 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
I use walking liberty half dollars all the time in the UK and nobody questions them. They are just coins! Jeff’s coins look lovely - I’ve asked for costings to the UK.

Starmanager, I find your passion refreshing and honest. Thanks for sharing buddy.
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
502 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2018, simplymagicweb wrote:
I use walking liberty half dollars all the time in the UK and nobody questions them. They are just coins! Jeff’s coins look lovely - I’ve asked for costings to the UK.

Starmanager, I find your passion refreshing and honest. Thanks for sharing buddy.

Thank you so much SimplyMagicWeb! I have received so many Private Messages of support about this thread. Really inspiring to see the support. In the end this is a brotherhood of information-sharing among a few special people with special skills or knowledge. I just wanted to share my excitement about discovering Copeland with the people most likely to appreciate his unique angle. Thanks so much for your note of support. A few moments of encouragement from so many of you guys has given me optimism!

JT
countrymaven
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Hi Jeff and Jonathan. I thank you for your astute answers. I agree that you have good reasons to use them.
So hats off to you, and I mean this sincerely. Yes, I do have to introduce halfs. So it is good to hear that these work for you well.
It is good to hear a clever reasoning for introducing coins with a historical story. And if it works for you, all the better.

Al, we have forever agreed on magic being real magic in their minds, .... This thread resulted in good, you see, with many people learning something, even when we seemed to be coming to it from different lines in the sand......
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
502 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Well said Countrymaven.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Veteran user
prototype
391 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
I think what Jeff has honed in on, and is pioneering, is a market for these cool coins. Just think about all the different "designer" decks of cards that come out on a monthly basis. Do people explain why their cards aren't Bicycle brand? But, these cards are being bought up.

I think it's good thinking and good foresight on his part. And just think, what if he eventually offered these coins in gimmicked form? You can already find plenty of replica chinese coin shell sets, so why not these?

Just a thought...
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
502 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Rick I think you're hitting the nail on the head. IF we need to explain our antique US coins or at least introduce them somehow, why not have a wide variety of really interesting coins with backstory that fit our different routines? All in the right sizes for us and with edges that grip or faces that can be sandpapered and smoothed as needed. These are not plastic replicas. They heft and grip better than new coins that are "real" as I think Jeff has the milling on the edge spaced a bit wider and deeper. I find myself practicing with these as much as my Morgans. Love your thinking here Rick.

JT
countrymaven
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
You really got it! Yes, if old coins have to be introduced, why not also be open to introducing coins with a story. That is one of the hardest mountains to climb, in coin magic, to tie the magic to a story (and to make it meaningful to the viewers), rather than just being a coin trick. Kudos to you all!!

Thanks to you all. You helped me see why coin magic needs to be tied with a story. It can be done with Kennedy halves or with Jeff's coins. So astoundingly if you can help an old fart like me learn a profound lesson, it is a good thing. SO HEAR THIS COIN WORKERS. Tie your coin magic to a story about the coins or the person profiled on the coins. It will play better than just a coin trick, I guarantee it. What story? You guys are such wild storytellers anyways. hehe.
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
502 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Countrrymaven - we are getting more and more value out of this thread thanks to posts like yours and everyone here. For those who do not have Jeff's TRESUR coins and routine, I want to add that on his instruction he goes into DEEP detail about the fantasy "legend" or backstory of these TRESUR coins. They have dates, secret symbols, codes to country independence as well as mergers of real countries and historical overview of their conflicts. Properly present 20% of the backstory of the jungle-communist-overthrow of this legend which is closely tied to actual history and you will have the audience eating out of your hand for your trick (any trick) and begging to have you sell them a TRESUR coin. I hope this is helpful for everyone here.

JT
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
502 Posts

Profile of StarManager
OK - I'm Back after handling the new REIALME (Realm) Coins. Folks these are great! They are a bronze or Bronze/Gray color and contrast with the TRESUR orange/Copper coins. Heft and feel are genuine like their Dollar and Half counterparts. Edge milling is AWESOME deep and biting. A cinch to grab, roll, palm, star flourish. They are covered in a thin layer of clear material that keeps them from tarnishing and keeps the shiny part shiny. We're told this covering will remove the need to polish for years. (Back to this thread in a decade for an update . . . ) The unique parts I love here are the following three features:

1. The coins are MAGNETICALLY attractive. They will stick to a mag! (Tresur coins are not).
2. These coins have a hole in their center (or centre for my British friends) in the shape of a Maltese cross.
3. These coins have a scalloped obverse which is rolled/cut/polished and reflects at least 4 times the light a similar coin could reflect.

Notre there is a 25 cent size available free with certain orders. Check Jeff's website. I already have a Quarter to Half to Dollar routine worked out that moves into Jeff's "Corner Pocket" routine which I highly recommend as well.

The video/streaming teaching is not out yet but promised any day now and will review it when it is live. But I love these coins for Spellbound and fort the story you can weave around them!!!!

See photos of them at https://www.copelandcoins.com/products/reialme
scotchrocket
View Profile
New user
Canada
48 Posts

Profile of scotchrocket
What the heck did I just read?

Who in their right mind would support Al's negative reaction on something as benign as sharing enthusiasm for new material you picked up?

If not here, then where are you allowed to be excited about new material?

Quote:
On Jul 6, 2018, StarManager wrote:
I HAVE and I am sharing MY personal opinion. I feel gutted by a group I thought were peers and whom I would be supporting with my evaluation. Will be a long time before I opine here again. I don't need to share honestly to get kicked in the teeth guys. Really a sad feeling.

Don't blame you. The forum should be a place we can share an enthusiasm for magic. The fact that you came to share a personal opinion and got pounced on was frustrating to read.

---

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Jeff's new project. I'll keep an eye out for it.
All about borrowed coins.
StarManager
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
502 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Thank you Scotchrocket. It goes with the territory here. I love these two coin sets and I'm sharing. If you look at my posts there is a lot I do not like and I'm equally vocal about that. We need people like you here to chime in though - it gets depressing trying to share and getting shived . . . .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » REIALME by Jeff Copeland - A MUST! (68 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL