The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » LARGER THAN A HALF, LESS THAN A WHOLE? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
American half-dollars (30.6mm diameter) are a little small for my hands and American silver dollars (38.1mm diameter) feel slightly too big for some moves.

What are some types of coins that fall in the sweet spot between these two sizes. I’m only aware of these:

- Canadian Voyageur Silver Dollar, 36mm (only 1967 or earlier, in 1968 they became nickel and the size was decreased to 32mm)
- USA/Philippines One Peso, 35mm (only 1907-1912)

There must be more; any suggestions?
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
See if you can score the Sunoco Presidential Coin Series. This was a series of collectible coins showing the American Presidents from 1950 to 2000, Harry Truman to Bill Clinton. (Clever political patter opportunities abound with some of these guys; also, there is [obviously] a nice contrasting JFK coin.) These are brass-ish looking (nice contrast to both American half and English penny) and are slightly larger than an American half -- I know this because they won't fit in my Okito box. I think you can find several sets on eBay for about $10.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Old Half Crowns were a little bigger than half dollars.
If you have a silver dollar remilled... Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Old Half Crowns were a little bigger than half dollars.
If you have a silver dollar remilled... Smile

Oh, you are right! Half Crowns are 32.3mm diameter. When I started going through Bobo’s 28 years ago, half-crowns were the only large coin I had access to for practicing. Now where did I put them…
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I've got a 5 Piso coin from the Philippines - 36.5mm diameter
It's ferro-magnetic (attracted to magnets) which could be a plus for some.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces4518.html
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Scott0819, the two you mentioned in your original post are two I've spent a lot of time with. At 36mm they're great if dollars are slightly too big to do your best work. The half crowns (32mm) are great if halves are slightly too small to do your best work. If you re-mill a half crown, it looks like it'd basically become a half dollar, more or less. You can hunt around for other sizes in between, though whatever I've run into sacrificed too much (IE: scarce, pricier, not soft, too thick, etc.). If you run into anything, please do report here, as I love to learn about what others find, too.
TheGladsomeBeast
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of TheGladsomeBeast
I'm not sure the exact measurements but I know the Canadian dollar coins from the 60s are a nice in-between size.
There is also this amazing website that shows the various coin sizes: https://www.safepub.com/coin-sizes
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Double Florin .80 of silver, 36 mm....interesting looking English coin ...Ebay...perfect.
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2018, TheGladsomeBeast wrote:
I'm not sure the exact measurements but I know the Canadian dollar coins from the 60s are a nice in-between size.
There is also this amazing website that shows the various coin sizes: https://www.safepub.com/coin-sizes

The Canadian Voyageur dollars (1935-1967) are the ones you are thinking of, 36mm. That's a handy site, thanks.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2018, cperkins wrote:
Double Florin .80 of silver, 36 mm....interesting looking English coin ...Ebay...perfect.

Nice find. Too bad they were only minted for 4 years, 1887-1890. It makes them both rare and expensive. I'm adding it to my list anyway.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
My compiled list so far. Mostly silver, mostly coins that were in circulation:

CIRCULATED COINS:
- Canadian Voyageur Silver Dollars 36mm (1935-1967), 32mm (1968-1987)
- USA/Philippines One Peso 35mm (1907-1912)
- British Half Crown 32.3mm (silver 1816-1919) (50% silver 1920-1946)
- Philippines Five Peso 36.5mm (1975-1982)
- Double Florin 36mm (silver 1887-1890)
- US Half Dollars 32.7mm (1794-1836)
- Barbados Two Dollar 37mm (1973-1984)
- Mexico Silver One Peso 34.5mm (1957-1967)

NON-CIRCULATED COINS:
- Sunoco Presidential Series 32mm (brass finish)
- $7 Silver Strike 37mm (size may vary)
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
The Philippines Silver Pesos from before 1907 are actually the same size as a US Silver Dollar (38 mm). However, their thickness is only a little bit more than that of a half dollar, which makes these coins lighter and easier to palm.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » LARGER THAN A HALF, LESS THAN A WHOLE? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL