The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chapstick thru bill. (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2018, Blindside785 wrote:
I just watched a Magic Live 2018 YouTube video...

https://youtu.be/lXg6gLNQc2E

FORGET THE CHAPSTICK, I WANT A DONUTS!
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Whilst it looks good the great thing about pen thru is the spectator knows that it is actually possible to penetrate a bill with a pen hence you have a certain realism with the effect that I think the chapstick lacks.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Good point except who needs realism when it's magic?
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Sometimes the idea of magic is not about the possible but about the impossible. For example transposition effects, there's nothing remotely possible about that, it's all about the impossible and yet is very magical.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I can understand where your coming from regards who needs realism in magic however when you push a sharp object through someones bank notes I guarantee the reaction from the spectator will be better if you play it right as it's plausible.... I'm not knocking the effect it's just something that to me screams gimmick but if it plays well for you then that's all that matters I'm just making an observation.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
I do see your point as well Warren and I also think there are other money effects that scream gimmick but are still "magical" such as:
Mikame Dream Tunnel
Money Maker
Changing a dollar into a mismade bill is not at all plausible yet very magical.

I just feel there is a lot of magic out there that can be classified into the "screaming gimmick" class that can be still very magical. After all, IMO, magic is mystery, and mystery is finite that is unbound and only limited to ones imagination. Just my thoughts..... I feel both cases, using a sharp object versus a non-sharp object, will generate very similar reactions. They both look impossible to me. And actually, when I watched the demo I thought the Chapstick going thru the bill looks more magical than a sharp object. The restore part is more magical when using the sharp object. So I guess it depends on what type of magical "moment" you want you audience to experience.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2018, PendletonThe3rd wrote:
Exactly what you think is going on seems to going on with this

The thing with Ignition or a sharpie, or a pen thru bill, is that these items could really stab thru a bill if desired. Ignition was my go to effect for that reason. Stabbing the bill wasn't the unbelievable/magical part of the effect. It was the restore. And from there the key and bill could be handed out.

I suspect with this one, the chapstick can't be examined afterwards.

Which is a bit of a problem because with this trick, the unbelievable/magical part is that a chapstick is going through the bill...so the heat will totally be on the chapstick...instead of the bill as the restore seems kind of secondary.

All that said...the gimmick does appear to be pretty cool though. And who am I kidding, I'll still end up buying it.

I didn't like the Sharpie version because a Sharpie is a blunt instrument. Knife (don't think I've seen it through bill but they have the knives through pockets, etc.), nail (never seen this version but I'm assuming it exists or at least conceptually plausible), pencil (by far the best being misled AND it's the best out of all of the variations on the plot by far IMHO), and pens all work well because the tips are plausible for puncturing through a bill easily. Now, what may be good is if the chapstick or sharpie slowly melts through the bill but I've yet to see a visual melt through and have essentially just seen handlings for which it was treated like a pen through bill.

As for this bit of logical disconnect being irrelevant because... magic. Let me try to point a few things out here with the pen through bill:

1) Audience do not know what the effect is.
2) All they initially see is you puncturing the bill, they have no idea where you are going with this.
3) As far as they know, all you've done is poke a hole through a bill. This is all real and above board in their minds at the moment because really, nothing has happened.
4) When you pull the pen out, in this moment they STILL think nothing has happened and they STILL don't know where you are going with this.
5) When you visibly heal the bill, now they are starting to think something is happening but still don't know where you are going with this (unless your patter is that you are trying to heal the bill at this point).
6) You show the bill having healed and this is the moment of surprise/astonishment.

Now, with a Chapstick or something they know is blunt to the point where it's not realistic to quickly puncture a bill with the instrument, the penetration itself is an oddity so unless it's a slow melt through display of the Chaptstick going through, treating this like a typical pen through bill doesn't work well here and you really should be using a pen instead.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
A lot of magic out there is an oddity. Heck, magic itself is an oddity; hence why it is called magic.

Does anyone know when this will be available to purchase?

Thanks,
RNK
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, RNK wrote:
A lot of magic out there is an oddity. Heck, magic itself is an oddity; hence why it is called magic.

Does anyone know when this will be available to purchase?

Thanks,
RNK

Oddity for the sake of oddity does not equal magic. Magic is a oddity since it's out of the norm but not all oddities are magic.

Think about what the effect is. Pen through bill, the effect is NOT how did the pen go through the bill, it's the healing of the bill. Chapstick through bill the thought either immediately or later on is how did the Chapstick go through the bill rather than how did the bill heal. So since it's predominantly going to be how did this very very very blunt object go through the bill, that's the magic moment to be milking rather than treating it like pen through bill, for which I don't see how such a design for the gaff here can allow for a slow melt through effect thus most if not everyone is going to treat this like a pen through bill. To each their own but this is more puzzle than magic IMHO for the audience.

EDIT: I take it back, just watched the demo for this, Nicholas did do the melt through rather than a puncture. :: clap clap clap ::
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, RNK wrote:
I do see your point as well Warren and I also think there are other money effects that scream gimmick but are still "magical" such as:
Mikame Dream Tunnel
Money Maker
Changing a dollar into a mismade bill is not at all plausible yet very magical.

I just feel there is a lot of magic out there that can be classified into the "screaming gimmick" class that can be still very magical. After all, IMO, magic is mystery, and mystery is finite that is unbound and only limited to ones imagination. Just my thoughts..... I feel both cases, using a sharp object versus a non-sharp object, will generate very similar reactions. They both look impossible to me. And actually, when I watched the demo I thought the Chapstick going thru the bill looks more magical than a sharp object. The restore part is more magical when using the sharp object. So I guess it depends on what type of magical "moment" you want you audience to experience.

I understand your points to my friend hence me not performing any of the effects you mentioned, as I said it looks good and if it plays well for you that's all that matters really.... I hope you have a lot of fun with it when it arrives Smile
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Out of the ones I mentioned, I have only performed the bill to mismade bill. And honestly, the reactions are fantastic. After being in magic for many years, most know what will work for them which is why I am excited for the Chapstick to be released.

Hopefully someone can chime in and tell us when it is due to be released?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
You guys need to stop being open and fair and having a sensible discussion...it simply won't stand in latest and greatest...
I've asked to be banned
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, IAIN wrote:
You guys need to stop being open and fair and having a sensible discussion...it simply won't stand in latest and greatest...

Sorry IAIN..... Won't happen again :>(
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Pen thru bill is a restoration effect.

Chapstick thru bill is a penetration effect. (solid thru solid)

(Misled has two phases, one of each)

In a penetration effect the fact that one item doesn't naturally go through another IS THE EFFECT. To say that's somehow a weakness of this effect is odd.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, Magicsquared wrote:

In a penetration effect the fact that one item doesn't naturally go through another IS THE EFFECT. To say that's somehow a weakness of this effect is odd.

Very well stated. Thank you!
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, Magicsquared wrote:

Yes, realized that when I saw that part in the video posted in this thread. However, I still stand by my comments about the Sharpie through bill, that one is far weaker and nonsensical than pen/pencil through bill because for that one it is a tear restoration.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
This blows the pencil / pen method clean out of the water. Can’t wait to get this.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, pegasus wrote:
This blows the pencil / pen method clean out of the water. Can’t wait to get this.

Different effects. This is a visible melt through being the effect whilst the pen/pencil through bill is a tear restoration.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Actually Misled is both a melt thru and penetration.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, pegasus wrote:

Different effects. This is a visible melt through being the effect whilst the pen/pencil through bill is a tear restoration.

Oh jeez I give up. Thanks RNK.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Chapstick thru bill. (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL