We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Vernet Classic TT (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

will lane
View Profile
New user
Will likes to post so he has made
72 Posts

Profile of will lane
I bought a Vernet Classic TT (hard) after researching around for the "standard" TT. I really liked that the color seemed to match my skin color more accurately compared to the TT I did have which was much more red-toned. Yes, the audience isn't ever supposed to get a good look at the TT, but spending a few bucks on a more "accurate" TT helps me with confidence in performance.

When I got it, I really liked the color in natural light (sunlight). In artificial light, like in my house where the light is yellowish, it takes on a greyish hue. My other TT looks better in the artificial light in my house. But outside/in less colored lighting, the Vernet looks great. The Vernet also fits really well and has a great amount of room compared to my other TT.

Something I didn't expect is the seam on the Vernet. Again, the audience will not notice it in a good performance but not having a seam helps with confidence. I was able to blend the seam all the way around the TT using a slightly rough fabric- car upholstery, in fact. It was quite a silly moment but I just rubbed the seams against the upholstery for a while and the seam melded together.

Most important is to get the seam on the tip blended, as that is the most exposed part of a TT. If you do this yourself, be sure not to use upholstery or fabrics that may have a strong die/a darker color, as the die may come off onto the TT. I wouldn't use sandpaper, either. You aren't really shaving off material, just heating up the material enough so it evens out.

A last thing I didn't expect is how translucent the Vernet is. I like a blue silk compared to the typical red silk, but the blue silk gives the TT a darker hue. A little bit of red something in the tip of the TT helps. Still, a bill hidden ready for a switch can be seen if you're looking for it.

Again, most of these issues are cosmetic and they don't really matter if you are doing a good performance. But hey, extra confidence is always great. If you need a lo-fi TT that looks great out the box, I would be hesitant with the Vernet. You have to do a little work. I don't really want to go the hyper-realistic TT route, I don't know why. I kind of like the idea of such a lo-fi object that allows such a convincing effect. But hey, as cheap as TT's are, it wouldn't hurt to try a few and see what works best.

The Vernet still does look the best and feel the best out of the TT's I have. If you don't care about the seam and translucency, it's a great buy. And again, just remember that the looks don't really matter. I just like to be able to fool myself while I'm fooling the audience.
will lane
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of will lane
Well, I did a silk appearance/vanish a few times today to some friends with the Vernet. I thought I performed it well enough so that "they wouldn't see it even if they knew to look for it" but I don't think it worked. I think the Vernet is just too transparent. TT's don't have to be exact but the tip color is very yellow compared to my more pale pink skin. I was in some harsh lighting too. Maybe I just didn't perform it well enough. But I've done the trick with my other TT and it seemed to go well all the time (unless I botched it).

I guess for a typical red silk it wouldn't matter. But I like a dark blue silk, so it shows through.

The other TT is called "Morris" ( https://smhttp-ssl-42830.nexcesscdn.net/......rris.jpg ) and the tip color is much closer to my own and it is much less transparent. Although I liked the feel of the Vernet better, I'll keep using this Morris TT until I get a chance to physically try some other ones.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
You could coat the inside with a paint that would match your skin color. Might help?
will lane
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of will lane
Quote:
On Sep 18, 2018, Dan Ford wrote:
You could coat the inside with a paint that would match your skin color. Might help?
I thought about that. I used a red sharpie to give the Vernet some pinkish color in the inside. The problem is that the plastic's thickness isn't uniform throughout, so some spots would shine a deeper red/pink than others. It looked goofy.

I've ordered the HD TT by Alan Wong. We'll see how it turns out. I guess I have a freer handling which requires possibly a more realistic tip.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Have you thought about painting the outside of the tt? You can get acrylic paints and mix your own color with a combination of light brown, white and red. Use small amounts of each as you find your color of skin tone. I have done this, so I know it works. Use an eye dropper and count your drops for a recipe for future.
will lane
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of will lane
That's a good idea. If the HD TT doesn't really work well, I'll take that route. Does the acrylic paint chip/wear over time?
Dan Ford
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Spray the acrylic paint with a flat clear spray like Tester's Dullcote or matte finish clear spray. This will protect it. You can get these at your hardware or hobby shop.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Vernet Classic TT (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL