The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Congratulate me! Finally got around to learning a 3 fly! (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8003 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2018, Ray Haining wrote:
Three-fly is one of those tricks (the other being any card at any number) I've researched endlessly and doubt I will ever perform (but I'm always saying to myself, maybe one day). There are basically two approaches:

One approach is to produce the coins one by one, have them travel from one hand to the other one by one, and then vanish them one by one. There are a few variations on the production and disappearance sequences. For instance, sometimes the coins are produced, but not vanished at the end, etc.

The second approach is to take out three coins, showing that you only have three, have them travel from one hand to the other one by one, and then convincingly show that three coins, and only three coins, were used.

I tend to prefer the directness of effect of the second approach, but have toyed with the first approach too. Ergo, I'm very confused about the whole thing.

I thought Axel Hecklau did a very clean version on his Penguin live lecture, but it uses an uncommon, custom-made (and no doubt expensive) gimmick which is not readily available.

Here is a recent version which did not seem to get much attention:

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......by-yuxu/

Some good points Ray. Smile

I didn't look at the points until after I had first learned the effect from Chris Kenner's original "Menage et trois," which I always thought in its original approach was as good as anything. Of course, there has been great progress to the effect as our thinking & focus deepens. There are even a few gaffed approaches that are terribly slick as well I've journeyed past. Smile

The yuxu version you cite here is a good example of that, nice piece of work there with various pieces from others sewn together nicely. I like a lot of the subtleties he uses, but a lot of the back & forth though pretty, could invite some suspicion. I've been down that road as you get more & more into it where ability may over-extend approach, you can get a little carried away...As Eric Jones actually said to me as to something I did called "My Fly" back then. Smile Eventually I did sharpen it all out better to something I came to call "My Grandpa's Coins" or something like that... Smile So, you see I've played around with all this stuff quite a bit. Smile

Nice to look back sometimes. Smile But I eventually just thought it better to keep it simple going mostly one way and done, hence my later "FlySki (Fly-Skee)" offering...Less is more. Smile

But again, I do like this yuxu version, very nicely done alright with some nice pieces of it to learn & practice if you see something you like, and there's a lot there to like. Smile

And I think its great that there are so many options out there, and some at very reasonable cost too. Smile
*Check out my latest: Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Not much new under the sun I hear but under the moon, well who knows, that just might be a horse of a different color." -Mb Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13397 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
And as far as the YUXU effect, one could vary it to suit their own needs and tastes.

Even though I am new to 3 fly, I can see that is is a lot like ambitious card, in that you can jazz it up. Freestyle it and basically mix and match moves to suit your needs, right?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26747 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Daffydoug, the ambitious card analogy is sensible, as there are many ways to play the effect of a card somehow getting to the top of the pack. If already you do any form of the coins across effect - you can work on selling the "flight" as one of the coin transits from hand to hand. If you get a feel for selling the effect of a coin vanishing from your fingertips rather than your closed fist or from under your hand - and/or appearing at the fingertips of your other hand ... you can build your own routine as you need. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13397 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thank-you. Kind of what I was thinking, being a neophyte to coins across. Smile
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1558 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I just showed the xuxu routine just because it didn't get many viewings and because it's just another version to add to the plethora of routines already out there. Maybe someone can get something out of it, even if it's just the particular motion used to produce a coin. I certainly wouldn't even think of trying to do it myself. I like the Houstoun/Liwag move where the coin is tossed from one hand to the other and appears to disappear in midair, but it's one of those moves I could practice for a century and still not be able to execute confidently.

Both of your routines are very good. FlySki is amazing. I like the fact that you eliminate the silly joke--done for a reason, but silly nonetheless--about, "would you like to see the coin go visibly or invisibly?" The vanish of the two coins and the showing of your hands so openly after the vanish are beautiful. You start with one coin and end with one coin. Your routines don't use any gaffed coins, which is also very nice. These routines are some of the best.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2795 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I didn't know Cameron Francis had one. Thanks
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13397 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
A good one, too.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2795 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Which book is in? And is it loaded up with gaffs?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13397 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
It's on a DVD, with Cameron doing a one on one with Greg Wilson.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2795 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Sounds Ike an at the table thing. Thanks.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13397 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yes. I believe that may have been it.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1901 Posts

Profile of puggo
I couldn't see it on a ATT or Penguin Live contents.
kenedho
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of kenedho
Congratulations! 3 fly is a beautiful effect demonstration. I highly recommend, for:
- simplicity, Will Houstoun's two coin version.
- easy to learn, Eric Jones's non-gimmicked version.
- ending clean, nice patter and teaches the use of the whole body, Daryl's.
- dexterity challenges, Yuxu's.
- fun, think there's this Asian dude on the Café who has a light hearted approach.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13397 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Congratulate me! Finally got around to learning a 3 fly! (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL