The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do you perform the rice bowls without making a mess? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

amazing_mr_z
View Profile
New user
Russellville, AR
9 Posts

Profile of amazing_mr_z
I'm not exactly new to magic, but I still have a lot to learn. I'd like to perform the rice bowls effect, but I usually wind up spilling water and/or rice on the floor. Short of performing it while standing in a bathtub, what tips can you offer? Thanks!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2751 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You perform it over a tray.
Ian.Adams
View Profile
New user
Southern California
8 Posts

Profile of Ian.Adams
Rice bowls were one of the first tricks I learned as a kid, and I always did it over a tray. Personally, I think a bit of spillage with the rice actually contributes to the visual effect, like saying look this is real rice I'm spilling.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7701 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yup! When I did the rice bowls as a teenager, I was the very proud owner of P&L rice bowls. They were the "parlor size" (about the size of tea cups!). I used a tray, and, learned to put some loose rice grains, or a match stick, under the water loaded bowl, inverted on the tray. That made sure that the disc didn't adhere to the tray, when picked up, and "deposit" the water onto the tray.!

Marshall Brodien (of the "TV Magic Cards" was taping a commercial for the rice bowls, in a Chicago TV Studio, in the '70s. He used neither rice grains, nor a match stick.

Looking into the camera, he reached for the loaded bowl. The water spread on the table. Without missing a word of the script, his hand tried to scoop the water back into the bowl! The camera crew fell on the floor, screaming with laughter!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2751 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Oh, great! Another secret exposed.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
480 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
You might think about other things that could go in the bowls that stay put better...cheerios, wrapped candy's, etc.

Its been decades since I played with the prop so there may be reasons that make rice the best stuff to use, but benefit of thinking of other options is that may suggest different patter and premises that would make the trick more contemporary...as well as neater. Smile
Vitas White
View Profile
New user
Boston
51 Posts

Profile of Vitas White
Honestly, it's okay to make a mess with your bowls! It really adds to the effect and makes it look that much more real to the spectator. If everything was perfectly neat, it may look a bit too gimmicky. Just act natural and be yourself, and if some grains spill out, roll with it!
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it now. Boldness has genius, power, and magic at its core.
amazing_mr_z
View Profile
New user
Russellville, AR
9 Posts

Profile of amazing_mr_z
Perform it over a tray - got it, stand in a bathtub. Smile Thanks for all the replies. I really like the matchstick tip!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
7701 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Friend "Z"...

Yup! it's those "little things" that "make the difference"!!! --and, a "penny box" of matches, can last for a gezillion shows!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do you perform the rice bowls without making a mess? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL