The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » DMC Elites: Marked Deck (Forest Green) (119 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
NeverMind
View Profile
Loyal user
Right up there. On the stage.
283 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
My order is in. Impatiently waiting. Hoping the best got even better. These have been absolutely my favs.
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Hi guys, ref the Passport - the effects are not *specifically* for the DMC ELITES, but they lean on features that are in our deck. So, for example, a few of the effects call on you to very quickly read a card across the table - that's not a feature that is specific to the ELITES but it is a given with our deck in a way that isn't with a lot of decks on the market. The goal for the Passport is to create a kind of crash course in using the deck in a way that adds depth and additional layering to the routines without making them difficult to do - the deck is a great creative tool and I wanted to give people some great starting points to build their own amazing experiences. They are all easy to learn and easy to do, but these are the tricks I do when I work with the deck and I know they kill. I hope you like them.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Mine arrived in the mail today. The cards look and feel awesome. I think the only thing that would even need to be mentioned with the 4 way markings is be sure you are looking at the upper markings on 6's and 9's (they are upside down on the lower corners, thus could be mixed up at a fast glance). You get a deck with the well known faces, their unique but regular looking A/S, two B&W jokers (one of which has a color card reveal) an advertising card with instructions for reading the marks and one with the history of the brand. All good, but "I" would have preferred, a Double backer or a blank face over a history card.

Now the "Passport Book". phillsmiff states above that it is not specific to the brands markings. That was my first "downer". Secondly, it is the size of an actual passport and the production quality is excellent, a clever "collectible" for those who collect. I however have a harder time reading the incredibly small text that looks about the same size as "other marked decks" that are too small to read fast and accurately - an issue that these cards fix by being large enough for me to read without my bi-focals. I struggled a bit to read thru the first half but so far the effects are pretty much what you would expect a marked deck routine to be, slower, more personalized presentation over "quick - your card is "X"...

I wish they had packaged some bricks - with a free passport up for Penguin to sell - the way the DMC website does. I bought a brick from Penguin @ $15.36 each and still had to pay $20 for a booklet I can barely read. But that is a "me issue" and not really the fault of the manufacturers.

Overall, the cards are excellent and the book is a nice "collectible" with some decent ideas in it. The last page even references a few other books on marked decks out there in Magicland that would work with these decks also.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
So they produce marked cards that are prized for being very easy to read, even for those of us with less than stellar eyesight. Then they produce a book their target market can't read. HA, that is tooooo funny!!!!

Heads would roll for an oversight like this in the corporate world.
And, okay, I realize their target market is probably not primarily people with poor eyesight, but still.
I like what they were apparently trying to do, and make the book a passport and therefore unique and collectible, and very handy.
But next time, here is a thought for you...focus groups.

But all kidding aside, these are great cards. If you do any card magic at all, why wouldn't you buy some?
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
Have any favorite marked deck effects?

But honestly, just as a reassurance knowing you have the right card in a normal routine is great with any marked deck.

Ive always liked the ‘ you find my card, i’ll find your card’ routine.
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Mine arrived yesterday and I've now had a chance to check them out.

I am looking at all three releases, original black, red and the new green decks. Personally I preferred the markings on the original black decks the best with the red decks coming in right behind, they were easier to decipher. Although they were very similar, I liked the way the 10's were marked better in the original black decks. I find the 4's, 7's and 10's a little difficult to decipher quickly on the new green decks.

As far as color goes, I liked the black the best, red next, followed up by the green -- personal preference. As far as the tuck cases go, they all look nice but I prefer a smooth case rather than a textured case -- this is due more to the dryness in my hands as I have gotten older.

As far as the card stock goes, hands down the new decks are wonderful! The green decks are much better than the previous releases. They are thinner than the black decks and much thinner than the red decks. As I understand, they are on Bee stock and have a great feel, and faro nicely right out of the box, at least the deck that I opened.

Not everyone is going to like everything about anything and even though I don't like the marks on a few of the cards as well as previous versions, the cards are more useable due to the new stock -- at least as far as I'm concerned.

Overall I'm happy with them, good job!

Robert
401bound
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of 401bound
Received mine today. I don't quite understand the purpose of the arrows. Anyone? I understand that if you had all of the cards oriented the same way and had multiple spectators select cards and had them replace the cards reversed you'd be able to determine which ones they were but outside of that is there any other purpose? Sounds like a dumb question but am I missing something?
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
What you are referring to is called a 1-way deck and there are quite a lot of things you can do with them, well beyond just finding a selection.

------

I got a few decks today, and they are great. I like the greens the best and it's really great to finally have USPCC cards.

I thought I read somewhere that the cards were on Bee stock though? These appear to be the newer thin crush stock. Minor quibble though.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
amirb401
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of amirb401
I missed out on the V1 of DMC's and phill deck. on the V2 I just knew I HAD to get it! and I loved it ever since I laid my eyes.
for the love of god, I couldn't figure out the markings from all the pictures provided on the publish site and the magiccafe post itself..
But when ive seen the card with the explanation I just could not unseen the markings anymore ! 2 run-downs of dealing the deck while naming each card before and I was right on track to use it.

I cant wait to put my hand on a brick of the V3's as I'm sure they will be even better then before !
Unfortunately, I just cant pay the price of shipping for so much, as well as the passport..
so ill have to wait till Blackpool and hope there will be enough decks left for me to buy ;-)
(if the shipping wasn't so pricey I would buy a brick when they announced them).
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1578 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
The green ones are much easier to see for me than the red ones. BTW, I am color blind.

I was going to be an airline pilot .. spent $20K and a year at Western Michigan University for flight training ... took my medical for my solo license ... found out I was color blind -- and you can't fly at night as a commercial pilot if you are color blind .. that career went down the drain .. so I became a clinical psychologist instead. Go figure.

WMU should have done the color blind test BEFORE spending $20K.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
They wouldn't have got their $20k then would they?

Phill
401bound
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of 401bound
[quote]On Oct 28, 2018, Last Laugh wrote:
What you are referring to is called a 1-way deck and there are quite a lot of things you can do with them, well beyond just finding a selection.

------
I apologize as I'v e never ben much of a card guy in the past. I just ordered the passport in hopes that there will be some kind of explanation. .
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
No apology necessary! Everyone starts somewhere. I'm not sure how much the Passport goes into it, but there are tons of effects in the literature that utilize the principle.

Also, definitely not Bee stock IMO. They are the same thickness as the super thin crush stock (like the Bicycle and Honeybee Elites).
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
The Passport does give examples of how use the one waying, including the delayed peek which is one of my favourite things to do with the deck.

The cards do seem pretty thin for Bee stock, we didn't pay for / ask for crushed but I wonder if we got it anyway? I'm really happy with the finish anyway, but there's no point in fronting about it here, they aren't thicc like Bees can be.

Phill
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
This is one product where reviews seem redundant, my order is in. Excited.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Got mine in they feel WONDEFFUL.

The passport also has some clever routines and some ways to use the mark that aren’t as typical.

Madison
Elman1
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Elman1
I got my little green beauties today! Really pleased with them, just as good as the rouge - without a doubt, Phil has created the best marked deck on the market. My only criticism is that for the cost, it's a shame the passport book wasn't included when you buy more than one deck.
miker50
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of miker50
Got my two today. Very impressed as a first time purchaser of them. They handle very well and the markings are really nice. So much easier to read than the ultimate marked deck.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Mine arrived today. I had skipped the Rouge so was previously using the original black version, so can only compare to those, but these are great. Love the feel of the deck- switching to USPCC and printing on the Bee stock was a wise choice. Also all the enhancements to the markings are welcome additions. The best marked deck just got better! Great work Phill and DMC.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
401bound
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of 401bound
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2018, phillsmiff wrote:
The Passport does give examples of how use the one waying, including the delayed peek which is one of my favourite things to do with the deck.

The cards do seem pretty thin for Bee stock, we didn't pay for / ask for crushed but I wonder if we got it anyway? I'm really happy with the finish anyway, but there's no point in fronting about it here, they aren't thicc like Bees can be.

Phill

Great to know the passport includes instruction on the delayed peek and one waying. I've been using some of the ideas in the Kirk Charles Miracles With a Marked Deck DVD but am looking for something with a bit more substance.

Thanks!

-Kyle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » DMC Elites: Marked Deck (Forest Green) (119 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL