The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Frozen in Time, High Tech Version by Masuda (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1409 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
I got the replacement from Murphy's.

New batch according to Murphy's.

This is working fine, I guess the manufacturer fixed the problem, at least on the one I now have.
Bogbadger
View Profile
Veteran user
England
315 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
Thanks for the update Al, much appreciated
magic259
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of magic259
Hi Al, many thanks for the update.

Are you happy to share what operating range / distance you are getting with this new one?
Bendy
View Profile
Elite user
Winter Garden, Florida
486 Posts

Profile of Bendy
This has been one of the most helpful threads I have found. ...On any item. I have, and am a fan of, the original Frozen In Time, (non-tech). I like that the entire watch face is showing on the new version and I have been considering the high-tech version. I think, if it was half the price it is, I would have bought it straight away; but for $300, I have got some concerns and questions. This thread has answered several of my questions, (range issues, battery type and number, reliability, etc.). I have a few more:

1. If the spectator is holding the box, can a sound be heard when the mechanism is moving the watch face?
2. Again, if the spectator is holding the box, can any movement associated with the mechanics working be felt by them?
3. How easy is the remote to operate? Are there multiple buttons representing specific times, or do you have to hit a single button the correct amount of times?
4. Problems with the box, (no on/off switch, receiver distance, etc.), have been discussed. Are there any issues associated with the remote that would cause it to be the cause of any failures?

Thanks!
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
1986 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
1. If the spectator is holding the box, can a sound be heard when the mechanism is moving the watch face?
2. Again, if the spectator is holding the box, can any movement associated with the mechanics working be felt by them?

If the spectator holds the box, he will definitely feel a vibration.

If the box is placed on a hard surface, the vibration will be heard.

So the box has to be placed a soft surface (scarf, close-up mat...) to avoid any noticeable vibrations.

3. How easy is the remote to operate? Are there multiple buttons representing specific times, or do you have to hit a single button the correct amount of times?

I don’t want to reveal too much here, but I would say the remote is relatively easy to operate, once the initial set-up has been made (the set-up is easy to do but has to be followed correctly, step-by-step. Nothing difficult though.) The remote has a couple of modes and buttons...Don't worry, you don't have multiple buttons representing specific times... The remote can be easily operated with the thumb if the remote is palmed. I prefer to use my fingertips with the remote in my pants pocket. Either way, it is easy to operate.

4. Problems with the box, (no on/off switch, receiver distance, etc.), have been discussed. Are there any issues associated with the remote that would cause it to be the cause of any failures?

An incorrect set-up, weak batteries (in the box or in the remote) or performing too far away from the box seem to be the main sources of failure. I don't see what else could go wrong.

Unfortunately, the only way to know that the transmission has failed is to look at the display on the remote, or at the clock in the box... There is no signal, like a vibration, to inform you that the transmission has succeeded or failed.

Regarding the distance of transmission, I hope to receive my new set next week and will be glad to test and testify. Murphy’s Magic has confirmed by email that there has been a problem with a previous batch, that they have worked it out with the creator and that the transmission issues have been fixed.

By the way I received great assistance by Murphy’s!

Simon
Magic Wagon Secret Sessions thread : Table of contents
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1409 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2018, magic259 wrote:
Hi Al, many thanks for the update.

Are you happy to share what operating range / distance you are getting with this new one?

To be honest, I haven't tested for distance yet.

My original unit didn't work at all, so distance wasn't my first problem.

I will get to testing it for distance sometime this week, busy.

I did stain the box mahogany, added little felt stick-on pads on the bottom. I hate that blond color, it looks more like a keepsake box now, which is what I call the picture inside, a family keepsake, the family of H.H. Holmes, with a picture of his pocket watch, set to the exact time he was hanged.

I also keep a picture of Holmes inside, on top of the watch picture.

I'll let you know about distance soon.
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
1986 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
UPDATE

I received my new set yesterday afternoon. I made several tests since.

First, I tried at 5 feet. It worked.

Then at 12 feet (several times). It worked.

Finally I tried a couple of times at approx 25 feet. To my surprise, it still worked!

So... I’m happy to announce that the distance issue I had has been solved!

I think that a couple of things might have been modified on the transmitter. First, the electronics are now protected by a transparent plastic sleeve. Good idea! There is also an electronic component that looks like an antenna; I’m not sure if it was on my original... Jonathan, do you see an antenna circuit on the bottom right corner of your transmitter?

Finally, another minor problem (or concern) I had with my first set has apparently been solved as well. Without going into details, let say that the revealed hours on the clock are more constantly precise than they were.

I am very happy with my new set, as you can imagine! Smile

So glad I reported the problem and sent back my first set for replacement!

Now, this might be my best magic purchase so far this year!

Best,
Simon
Magic Wagon Secret Sessions thread : Table of contents
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4955 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Oh boy. Now that's an endorsement.

Time to save up some change.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
petegrimaud
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of petegrimaud
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2018, simcoscor wrote:
UPDATE

I received my new set yesterday afternoon. I made several tests since.

First, I tried at 5 feet. It worked.

Then at 12 feet (several times). It worked.

Finally I tried a couple of times at approx 25 feet. To my surprise, it still worked!

So... I’m happy to announce that the distance issue I had has been solved!

I think that a couple of things might have been modified on the transmitter. First, the electronics are now protected by a transparent plastic sleeve. Good idea! There is also an electronic component that looks like an antenna; I’m not sure if it was on my original... Jonathan, do you see an antenna circuit on the bottom right corner of your transmitter?

Finally, another minor problem (or concern) I had with my first set has apparently been solved as well. Without going into details, let say that the revealed hours on the clock are more constantly precise than they were.

I am very happy with my new set, as you can imagine! Smile

So glad I reported the problem and sent back my first set for replacement!

Now, this might be my best magic purchase so far this year!

Best,
Simon

Glad to hear you have got it sorted and the problems of the earlier models have been rectified.

Always thought this is a great piece of kit and totally baffling and impossible for the spectators.

It's not cheap and you are paying for the electronics, so they have to work correctly..!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Frozen in Time, High Tech Version by Masuda (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL