The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Be honest what is it / two card monte - presentational ideas (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
SamuelJonesMagic
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of SamuelJonesMagic
Thank you
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1194 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Seems like most of us (myself included) know of "2 card Monte" via Blaine and not the Fechter original. After seeing the Blaine clip, I realize how he could have gotten more milage out of this great trick... but I admit it was fun to watch again. Thanx Pop, for the original description! Lynn
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
805 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
I learned the Fechter effect "Be Honest What Is It?" from Magician Nitely. If you read it you will see that he did not use "easily remembered" cards; he used whatever cards came up after a shuffle. He put the top card face down on the table and instructed the spectator how to hold his finger and thumb. Then he turned the tabled card over and stuck it between the spectator's fingers while he spoke the tag line. I won't discuss all the moves but when the spectator and magician display "their" cards they are both holding *completely different cards.* At that moment of surprise the performer "goes south" with the two original cards and produces them from the pocket.

It bugs me no end when this fine effect is mangled by using, say, aces which change to kings. That kills the whole *surreal* flavor of the effect. Besides, why be intoning "be honest what is it" if you are using "easy to remember" cards? In Eddie's version the spectator tells you twice what card he is holding, you show him "your" card, an exchange is made (or maybe not) and then both cards turn out to be completely different. As if *both* cards were "exchanged" for two cards from another dimension. How did those new completely different unrelated cards show up?? THAT is the effect. Producing the two original cards from the pocket is somewhat of an anticlimax. But that is how the master did it. You could just leave the original two cards in the pocket and let them wonder what happened to them.

It also bugs me that people call this gem "Two Card Monte." Puh-lease people "Two Card Monte" is a cheap dealer item using (only) two cards one of which is gaffed--or are they both? I forget it's been so long.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1194 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Liked your post Foolsnobody. I put "2 card monte" in quotes; because in fact, you are correct that the (2 gaffed) dealer's item is the actual 2 card monte. However, most people consider 2 card monte to be the Blaine effect, whether we like it or not! btw, the REAL 2 card monte cards can be switched into a regular deck for Anniversary Waltz (if the gaffs are Bikes). But overall, I've really enjoyed this topic. I've certainly learned that Be Honest... is NOT "2 card monte", even if it uses the same sleights. Lynn
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
884 Posts

Profile of helder
What if at the end instead of queens for example, the cards are one blank with the restaurant logo and other with “ Welcome to”?

Will try it.

😉👍
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Be honest what is it / two card monte - presentational ideas (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL