We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self-force (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
craigwest
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of craigwest
John Bannon's "Cut Deeper Force" is along the lines of your suggestion that gets to "I don't like that one very much", but there is more to it and you may like it more.
James Warren
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of James Warren
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2018, Claudio wrote:
I find Red Herring rather easy to reconstruct, especially as the written instructions will be there for them to analyse should they wish too.

There are methods which are completely opaque and can’t be reproduced. I suggest you look up Alex Emlsey’s effect Sum Talk of Alexander published in The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley, Vol. II, pg 171:

A spectator freely chooses a card and turns it face-up and then deals face down onto the table as many cards as the value of the selection (court cards are equal to 10). The last card of the count is turned face up and placed with the selection. The value of this new card is then used to count down further onto the deck and the procedure is repeated until the entire pack has been exhausted.

No, the instructions will not be written -- they will call me on the phone and I will lead them through it. I can't imagine anyone reconstructing it. The overwhelming impression is of random mixing and random card selection.

When all the values of the face-up cards get summed up, the performer shows that he had predicted their total.

The last card turned face up is also predicted.
(The last card face up is not the last card of the deck.)

So you can force a number, a card, or both. The method is diabolical.

There's a few cards setup that is not easy to detect and most of the deck can be shuffled if you word your instructions right.
James Warren
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of James Warren
Sorry, I screwed up on that last post by posting my comment INTO the quote! What I said is:

No, the instructions will not be written -- they will call me on the phone and I will lead them through it. I can't imagine anyone reconstructing it [Red Herring]. The overwhelming impression is of random mixing and random card selection.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1293 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2018, James Warren wrote:
Mike, there is no possibility of verbal manipulation. I want to MAIL a deck of cards to someone with written instructions and let them fool themself.

You're contradicting yourself.
saxonia
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of saxonia
For the "mail" version, we could use the Kruskal count.
saxonia
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of saxonia
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2018, saxonia wrote:
For the "mail" version, we could use the Kruskal count.

OK... I just realized that "Sum Talk of Alexander" which has been suggested before already use a related principle.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Self-force (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL