We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » School me on the practicality of IT/IET/ITR (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

will lane
View Profile
New user
Will likes to post so he has made
72 Posts

Profile of will lane
I've always really liked the idea of IT, but never really could grasp it for a practical use. To me, it would require too much setup to do in a performance, or walking around with it on all day is bound for breaking.

But I don't really know much about ITR's, or IET. The big ITR is the Tarantula 2, right? What about IET or loops? How practical do ITR's make IT magic? Thanks for any help you can give. Smile
Markus_M
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Markus_M
Hm, tricky to answer without revealing to much.
The difference between IT and IET should be in the name. Loops are... well IET with knotted ends. Thin rubber bands if you wish. An ITR just applies constant tension to the thread.
Setup isn't that much of a hassle and done correctly it won't break.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'big' regarding the Tarantula but if it's in reference to size ... Then ,no.
A good place to learn more about all that is Ammar's "Easy to master thread miracles".

I hope this gives you at least an idea,
Markus.
will lane
View Profile
New user
Will likes to post so he has made
72 Posts

Profile of will lane
^ Thanks for the reply! By "big" referring to the Tarantula, I just meant the biggest or at least one of the biggest names in IT tech. How does a reel/tarantula compare to Steve Fearson's Master Levitation System? Or are they to be used together? Further, what are the benefits of elastic loops compared to normal IT/ITR? And what are the benefits of a tarantula compared to a typical mechanic reel?
Markus_M
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Markus_M
Ok, got'ya!
Yes there is a lot of word going around of the Tarantula.
While I, for obvious reasons, can't tell you what or what not might work with Fearson's hookup I can go a bit deeper on the characteristics of the individual bits. But then again, we both aren't that far away from 50 posts, right?
So, first to the types of threads.
As the names imply, IT is just a very thin thread. Same mechanical features as magicians rope. Just a piece of thread. Although not as easy to see.
Elastic thread on the other hand is nothing more than very rubberband (although not made of rubber). You can stretch it to a multitude of it's initial length and when the force is released it will snap back to it's initial position.

No put some of those** in a reel and you have a device, which will apply a constant force to the thread. Which means, if you apply one end of the tread to object (or hold it between your fingers) the piece of thread between that anchor and the reel will be held in a constant state of tension. If you let go of the end, the thread will be "sucked up" by the reel. Now ITRs always apply such force (although I believe I've seen lockable ones).
The Tarantula goes a bit further by letting you control, when that force is applied.

Again, I can't tell you for what the individual types are used but, from reading your other stuff on the board, I think you should have a bit of an idea, what's going on. Just so much: Far more than just "make things fly".

Have fun thinking Smile,
Markus

**BTW I am not aware of ITRs that use IET. But don't quote me on that because it's been a few days since I dabbled in that area.
Ironjim
View Profile
New user
Northern Ca
37 Posts

Profile of Ironjim
Halloween is right around the corner - Haunted Deck, fits in... just saying.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6557 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thing is, Jim, Haunted Deck does not use IT or IET. And yeah, IET in an ITR does not make sense. I seem to have owned every ITR made. I HATE them! Pain in the A** in every way. I use Steve Fearson's system exclusively. His Master Levitation System covers it all. When he was in Ft Myers, we worked on the "Poor Man's ITR", a 2 inch brass ring. I am also a BIG fan of Thread Bullets. I have collected THOUSANDS of feet of IT...every usable color and type. I have Kevlar, Woolly Nylon Serging Thread, Vectra, Paul Hass "blue", Vectra X2 and Vectra Virtuoso. I only use the Virtuoso and Vectra now. With JoeJoe's original Web Spinner, I am completely set.

I haven't performed in a couple years. When I did, I'd carry woolly on a pencil as a back up. My Royal Blue stuff. The Vectra has never let me down. I have stayed way from Loops and IET. Not because it's not GOOD. It's just another avenue. I am so steeped in IT...it's hard to do anything else. With all the ITRs out there, Tarantula and Spider pen, I believe it's money wasted. Toys for magicians. The Old School woolly and scotch tape worked for me for YEARS. After spending HUNDREDS of $$$ on ITR crap, I came back to the Old School way. I like simple. The less work (hassle) the better.

The Haunted Deck is done without the need for IT. Think Rising Card sideways. Again OLD School! I think Greater Magic is where I learned that.

Doug
will lane
View Profile
New user
Will likes to post so he has made
72 Posts

Profile of will lane
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2018, Dougini wrote:
Thing is, Jim, Haunted Deck does not use IT or IET. And yeah, IET in an ITR does not make sense. I seem to have owned every ITR made. I HATE them! Pain in the A** in every way. I use Steve Fearson's system exclusively. His Master Levitation System covers it all. When he was in Ft Myers, we worked on the "Poor Man's ITR", a 2 inch brass ring. I am also a BIG fan of Thread Bullets. I have collected THOUSANDS of feet of IT...every usable color and type. I have Kevlar, Woolly Nylon Serging Thread, Vectra, Paul Hass "blue", Vectra X2 and Vectra Virtuoso. I only use the Virtuoso and Vectra now. With JoeJoe's original Web Spinner, I am completely set.

I haven't performed in a couple years. When I did, I'd carry woolly on a pencil as a back up. My Royal Blue stuff. The Vectra has never let me down. I have stayed way from Loops and IET. Not because it's not GOOD. It's just another avenue. I am so steeped in IT...it's hard to do anything else. With all the ITRs out there, Tarantula and Spider pen, I believe it's money wasted. Toys for magicians. The Old School woolly and scotch tape worked for me for YEARS. After spending HUNDREDS of $$$ on ITR crap, I came back to the Old School way. I like simple. The less work (hassle) the better.

The Haunted Deck is done without the need for IT. Think Rising Card sideways. Again OLD School! I think Greater Magic is where I learned that.

Doug


How do you think the MLS holds up (as in, staying set up and not breaking) during walk-around? I don't know all the details on MLS so I don't know what pre-performance looks like.
will lane
View Profile
New user
Will likes to post so he has made
72 Posts

Profile of will lane
If its not against forum rules, I think I'll start a similar thread... in the Banquet hall as I just unlocked 50 posts (woohoo!). That way we don't have to get so close to revealing our wizardry.
Magic_son
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Magic_son
Hey Will you in eastern NC? I'm a world away in western NC how are you holding up?
I suggest that you get a hold of the amazing joejoe, he is from SC and has as much real working wisdom in the art of IT as anyone
he is on here or facebook. pm me for further detail if you would like...
will lane
View Profile
New user
Will likes to post so he has made
72 Posts

Profile of will lane
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2018, Magic_son wrote:
Hey Will you in eastern NC? I'm a world away in western NC how are you holding up?
I suggest that you get a hold of the amazing joejoe, he is from SC and has as much real working wisdom in the art of IT as anyone
he is on here or facebook. pm me for further detail if you would like...
Thanks for the suggestion! Joejoe and I have talked a little bit in the off-topic forum about Hurricane Florence. I'll ask him, thanks! Smile
David_MacFarlane
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of David_MacFarlane
Who was it, who famously said of thread, "How else?" That for me is the biggest problem with thread, that you really need to prove that it's not thread, which is tough, cause it is.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6557 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2018, will lane wrote:

How do you think the MLS holds up (as in, staying set up and not breaking) during walk-around? I don't know all the details on MLS so I don't know what pre-performance looks like.


I wrote that I use the Fearson System exclusively. That is not entirely true. I have a few "tools" in addition. Sometimes, woolly on a pencil is all I need. Other times, I'm "loaded to the gills". Breakage is a big problem. Walkaround, I find myself constantly excusing myself to reload. Plus, now I find that IT is better known to the lay public than when I started. So just floating something willy-nilly is not recommended. You can thank the Mall kiosks for that. IT is not recommended for buskers in Las Vegas for just that reason.

For walkaround, I would like something robust and dependable, if I was working. IT and IET are NOT dependable! So many times...I learned the hard way. Sometimes, simple is better. When you are a pro, you want NO slip ups. IT was a nightmare for me. The flashing. They people I was performing for, could not see it. The people BEHIND them COULD! Oops. No control. You don't want the people you just performed for, to see you from an angle that exposes it. That goes for other tricks besides IT.

Doug
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Riding the Cancer Recovery Coaster into
4200 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
For as "Known" as IT is, Joe Joe does a wonderful job floating bills while busking at Myrtle Beach over and over throughout the day and evening.
Cancer Sux

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).






Smile Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6557 Posts

Profile of Dougini
That is true, Poof. Then again, JoeJoe has STYLE. A seasoned pro. Someone who is just starting out has to realize, just "floating" something is FAR different from a complete act. And a showman like JoeJoe is rare. I've never seen anyone do the things with IT JoeJoe has. Also busking at Myrtle Beach over and over really takes talent and nerve! A tremendous achievement! Ya know, it's hard to watch JoeJoe and not want to copy him. And that I definitely caution against!

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » School me on the practicality of IT/IET/ITR (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL