The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Any recommended Mathematical Stack ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Asaka
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Asaka
Any recommended stack that seems like shuffled and random but card locations can be work out through mathematical formula??

Thank you.
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
815 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
I use a mem deck now, but I've always been partial to Si Stebbins, although I know some fear it is too easily noticeable for certain tricks (such as where multiple cards in a sequence are called out or revealed).

I guess one question would be if you are wanting to determine the position of a card in the deck once it is named via a mathematical formula (e.g. someone names a card and you tell them it is in position 23), or you just want to be able to determine the cards above or below a known card in the stack? If it's the former, I still suggest Si Stebbins as it looks reasonably mixed at a glance and is easy to calculate. You may want to look into Si Stebbins Pro, which eliminates the alternating color sequence and still allows for the calculation at any position. Another worth checking out is the Bart Harding stack.

If it's the latter, and you only need to be able to discern what card comes next, a popular mathematical stack that definitely looks random, but allows you to work out the subsequent card in the stack, is Osterlind's BCS.

That's a few options to get you started. Smile
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2045 Posts

Profile of ddyment
A few are mentioned in my essay on full-deck stacks.
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
Asaka
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Asaka
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2018, sgtgrey wrote:
I use a mem deck now, but I've always been partial to Si Stebbins, although I know some fear it is too easily noticeable for certain tricks (such as where multiple cards in a sequence are called out or revealed).

I guess one question would be if you are wanting to determine the position of a card in the deck once it is named via a mathematical formula (e.g. someone names a card and you tell them it is in position 23), or you just want to be able to determine the cards above or below a known card in the stack? If it's the former, I still suggest Si Stebbins as it looks reasonably mixed at a glance and is easy to calculate. You may want to look into Si Stebbins Pro, which eliminates the alternating color sequence and still allows for the calculation at any position. Another worth checking out is the Bart Harding stack.

If it's the latter, and you only need to be able to discern what card comes next, a popular mathematical stack that definitely looks random, but allows you to work out the subsequent card in the stack, is Osterlind's BCS.

That's a few options to get you started. Smile

Thank you sgtgrey! The former purpose is exactly what I what: determine the position of a card in the deck once it is named

Which mentioned stack in your opinion,Si Stebbins Pro or Bart Harding, allow a quicker (less steps) mental calculation for the performer to location the position of named card??
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
815 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Honestly, I couldn't tell you as although I've read about the stacks, I've not put in the time to use them since I now work with a memorized deck, which is instantaneous. I guess one question would be why you're choosing a mathematical stack and using calculations vs memorizing a stack? Although it's more work up front, memorizing an order is going to be much faster in performance, not to mention easier (since you've done the "heavy lifting" beforehand) - and contrary to popular belief, memorizing a deck isn't all that much work - especially not with today's technology and books on memory systems.
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
287 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Not exactly what youre asking for but Doug Dyments Quickerstack is a beast. As is all his material.

If youre willing to sacrifice immediate access to a particularly useful property in Dougs setup its possible to hybridize Quickerstack with Michael Webers Card Kindergarten. Besides memorizing a somewhat significant amount of cards the majority of the stack becomes a one to one translation. Its also super fun to play with as the cards are ordered so consistently that certain gambits encompass the majority of cards.

As for other stacks Stebbins is coming into vogue again as people play with Hackerstack, Redfords Stack and Quickerstack. In addition there should be some material published soon(?) that makes Stebbins even more tantalizing.
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
312 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
I would like to second JB's comment above. Quickerstack is tremendous. Explore his site referenced above. It contains a wealth of information and materials.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2810 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2018, JBSmith1978 wrote:
...as is all his material.

Second this.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Any recommended Mathematical Stack ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL