The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Shell recommendations ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I've recently got Absolutely Nuts by Bob Sheets as I would like to add the 3 shell game to my repertoire, I have held off watching it yet as I don't have a shell set which brings me to my question.

My question is what shells should I purchase and what should I be looking for in a shell as I don't really know what I should be looking for ie I've read terms like a bottom ridge shell but have no idea what that means.

What I do know is that I prefer to use a shell that actually looks like a shell rather than a metal shell and I would like something that is good quality, any advice would be much appreciated.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Warren:

Check out these sites:

3shells.com

scoundrelsstore.com

Both have a quality product and great customer service, and a great selection of shells.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks LeoH I will do Smile
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
3shells.com look for vintage shells
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks for the suggestions having looked at the sites wow I didn't realise there would be such choice however the downside is I'm now even more confused as to which to get haha.
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
Warren,

If you want to do the same type handling that is done on the Absolutely Nuts video by Bob Sheets, you might want to get the classic type shells.

The bottom ridge type shells bring a little different handling than what is on your video. But they do have many more features.

It just depends on the person which type shell works the best for them.

Hope you find a set that works well for you!

Al
Manufacture of 3 Shell Game Sets & 3 Disk Monte Sets
3shells.com and magicswindles.com
Markus_M
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Markus_M
I once owned the simple cheap plastic shells you get everywhere. They where sufficient to learn the basic handling.
Reading this thread, I wonder, if anybody does it with actual walnut shells...
Regards,
Markus
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2018, shellgame-al wrote:
Warren,

If you want to do the same type handling that is done on the Absolutely Nuts video by Bob Sheets, you might want to get the classic type shells.

The bottom ridge type shells bring a little different handling than what is on your video. But they do have many more features.

It just depends on the person which type shell works the best for them.

Hope you find a set that works well for you!

Al

Perhaps I should take a little look at Absolutely Nuts now rather than waiting until I get some shells and see what shells Bob uses before making any decisions.
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
Warren,

I tried to send you some information to help in a PM and got - ERROR: The user "warren" has run out of space.
All users are limited to 60 total topics.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I'll message you that way you'll be able to reply theoretically thanks
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
Markus_M,

Real walnut shells are what was originally used. But in time they would crack and all three shells wouldn't look the same. Some still use real walnut shells.

The shell game can be displayed with any type container to cover the pea if the handling is done right.

The key to handling the shells and the pea well is by training your memory muscles well where it just becomes all automatic natural moves without even thinking about doing it.
This is why selecting the right shell and pea that works more natural for you is important.

Yes, a cheap set of shells is fine for someone that is just entertaining family and friends, but most magicians that are getting paid to entertain don't want a cheap looking display.

If done on the streets as a con game it doesn't matter what you use, cheaper looking could maybe be even better. But the handling still needs to look natural.
Markus_M
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Markus_M
Of course you are right and I also plan to get one of the nice sets. I just wanted to say, that you can try it with cheap ones and see if the trick is for you. I also don't want to be seen with that plastic things.
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
I totally agree with that, to first see if it is really something you want to take any further.
licker98
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of licker98
I use the copper shells from school for scoundrels and I really like them, because of their size. I think the effect looks much more impressive with shells that have a lower profile & appear smaller. However, it's still of utmost importance to ensure that you can handle the shells well, so if you need bigger shells, then you should get bigger shells. Saying that, I believe I have quite large hands, and the SfS shells are considered small compared to other shells (I think) and I have no problem handling them.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2018, licker98 wrote:
I use the copper shells from school for scoundrels and I really like them, because of their size. I think the effect looks much more impressive with shells that have a lower profile & appear smaller. However, it's still of utmost importance to ensure that you can handle the shells well, so if you need bigger shells, then you should get bigger shells. Saying that, I believe I have quite large hands, and the SfS shells are considered small compared to other shells (I think) and I have no problem handling them.

Interesting.... does that mean in your opinion bigger shells are in fact easier to use ?
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Also, check out threeshellgame.com
licker98
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of licker98
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2018, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2018, licker98 wrote:

Interesting.... does that mean in your opinion bigger shells are in fact easier to use ?

Hmmm, I would say "mostly". I guess if you wanted to get very technical & pedantic, you could say the most ergonomic shells are easiest to handle. Shells with a taller profile are easier to pick up, but, if my knowledge of physics is correct, harder to push (if only ever so slightly and unnoticeably harder). Taller shells will probably make the pea look smaller and will make the pea's movement look a bit less impossible. I'm not sure if you can still buy these, but I've seen Bob Sheets use these tiny shells which make the pea look huge and it seems as though it would be impossible for the pea to be moved from the shell.

Whichever shells you buy, you'll learn to use them well. I originally wanted the resin street shells, but the metal shells were the only ones available at the time. In some ways, I'm glad I got the metal ones, since their weight comes in handy for some moves.

Anyway, my point is so long as you use high quality shells and the Perfect Pea, it really won't matter too much. Bear in mind a light shell may flip over in a shot glass routine.
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
Small, large and heavy shells can be easy or hard to handle depending on the shape of the shell.

The key is the shape of the shell for getting a good grip on the shell to pick up or handle.

Where you will find a shell that is hard to pick up is where the shell has a lower inward taper from the bottom of the shell wall to the top of the shell.

This type shell is hard to get a good grip because the fingers will slip upward and off of the shell with this low upward inward taper.

If the fingertips can grip a flat surface on the shell wall without any low inward taper, it doesn't matter how heavy or what size the shells are, they will be easy to pick up and handle.

Most people miss this. This is why most people think a larger shell is easier to pick up than a smaller shell.

This is only because in most cases the larger walnut shell wall inward taper will not start as low as small walnut shells.

All of my walnut shells, small, large or heavy metal shells don't have this low inward taper and they are all easy to grip and handle for this reason.

If I use a large shell that is more visual, I just use a larger pea like a 7/16" pea.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks guys for all this information, a lot of it is over my head at this moment in time haha. Hopefully over the next few days I'll get the chance to study Bob sheets Absolutely Nuts plus the PDF that Al was kind enough to send me.

Once again thanks for all the input.
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
I started with the shells at the start of this year.

I purchased the Street Shells from penguin magic (school of scoundrels).

I think these are considered the mid-range price wise set of shells. I've been very happy with them.

Done a lot of practice with them, and have built up a routine, based off Terry Wards routine. If you Youtube him, Terry Ward (Jack Diamond) there are a number of videos of him performing at Disneyland.

His shell routine is fantastic. Its more how he engages his audience which is great to learn off.

I've performed it about 5 times now in public. Going down a treat. OVer the next few months, I'd expect to do this a LOT more, and really refine the routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » Shell recommendations ? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL