The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Flashfreud by Iain Dunford (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Pixelated
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Pixelated
Flashfreud
http://www.lulu.com/shop/iain-dunford/fl......982.html
£18.60

Freudnorm
http://www.lulu.com/shop/iain-dunford/fr......984.html
£4.54

What is it?
This pair of books from Iain Dunford are a gimmicked and non-gimmicked version of Sigmund Freud's Dream Psychology for Beginners. The gimmicked version uses Larry Becker's flashback principle. There are no instructions included, but if you are thinking of buying the books, chances are you already know how to use them.

Product details
Both books are 15cm x 23cm and weigh in at 116 pages. The text is black and the pages are the off-white colour that you would expect of a book of this type.
The front cover can be seen on the site and the rear cover is plain white apart from a barcode in the bottom right corner. The spine states the name of the book and author, and there are small differences between the fonts on the spine of both books to allow you to tell the difference between them.

Print quality
I was wary of using a print on demand service, but I'm very happy with the print quality. There are no issues at all.

Delivery
As this is a Lulu book, it is a print on demand service, so it takes a bit longer than just buying a book off the shelf. Nothing too long, but worth remembering that we’re probably talking a couple of weeks rather than days.

Review
I have to admit that I really like these books. I have no real idea how a psychoanalysis book should look, but this is exactly how I imagine it would be, and I'm sure that will be the same for almost everyone. The size of the book means it's not really suited for walk around, but is perfect for a mental epic / confabulation based routine around dreams for a stand-up / cabaret performance. At the moment I have it stood on my desk in work and I have already had a couple of people comment on it, which leads perfectly into a mentalism demonstration.

The quality is very good, the subject matter is intriguing to a spectator and its uses a well-established method which involves no memory work, so you can focus on your performance. Overall, I'm really happy with this and would highly recommend it.
C-suite magic
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of C-suite magic
Beautiful idea. I'm assuming permission has been granted to use the flashback principle? I'm ready to buy upon confirmation.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I initially thought I only had permission to create a specific flashback, but re-reading my emails - Larry said I had his permission for any further versions...
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Sorry, FUTURE versions...same difference guess...
I've asked to be banned
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
I also picked this up and I’m really happy with it. It pretty much does what it says on the tin so there’s not much to say, but I agree that they look and feel ‘right’ the paper is great as it actually looks like the type of book it’s supposed to be! I had no reason to pick up the ordinary book but because of the price and because the cover suits my style I picked a couple of the flash ones up!

Nicely done!
C-suite magic
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of C-suite magic
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2018, IAIN wrote:
I initially thought I only had permission to create a specific flashback, but re-reading my emails - Larry said I had his permission for any further versions...

Thanks Iain, thought that would be the case, order going in.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Btw - down in inner thoughts, there's a thread that lists the flashy words used...

please don't post them up here in the open...

but you can pop down and take a look if you fancied it...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=82

I would say there are 7 short mundane words (it would be odd if a book did not have them) but the rest are quite wide and varied...and there's lots that are 9-12 characters long...
I've asked to be banned
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I just got mine today, and can confirm that this is well done, looks perfectly the part, and it does what it does.

I've been wanting to add another 'option' to my book test routine for the first phase (which currently uses Ultimate Flashback) and this is it!

Great price for a well made book. Thanks for making these available, Iain!
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Glad everyone who has one likes it...

dream psychology - psychoanalysis for beginners, in my mind is a great conversational thing if you're performing socially, and for anything else - it fits the two main camps of psychic entertainer or psychological entertainer, dreams for one, analysis for the other...and if you're either (or something else inbetween) then it just supports the idea that we are supposed to be well read, smart, knowledgeable and so on...

Smile
I've asked to be banned
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1582 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
These look great. My order is in.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Thought I'd mention it in case the person who placed the order did it by mistake and they are on here ..

Someone in the States ordered two regular copies of the book and not the flashy version...
I've asked to be banned
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
These look cool n topic looks sufficiently enigmatic. Will be ordering shortly.
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Please remember, no instructions, if you don't know the principle please don't buy it...
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ok, firstly I've been chuffed with the feedback...

Secondly, I'll be making a f#rce edition next week...

After that, I might be starting on a new one that compliments the first...
I've asked to be banned
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1582 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
I bought this and I’m very happy. The book is very well made and looks absolutely authentic. Highly recommended book Test.

Joel
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Just a note as we creep towards October...I don't do that pre-sale discount stuff, so as this has been out for a month or two...the price is going up on the 1st October..cheers
I've asked to be banned
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
You can get a fiver off this at the moment.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/iain-dunford/fl......982.html

Well worth it, great FB book, I use this all the time!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Cheers fellas...

I've just started on two small projects but another FB will be out towards the end of the year...
I've asked to be banned
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
This looks terrific. I don't understand why more mentalists don't go down this route when producing book tests. This is exactly the sort of book a reader of minds or master of psychological influence would be reading- not children's books or trashy airport novels.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If anyone wants a list of the FB words they're here...
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=82

So a healthy mix of mundane and exotic and interesting...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Flashfreud by Iain Dunford (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL