The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ready-to-go mysteries (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
In view of my own difficulty, as a newbie, in memorizing the steps to tricks I have only a couple of tricks at any given time that are ready to perform. As a newbie I am always learning and, with frustration, forgetting tricks and experiments that I previously learned. I know that the learning process never stops, but in contrast to that of a self-possessed newbie working through RRTCM or Card College (like myself) I would expect that the "learning" of an experienced performer takes on a more focused and relaxed level of intensity. Therefore, I became curious as to how many ready-to-perform mysteries/experiments/tricks the members here have in their immediately accessible memory.

If you reply, please indicate your level of experience as I expect seasoned performers have a substantial number of tricks in their heads.

Thanks in advance for your input.
So many sleights...so little time.
"Slow...deliberate...natural." Bill Tarr

Cheers,
Teddy
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
I think when you first start out, you have this desire to learn everything you can. That's fine, but as you get a couple years in, you start to realise, it's better to know a couple tricks really well than many tricks not so good. I should practice what I preach, when it comes to this, but I am understanding lately. A person I respect recently told me you have to practice a trick 100 times before you can say you know it. Can you imagine the discipline that takes?
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of The_Mediocre_Gatsby
I've been performing magic for 26 years with about 5 of those years as a professional. Now I am an amateur magician who performs nearly entirely for family and friends. As a professional restaurant performer I found that having 3 sets made up of 4-7 tricks was enough to keep it varied for repeat customers but manageable from my end. I usually introduced a new trick once a month for my own sanity, and replaced a set every 4-6 months or so. I kept about 5-10 tricks on the back burner for those regulars who came back more regularly. However, now as an amateur performer I've found my repertoire has expanded enormously.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Signet, 100 times?! Do you think this is a common rule of thumb? I sure hope not b/c my time for practice is about maxed out...and I know it is not enough.

Cheers,
Teddy
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Gatsby, a 100 trick repertoire? First "knowing" a trick requires 100 run-throughs. Now, one can have a 100-trick repertoire. I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that I have bitten off more than I can chew. Hopefully I don't have to chew 100 times before I swallow! Smile

Cheers,
Teddy
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Perhaps you are beginning to realize why a GOOD QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL, asks a fee that "matches" his abilities! hee hee

I'm a retired professional. I started as a part time pro. at age 14. About 20 years later, I turned full time. I toured coast to coast and border to border for about 50 years.

I know how a gezillion tricks are DONE. It took those first 20 years, to learn how to DO them. --And, the next 50 years to learn how to do them, so that they ENTERTAINED! (heehee)

I'm sure you realize, that I'm exaggerating. --But, I hope you are beginning to understand that:

THERE AINT NO SUCH THING AS FREE LUNCH!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Ted, the 100 tricks is a goal for a guy who wants to perform casual magic all the time. I really enjoy the Jerx and have learned a great deal in terms of magical thinking from that site, but you don't need to start with a goal of 100 tricks. Not at all.

Try this: pick out 2 tricks you really like that go together. For example, 2 card tricks that build in "wow" factor. From a fun, basic trick to a much more powerful trick to finish. Or that go together thematically. Like I might do Gemini Twins, in which a participant shuffles the cards, I remove two without disturbing the order of the deck, they start dealing and stop when they want to. I put one of the cards onto the dealt pile. They continue dealing and stop when they choose. I put the other card down. Reassemble the deck and spread it out to find that they have chosen to stop dealing cards at the mates to the two cards I picked out at the beginning. Great trick, emphasizes the psychic element if you want to go for that. Self working, which helps a lot. Then, I can have them shuffle again to test further, take two target cards that they won't see. They deal cards from top, bottom, middle of deck and separate into two piles. The top cards of the two piles are mates to the unseen cards. These tricks are related, but the build is from cards they see face-up to cards they don't see. Not profound, but fairly impressive to people.

Okay, so you pick out the two tricks. Now learn those two tricks. Be aware that you might choose to end after only one. But learn both. Do them at least 20 times at home. An easy way to do this is to put 20 pennies on the table and each time you run through the trick, move one penny from one spot to another. When the last penny moves, you've done your practice. After doing it 20 times, do it with the TV on loud. You are now practicing doing the trick with a distraction in place.

Oh, and when you practice, talk out loud. The first couple of run-throughs are okay to do it silently, but after that, say out loud everything you expect to say in performance. Talk over the TV as if you were working to be heard over a TV in real life.

By now, you have 40 rehearsals. It took you 2 days after you selected the tricks. One day you did the dry runs without distraction, you allowed things to settle in your mind, then did the dry run over a TV. It took about 40 minutes each day. You now get to go show someone.

And you will probably be talking too fast. Catch yourself. Slow down a little. Emphasize by being slow that you have nothing to hide and are being super fair. Don't give the impression of being slow-witted, though. Just of not being at all rushed.

So, how do you show this to someone? Well, put your deck of cards in your pocket. Next time you are in a conversation with a friend or a stranger, just say "I've been working on something. Do you mind giving me a bit of feedback?" And show the first trick. If they are really reacting, the second should flow as if it is just a continuation, which is why I like the tricks I described above. Or if they just nod and say "yeah, I never liked magic," you can bail after the first one. Either way, you just got a performance. Small, simple, fairly easy.

After a while, you learn to pick up the tricks faster. The brain actually becomes wired for tricks and you can do stuff with a lot less practice. But I think 20 reps without distraction and 20 more with is a good way to start. This is assuming you are fine with the mechanical aspects of a trick. If not, get those dealt with before you start your practicing.

But 100 tricks is an eventual end goal, not a starting point. Start with 2 tricks.

-Patrick
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of The_Mediocre_Gatsby
Monsieur Woolery offers sound advice Teddy my boy. The presentation angle of "I'd like to show you something I've been working on that I think you'd be perfect for" is a strong one.

As Woolery says, start small, practice the sleights (though I would choose a self-working effect to begin with so you can concentrate entirely on performance), practice the presentation, practice them together, and get out there and show someone.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
I thank you for your thoughtful responses. It's obvious you have picked up on my "problem" - trying to run before I can walk. I thought that getting through the Royal Road (book and DVD) and a bit of Card College I was ready for the advanced stuff. This may not be uncommon for old newbies that are north of 65 and would like to feel competent within a reasonable amount of time. I naively gravitated to effects such as Dai Vernon's Triumph and Harry Lorayne's version of the Ambitious Card. To my surprise I got to the point where I could "do" them, but who knows how well? I was too nervous to try and perform and part of not performing is that the constructive feedback ain't there so I could never gauge my progress.

But I will checkout TheJerx website. Also, I think trying to perform by starting out with self-working effects may also be an excellent idea as Gatsby suggests, especially following with a more complex effect as suggested by Mr. Woolery.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Teddy
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I focus my Wiz Kids on just learning the best of the best - they can always travel back and learn other lesser tricks later. The best of the best - looks like "real" magic and not just a trick, knocks the spectators for a loop EVERY time - every age - every condition, angle-proof and a real puzzler.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
To be clear, both of the tricks I mentioned are self working. The mechanics are very similar. The idea is that the second seems to build in complexity so they can flow from one to the next very smoothly.

Patrick
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I agree with some self working tricks. Find a couple that you can remember and enjoy doing.
With a few sleights in your toolbox, you can have numerous things that can be done. A book I suggest...
https://www.lybrary.com/the-magic-of-mat......613.html
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thanks Wravyn, I just ordered a used hard copy. Looking forward to its teachings. However, I believe that my problem may be not having enough time to practice, and thereby forgetting many things I have learned. But this book looked intriguing...although you are the first I have heard reference it.

Cheers,
Teddy
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Personally I have nowhere near 100 tricks at performance quality. I haven't sat down and listed anything out but I'd be surprised if I had even 20.

I have a set of skills I am known for. In casual performances, that's probably what I'm going to focus on - which is kind of like seeing an extended preview of my parlor show. On the off chance I decide to do card tricks, I have maybe 4-6 distinct routines that are at performance level, but most times I just make it up as I go.

To that end, I advocate learning fundamental skills and being able to work with the audience in a free flowing nature.

But again, I'm not generally one who performs casually.

I will say this though - if you're forgetting tricks, you're not practicing those tricks enough. Rather than try to cram in hours upon hours of practicing dozens of tricks - focus on a few until they are hammered into your muscle memory. Once a trick is in there solidly, you can do minimal maintenance to keep it up to par. Trying to learn ALL THE THINGS at once will mean wasted time and energy. Focused practice is much more effective.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
If its been a LOOOOOG time between Gigs- I have a VIdio of my basic show - I'll sit and watch it and remember - also what to change if need be - it helps. RR
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thanks for the insights WDChris, I think you're on the mark. I think that, in spite of my advanced age, I have to walk before I can run.

Russo, as for me, the closest thing to a gig I have is a choppy rendition of the Ambitious Card in front of my wife...and I never recorded it. I've got to discipline myself and develop a reasonable perspective before I start video-ing myself, but it's kind of an interesting idea.

Cheers,
Teddy
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
The vidio was given to me by the Mother of the Birthday Child. So it was an actual show- to be or not to be ?????
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
It must be great to have a built-in fan club!

Cheers,
Teddy
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
TeddyBoy, another thought also... Some ready to go mysteries can include special decks of cards, Svengali, Stripper... There are a few simple special coin tricks... How about a Color Changing Gems on a stick trick?
These things don't require multiple hours of learning the slight of hand but can help focus on presentations. All can help build confidence as you learn the more difficult things.
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Special user
New York, NY
595 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Thanks Wravyn, but for now I'll stick with plain ol' decks as it will help my confidence grow.

Cheers,
Teddy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Ready-to-go mysteries (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL