The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Why Does All Magician on WGM Execute The Riffle Improbably? (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
AaronSterling
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of AaronSterling
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2018, Last Laugh wrote:
It's easy to dismiss things that you don't want to hear, but if you genuinely want to be a better performer, then you should be willing to listen to arguments that challenge your beliefs. Even if you decide you ultimately don't agree, you will be better for having questioned.

I think you're missing the point. The goal isn't to appear fair. It's to appear *worth watching* while at the same time giving the audience lots of tiny opportunities to help you. They're bought in at the start, with either their time or money. The rest of the show is a process of them investing further in you (really, in the success of the group).

If someone chooses a card helpfully and then insists "I want to keep this card, I don't want to change my mind," you've created a team effort where the spectator helped you in the selection, and then builds an emotional memory of really really wanting this card, even though they could have switched for any other.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
2146 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Well, to be clear here, my post wasn't a response to yours, just to the out of hand dismissal of the articles by several people in this thread.

However for me, the goal IS to appear fair. AND worth watching. And there is absolutely nothing mutually exclusive about the two.

Not sure why one wouldn't want to be both.

For me - especially as a mentalist - I want the audience to think "I have no idea how that happened" rather than "He must be really good at sleight of hand".

So that *for me* means doing mostly hands off card material and making sure that I don't use procedures that the average audience associates with sleight of hand. As such, fairness/deceptiveness is definitely one of my goals.

I am not at all saying that you shouldn't do the classic force, or to not prioritize being fair. That's your choice and has to do with your performing character.

I do strongly believe that magic is better when it's not something that can be rationalized by the audience as 'sleight of hand'. But again, that's my opinion. Sure, gambling demonstrations and SOH experts are entertaining and worthy of respect, but I find them less magical. And I mean magical in the sense of creating a paradox in the mind where the audience has no way to explain what they have seen.
LL=MM
Mr Salk
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2018, Last Laugh wrote:
Regarding the Jerx - if one is interested in moving magic forward, then it's very important to question commonly held beliefs.

Nobody else is doing focus groups to test these deeply held assumptions.

It's easy to dismiss things that you don't want to hear, but if you genuinely want to be a better performer, then you should be willing to listen to arguments that challenge your beliefs. Even if you decide you ultimately don't agree, you will be better for having questioned.

I am genuinely interested in questioning dogma and I applaud the efforts of Jerx to test assumptions.
But, we also need to have an open mind to assess the tests, especially when the results are counterintuitive.

I posit the success of the riffle on the fairness-scale is due to the fact that there were NO sleights involved.
The experiment left out actual sleights, reasoning that it'd leave skill out of the judgment-factor.

This leaves the riffle as an almost perfectly fair card-choice. The magician slowly riffles a corner and stops exactly when you say stop, and you take your card. There is nothing remotely fishy.

The entire list is upended with a non-sleight eye.

Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
2146 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
You're saying that a genuine selection using the same procedure as the riffle force is less deceptive than an actual force?

That doesn't make much sense to me.

But either way - the big take away for me is to make sure the participant doesn't feel rushed. No matter which method you use, you want the participant to feel they could have truly taken any card, not that they didn't have time to really make a choice.
LL=MM
Mr Salk
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
I may have misread the results, but yes a non-sleight may look significantly more or less fair than the actual depending on the handling and pacing. I agree about not being "rushed" regardless of method.
Noting the success of the cross-cut I assume the specs were not card players. Any rummy grandma would rate it as zero.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Why Does All Magician on WGM Execute The Riffle Improbably? (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL