The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Jafi Read (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
SteveTheAmazing
View Profile
Regular user
Detroit,MI
111 Posts

Profile of SteveTheAmazing
I believe we always mention our involvement in anyone's work that we review. We're here commenting because we have read the book and are trying to explain how we feel about it.

Craig, Adrien, and I became acquainted through an appreciation of each other's work, but we also stuck together because we don't "Yes Man" each other. Our goal is to put out quality material that we enjoy, have performed, and think is useful to the community. We know saying a bad product is good in order to not hurt each other's feelings isn't helpful in the long run.

This book has gone through six variations that each could have been published. Adrien listened to positive and negative feedback and adjusted it to be the best product it could be.

The focus is on the conversation and the reading, however, there's only two "contact points" to the star sign reveal. That means that you can add these two moments to a standard routine such as a drawing duplication or name reveal to learn a star sign on top of your normal reveal. The second moment to get the star sign is covered up so nicely that it almost feels like it didn't even happen and that moment only came about because Adrien sat on this material for most of 2018 after it was already written to be published.

The focus shouldn't be on the star sign reveal, but I stand by my statement earlier that this is the overall best star sign reveal I've encountered.

Quote:
On Sep 8, 2018, IAIN wrote:
I thought Jacob was done with the café?!

I know its difficult, but all you guys kinda know each other, right? you all seem to pop up and mention/review each other's work...I get that its difficult to get the word out - but...its now it happens so often its getting a bit much...
rockbrunnen
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of rockbrunnen
I like this book very much. In the private facebook group,
Adrien posts demo videos and bonus pdfs.
If you like Pure Mentalism by Nico, I am sure you will enjoy The Jafi Read too.
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
Thanks, rockbrunnen!

I am glad you like the book and appreciate the effort to provide additional value.

Quote:
On Sep 13, 2018, rockbrunnen wrote:
I like this book very much. In the private facebook group,
Adrien posts demo videos and bonus pdfs.
If you like Pure Mentalism by Nico, I am sure you will enjoy The Jafi Read too.
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
Hello everyone!

The Jafi Read is now available on mentalistry and it's been brought to my attention that it's currently the best reviewed ebook there Smile

https://mentalistry.com/products/e-books......-lochon/
SteveTheAmazing
View Profile
Regular user
Detroit,MI
111 Posts

Another free goodie just added to the Jafi Facebook group this week.

A favorite of mine called "Memoria Light."
mindguru
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of mindguru
I enjoyed the the thinking in this book. It’s not just about star signs, but also about making connections. If you don’t like doing readings you probably wouldn’t enjoy it. I have come across some of the ideas previously, but that’s because I’m a bit obsessed with this topic.

The endorsements for the book tempted me, especially the one by Aaron Alexander, as he doesn’t endorse much.
SteveTheAmazing
View Profile
Regular user
Detroit,MI
111 Posts

I agree that readings are a big and important part of this and that they would be done with the routine. However, I (and Adrien) have inserted this into standard routines as well. If anyone wants some ideas, feel free to get in touch.

With that said, this is better done with the readings. "Don't add anything" to paraphrase Warren Thackeray about this.
Caveman
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Caveman
If this is asking too much feel free to tell me so. But, does the reading have to be a palm reading?
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
I don't do it as a palm reading (although I imagine any oracle could be used for this). The reading I use is more of a "let me tell you what I feel when I look at you" kinda thing, but it is very conversational and free flowing, so you can adapt this to many things.

If you want to discuss a little deeper than this, PM me and I'll gladly answer.

Quote:
On Oct 5, 2018, Caveman wrote:
If this is asking too much feel free to tell me so. But, does the reading have to be a palm reading?
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of ed wood
In the forum rules posted by Steve Brooks it says the following:
" those individuals who come to this forum expecting to receive free advertising, think again. Obvious commercial posts (e.g, Now taking pre-orders, Our new product will ship on ..., We are offering a special if you order now, I accept PayPal, etc) will be removed and the offending member may be banned at the descretion of management."

Just curious as to why the mods no longer enforce this rule and have allowed latest and greatest to turn into one big free advertising forum?
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2018, ed wood wrote:
Just curious as to why the mods no longer enforce this rule and have allowed latest and greatest to turn into one big free advertising forum?

Tis a good question, isn't it? However, I suspect that it is more than "curiousity" that drives your question. Smile

I think the situation is one that is impossible to really police without a more concerted effort. And would it even be worth it? Like it or not, I think "Latest and Greatest" is an asset just the way it is. Maybe not so much for me - or you, but likely for others.

Turn on your filter when you need to?
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2018, Sudo Nimh wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2018, ed wood wrote:

Tis a good question, isn't it? However, I suspect that it is more than "curiousity" that drives your question. Intention is everything. Smile

not sure what your point is here?
My question is driven by the fact that 90% of the posts on latest and greatest are blatant advertising. This place is no longer led by independent reviewers giving honest opinions but by people marketing their own or their friends products. Its becoming rare to see a truly honest review. This isn't aimed solely at this thread, although it's a blatant example, but the majority of threads here.
It drives me mad that people like Titanas are awarded VIP status despite only posting about new products from Murphys, is that really the ethos of magicians helping magicians? Is Steve Brooks aware his rules no longer apply.

Edit....See you've added to your post since you first wrote it so now your point is a little clearer.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Ed, you're not alone in your feelings. I happen to agree with you, btw.

While you were writing your reply, I edited my original to remove the "intention" part because I knew that it wouldn't likely be interpreted the way it was intended.

I think it unfair to lump me in the same category here as well. IIRC, I think I have only ever had one thing of mine posted up in "Latest". I didn't ask for the thread to be created (no shill) and it wasn't full of glowing reviews but just comments from those who'd actually purchased said item. That's it. It is likely that I have given away far more than I have ever sold and more than any other "creator". In fact, I'm not even selling things anymore. Do you see a website link in my signature?

But back to the topic, I agree with many of your feelings here and probably so do many others. At the same time though, do you not see how amusing the situation really is though? Or at least, I find it so. The amusement comes from the transparency of it all, because it is really quite obvious what is going on, isn't it? But where no actual harm is being done, why bother tiring yourself by swimming against the stream? That's the conclusion and general line of thinking I've reached on many things lately because frankly, I have better things to think about. But that's just me.

I'm honestly trying to understand why this situation bothers you and mean no offense.
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
Exclusive Café offer! For the next 3 days, get The Jafi Read at 20% off if you PM me the promo code THANKYOUEDWOOD.

Thanks,
Adrien.
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of ed wood
No offense taken.
It bother me because I love the art of magic, particularly mentalism, something I make my sole income from performing.
I appreciate that people have always made money from selling magic tricks but in recent years it's got out of hand. Magic is becoming less a performance art and more a source of income for marketers selling the latest products. This forum is very guilty for allowing this practice. My complaints alone are almost certainly futile but maybe if enough voices are raised in protest we might make a difference.
Ultimately it comes down to the mods enforcing the rules and only allowing genuine, unbiased reviews to introduce a new product.
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2018, Adrien L. wrote:
Exclusive Café offer! For the next 3 days, get The Jafi Read at 20% off if you PM me the promo code THANKYOUEDWOOD.

Thanks,
Adrien.

You're welcome Adrien. Although if people want a real reason to thank me and want to start learning how to give readings let me recommend buying Richard Websters A to Z instead. You'll find plenty of genuine reviews, not from his friends, all over the internet. Again, you're welcome.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
I happen to agree Ed. I love this art too and understand that passion. And I'm very happy that you didn't take my post offensively.

On the same subject, but different note, I am finding more and more that I don't really need "Latest and Greatest" in this art. I seem to have fallen back on "Oldest and Usually Best". It's certainly less expensive and the work is often better polished and formed. Not to disparage Adrien's release or any others', but it is generally true. Smile
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2018, ed wood wrote:

You're welcome Adrien. Although if people want a real reason to thank me and want to start learning how to give readings let me recommend buying Richard Websters A to Z instead. You'll find plenty of genuine reviews, not from his friends, all over the internet. Again, you're welcome.

Oh, but I wasn't thanking you. People who get the book at a discount should thank you. I don't want to reward your trollish attitude.

Your post is wrong at so many levels... First, it shows you obviously didn't read the book. If you did, you wouldn't be making the silly Webster remark, as that point and many others are addressed in a dedicated chapter in the book. Second, I'm glad Webster didn't have friends like you to tell him to stick to systematic seer, or he wouldn't come up with A to Z.

As for friends reviews, that's where it starts, but if you had a slightly more I inquisitive attitude, you would have seen the book has been praised by everyone who read it, friend or not.

Now, if you're on such a noble quest for righteousness, maybe start your own thread instead of coming at a new and unknown author as myself. If you want to discuss the book, feel free to. And don't forget you can get it at a discount Smile
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2018, Adrien L. wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2018, ed wood wrote:

Oh, but I wasn't thanking you. People who get the book at a discount should thank you. I don't want to reward your trollish attitude.

Your post is wrong at so many levels... First, it shows you obviously didn't read the book. If you did, you wouldn't be making the silly Webster remark, as that point and many others are addressed in a dedicated chapter in the book. Second, I'm glad Webster didn't have friends like you to tell him to stick to systematic seer, or he wouldn't come up with A to Z.

As for friends reviews, that's where it starts, but if you had a slightly more I inquisitive attitude, you would have seen the book has been praised by everyone who read it, friend or not.

Now, if you're on such a noble quest for righteousness, maybe start your own thread instead of coming at a new and unknown author as myself. If you want to discuss the book, feel free to. And don't forget you can get it at a discount Smile

If my above posts are deemed trollish then consider me living under a bridge feasting on goat!
Your point about friends reviews being where it starts is where you are so wrong and the reason people no longer trust these advertising posts from friends. Before the days of the internet there were barriers to prevent unoriginal, unworkable garbage being released on to the market (to an extent). It would be necessary to submit your ideas to a dealer, who may or may not choose to publish it. If they chose to publish it they would risk time and money on the release before advertising it and sending it off to magic stores. That barrier gave some form of quality control. Sure there were some bad dealers who would release garbage and falsely advertise it but, once bitten and all that, generally these people wouldn't last long.
Now with self publishing a novice performer can get a few glowing reviews from friends who may have no actual experience of performing, knock out a few copies on their home printers or an ebook and hopefully watch the money come rolling in.
I appreciate it a hell of a lot easier to sell half baked ideas and this weeks latest star sign/name/drawing/pin number reveal on the magic Café than it is to become a successful professional performer but that is why the few true classics of magic come from people with a life times experience of performing under their belts and not an idea that you came up with whilst sitting on the toilet.
I hope you choose the professional performer route. It's hard work but if you succeed there really is nothing more satisfying. In 40 years time, with endless experience performing your original work imagine the masterpiece of a book you'll be in a position to publish and the legacy you'll leave behind.
Adrien L.
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Adrien L.
You're still talking as if you know what you're talking about, yet you haven't read the book. I would expect more from an "experienced performer"... I will tell you the same thing as I've told everyone who, having nothing bad to say about the book, have said bad things about whatever they could cling on: buy the book, read it and THEN trash it if you must. If you haven't read the book, your opinion is even less relevant than the ones of my friends...

I would like this to be my last post about irrelevant stuff on this thread. As I've said: keep the thread on topic and, if you must, make your own thread about whatever problems you want to discuss and I'll be sure to weigh in on it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Jafi Read (32 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL