The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Congratulate me! Finally got around to learning a 3 fly! (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
It's been on my heart for a long, long time, but you know how it is...you intend to do something, but somehow you just never get a "round tuit"
So I was with "3 fly." Always wanted to learn one, but got caught up in other routines.

So, anyway, I was watching a Cameron Francis DVD that I had long ago purchased, featuring Cameron along with the ever magical, irrepressible Greg Wilson, and after viewing Caneron's routine, (https://youtu.be/Q1JFhfVYyEE ) I said....well, I said to myself "Get ahold of yourself, boy!" "pick yoiur jaw up off that floor, son! " "I have just GOT to learn that, or DIE!" So I set my mind to it. You know. "Knuckle down, buckle down, do it, do it, do it."

So I've been working on Cameron's 3 fly for about a week, now, and I think I'm making some progress. Many of the moves he uses are old friends to me, but when he gets to the 3 fly section, well, those are new moves to me.

Still, I'm determined to master it. I've got the patience. Got the determination.

Wish me luck!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Congratulations! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I'm rootin' for ya. I've looked at 3 fly (Daryl); and that's about it in terms of progress. Kinda gave up 3fly in favor of working on Tenkai Pennies, which took a long time to get right. The masters make it look so easy: just slide this coin back and no one will notice (after you drop a coin on the floor from the other hand, LOL). The sign in front of the counter of my local magic shop says "PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE". So indeed, kudos to you, Doug! Lynn
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thank you fellers! Thank you very much. If you wish you or strew roses....

Yup! Actually, I have the Daryl routine in full in my files. Got cold feet every time I looked at it! Can you say formidable boys and girls? I knew you could!

At least it seemed that way to me!

And I am right now going through that slide one, drop one phase you mentioned! Ugh!! But I'm determined.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I love Cameron's routine..but in the beginning phase I'm tossing in a Slydini coin vanish..seems to fit in seamlessly.

But the actual 3 fly part...now that's another story altogether..
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Happy for you doug, 3 Fly is a wonderful routine and that one by Cameron is a nice one, as it has a lot added to the overall performance of it. Smile

I've done a bit with 3 Fly myself, and eventually got around to doing it as simply as I could, ala my "Less is more" thinking nowadays. Smile

*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Smooth as butter!

How long did you have to work on it to get it that smooth?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks doug, glad you like it... Smile Just wanted to show you another take, a simpler one to consider down this part of the journey. Smile

Like with anything good practice is the way, but also proper understanding and handling of the necessary moves. In this take, I stripped away the harder stuff and figured out a few ways to make it easier and perhaps even a bit more amazing. Smile While Cameron's routine is a nice one to shoot for, but for the beginner I'd suggest just getting the basics down first. You can add all the production and vanish stuff later on when you're much more comfortable. Or, you may not want to, or need to. I used to intro the effect by producing the coins too, but eventually preferred to just get right to the routine of it, and that seemed to work fine enough. On my download to this, you see that it's not too difficult to get the hang of... You can do it! Smile

www.vinnymarini.com/download/flyski.html
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
As far as Cameron's routine, I can handle it pretty good, as I'm pretty well versed in most of the sleights (except the Himber vanish!) I even threw in a slick Slydini vanish toward the beginning, because I've always liked that particular vanish, and I can fit it in seamlessly. So I can handle the routine...

That is, up to the point where the actual 3 fly phase begins. That's new territory for me. But I'm a hard worker.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Sounds good. Smile Just wanted to speak to the meat & potatoes of it all, as you say, "Where the actual 3 Fly begins."

Good journey! Smile

Agaton
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
299 Posts

Profile of Agaton
Congratulations! I've been working on my 3Fly for years too. I remember both Marion B and Tim Fehrer (where is he now?) helped me in cleaning the rough edges back then.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Mb, that was beautiful. FYI, you're the one who got me into Tenkai pennies!!! Isn't this what the Café is supposed to be about? Magicians helping magicians. Lynn
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Nice work Marion. Very clean, very direct.

Quote:
On Jul 10, 2018, lynnef wrote:
Mb, that was beautiful. FYI, you're the one who got me into Tenkai pennies!!! Isn't this what the Café is supposed to be about? Magicians helping magicians. Lynn

Where'd you get that silly idea?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2018, Agaton wrote:
Congratulations! I've been working on my 3Fly for years too. I remember both Marion B and Tim Fehrer (where is he now?) helped me in cleaning the rough edges back then.

Is it going to be years before I can present the effect?
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks guys, just thought my little take on the routine might be helpful here. It certainly is a more deliberately put routine, made to better allow the specs to follow along as I entertain them with clean looks throughout that they just can't resist. 😉

And lyneff, thank you, I'm glad to inspire folks to look at these little effects like Tenkai Pennies, as in most cases, they are the building blocks to it all. 😉 And my little convincer in the routine is still deceptively the way I do it to this day, "Tenkai PhD." Glad you're still liking it, that little show given is just irresistible.😉

Again, thanks for all the kind words. 😊

Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Marion has been an inspiration to many of us Café-ers. He is the embodiment par excellence of that statement of mission: "magicians helping magicians."
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Three-fly is one of those tricks (the other being any card at any number) I've researched endlessly and doubt I will ever perform (but I'm always saying to myself, maybe one day). There are basically two approaches:

One approach is to produce the coins one by one, have them travel from one hand to the other one by one, and then vanish them one by one. There are a few variations on the production and disappearance sequences. For instance, sometimes the coins are produced, but not vanished at the end, etc.

The second approach is to take out three coins, showing that you only have three, have them travel from one hand to the other one by one, and then convincingly show that three coins, and only three coins, were used.

I tend to prefer the directness of effect of the second approach, but have toyed with the first approach too. Ergo, I'm very confused about the whole thing.

I thought Axel Hecklau did a very clean version on his Penguin live lecture, but it uses an uncommon, custom-made (and no doubt expensive) gimmick which is not readily available.

Here is a recent version which did not seem to get much attention:

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......by-yuxu/
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I have to say, that guy has GOT some moves!!!!

That would take me like a zillion years to learn!!!
Agaton
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
299 Posts

Profile of Agaton
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2018, daffydoug wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2018, Agaton wrote:

Is it going to be years before I can present the effect?

It would take some time to have a polished one, but not exactly making the effect "presentable." I bet you already have a good presentation now.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yes. Presentation comes pretty natural for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Congratulate me! Finally got around to learning a 3 fly! (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL