The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Trusted honest reviewers? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
501 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
I have two card routines that I've developed that I'm thinking of selling as a package. I'd like to send the performances videos/explanations to a few knowledgeable Café Members for review and to give me feedback. I don't visit the Café a whole lot so I'm not sure who might be the best people to send it to.

Although, I have not seen either of these routines anywhere else, I'd like someone who is pretty knowledgeable that might be able to tell me if they've seen something that's similar enough that I should be made aware of it.

Any suggestions?
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of The_Mediocre_Gatsby
Andy at The Jerx has offered to review a product if the creator asks him to. He will give his honest, unbiased opinion good or bad however, so only ask if you're confident in your work and have thick skin in case he doesn't like it. The upside is that he has a fairly large fan base who know if he gives a positive recommendation then the product is worth checking out.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2810 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
If it's a mem deck related package go ask waterloophai! He has seen a lot and can give good advice....
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
NeverMind
View Profile
Regular user
Right up there. On the stage.
169 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2018, Nicolino wrote:
If it's a mem deck related package go ask waterloophai! He has seen a lot and can give good advice....

I second Nicolino.
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1716 Posts

Profile of David Numen
A look at some of my less mischievous posts will reveal I'm fairly straight and honest with reviews. Congratulations on asking - it's a big step not enough creators take and whether you take me up or not I hope it leads to a decent release!
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1716 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Despite my warning about being straight and honest, brad12d3 sent me a video link to a performance and a video link and password to the explanation. I have watched the performance but have elected not to watch the explanation - simply because it's evident to me how it was done.

It's largely a sort of matching effect wrapped around a rather bizarre - in the worst possible meaning - spy story framework. I think this is to cover up the procedure at the start which takes a lot of time and doesn't really make much sense without a framework. Basically two piles of cards are dealt from a cut deck. One pile represents the baddies, one represents the goodies. You remove a second deck, add the "goodies" to it and then attempt to match up the correct cards to represent all the baddies. I personally found this a bit laborious and illogical - cards were referred to as entry level, middle level and high level but there was no actual reason for this because they were just a dealt pile of cards. There was no reason for any card to be harder to uncover as any other but the patter suggests otherwise and I don't think stands up to scrutiny.

Overall I don't care for it - it's too muddied an effect and the lame patter story tries to justify the muddiness. Also - and I might be being unfair here - brad says "ummm" and "Soooo" fairly often which suggests that this isn't even as polished as it should be.

I've gone through a recent spate of boning up on faro tricks, breather crimp tricks and memdeck tricks. Some of them I love the sheer cleverness of but would never do for an audience. This trick I don't see as being particularly clever, the plot isn't straightforward (ask yourself is there a more direct way to get the same effect) and the performance is kind of OK.

Go back to the effect. All the spectator is likely to remember is that some cards the dealt were matched by you. Forget about justifying your procedure and instead strip the effect down and think whether this is any better than any other matching effect or whether there'd be an even more magical way to get to the end point.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2810 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Wow. That's a tough review. But it's one the most honest post I have read in years here in TMC.

Thanks for being honest and not over-hyping! Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Trusted honest reviewers? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL