The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » People who hate magic (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
710 Posts

Profile of Vogler
A few days ago I performed in a friend’s house, Iam performing just for my joy not professionally .. It was a good performance, some cards, a rope routine, etc. The reactions were amazing . it was a half hour show. But one guy, a friend of my friends who already had stated in the past “ I always try to solve the puzzle, I can’t see a magic trick without trying to solve it immediately” seemed a bit annoyed. He didn't tried to spoil my magic , But in the middle of the show he stood up from the table and he sat to another chair, in which he stared to another place not the performer (me) It was happened to me to have wise guys in my shows but never had a guy like this. It seemed weird to me and a bit rude. Is there some people who maybe getting anxious with magic? Who maybe they don'tlike magic at all?
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Of course.
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
710 Posts

Profile of Vogler
It is weird...Because he prefered to seem rude than waiting for the show to be finished. He must hate magic very much ! Smile
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Some people feel stupid if they can't figure out how these "simple parlour tricks" are done. I believe you fooled the socks off of him and he just couldn't stand it. At least he had the decency to leave you alone... sometimes these types feel they have to save face by attempting to ruin your show.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1405 Posts

Profile of Jerry
He hate's tricks and puzzles, not magic.

Do magic and you will get a different reaction.
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
710 Posts

Profile of Vogler
So Jerry in your opinion when I will be more accomplished there is no chance to meet a guy who is like him? He told me in the past before see any magic from me, that “when I see a magician I can not see the trick without trying to solve it, Iam not full of myself and I know my faults but it was one of my best performances ever.. All the audience was yelling and screaming, these are not reactions for a puzzle.
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
710 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Thanx MisterBill ! I hope that this is the reason. Because all the others was yelling and having fun. He is cool generally a good guy.This is why I had the question.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
People like that want to take the attention from you. So make him part of the show next time. Make him feel like a star.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2018, fonda57 wrote:
People like that want to take the attention from you. So make him part of the show next time. Make him feel like a star.

That's the LAST guy I'd try to include.
If magic isn't his bag and he sits elsewhere...so what?

I rarely watch strolling-magicians myself.

Markus_M
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Markus_M
Wasn't that a win-win?
He wasn't bothered with thinking about the method and you weren't disturbed in your performance.

Live and let live I'd say,
Markus
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I can attest to the fact that some people simply do not like magic. As for your "friend" ... just ignore him. You can't win 'em all!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Volger: Don't get too caught up in what happened with your friend. He is still your friend, but as I said, you have fooled him very badly! Smile He was in a place Pop Haydn calls "on the horns of a dilemma." What he has seen you do, well it can't be real magic! ... But what other explanation is there? This has created a state of cognitive dissonance in him that can be very uncomfortable to experience. You have done well. We could all hope to achieve such as this!
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Depending on the person, Fonda57's idea will work for some BUT... some people are simply so vain that they hate ANYTHING that takes attention away from them. I worked a lot of bar gigs for a few years and my one rule was "I Never Work on Karaoke Night" Why? It is simple, "Most" of that crowd is there to be the center of attention, even if it is just for that one song they have practiced in their car or shower for years. Perhaps this guy is craving attention and you were siphoning off some of his (his perception). I kind of feel that way about people who have to "solve the puzzle, so to speak" They somehow feel they must prove that "they too" are in on the show (puzzle, joke, whatever).

I hope the others enjoyed themselves and you continue to perform (even if for pure joy) you will often find "that guy" from my experiences. Also, this is often the type of personality that no amount of audience management will turn around.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
710 Posts

Profile of Vogler
He is not the attention seeker guy. He is a very kind and mature guy. But he told me in the past, that he can’t watch magic without trying to solve it, that he is suspicious, that he cant simply enjoy a magic show. He told me some days before the show in a playful manner, “you will try harder than the others to get my applause”.
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
710 Posts

Profile of Vogler
This is a part of the performance, card in pocket. after one more trick he left the table..
https://youtu.be/zFyjr4TeJZQ
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Very nicely done!
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2018, Vogler wrote:
This is a part of the performance, card in pocket. after one more trick he left the table..
https://youtu.be/zFyjr4TeJZQ

That particular perfomance would have kept me there, even knowing how it's done (OR NOT). Very fun little group of friends around the table. Being fooled can actually be fun; that is, if there's no money involved. However, I guess for some few, there's more than money at stake! I keep in mind a line from Bob Sheets in a shell and pea trick, "we're just playin' for love here, folks!" Lynn
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
710 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Thanks guys! of course it is fun to be fooled lynnef . I love it Smile
Vitas White
View Profile
New user
Boston
51 Posts

Profile of Vitas White
I don't understand how anybody can legitimately hate magic. I think if someone wants to figure out how the trick is done, then they're actually a fan of magic, just the technical side as opposed to the performance. Another thing, if someone legitimately dislikes magic, I feel as though they just haven't seen the right trick for them yet. Who knows?
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it now. Boldness has genius, power, and magic at its core.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2018, Vitas White wrote:
I don't understand how anybody can legitimately hate magic. I think if someone wants to figure out how the trick is done, then they're actually a fan of magic, just the technical side as opposed to the performance. Another thing, if someone legitimately dislikes magic, I feel as though they just haven't seen the right trick for them yet. Who knows?

Some people have a grudge against magicians, and that’s easy to understand. Lying respectfully is a terribly delicate art.
~Teller

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » People who hate magic (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL