The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Bad habits to avoid as a magician (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jason ladanye
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of jason ladanye
New blog is UP! In this blog, I’m listing seven bad habits to avoid as a magician. Have you done anything on the list?

https://bit.ly/2P1jOBt
atomic111
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of atomic111
I wouldn't mind seeing your next post be "more bad habits..." as I think you've just scratched the surface. You also avoided being insulting or condescending

I'm curious how you feel about magicians using the very often heard, "thousands of hours in my mother's basement as a teen", line after pulling off a successful flourish, stunt, or even something basic. I ask because you allude to confidence. Confident people shouldn't have to apologize for doing something great should they?

And I weight shift. I wish I didn't.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
320 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
That one you mentioned with the jargon is a big pet peeve of mine. Way back in the day, I learned a lot from Henry Hay's Amateur Magician's Handbook. One of the first things he talks about in the card magic section is this topic. He says that many times magicians make the gross blunder of mentioning an artifice to prove they are not using it, and by way of example offers that you would certainly not say "Look, no jogs, no breaks and no crimps!" Nine out of ten people do not know such things exist, and the tenth shouldn't be reminded!

And it's not just beginners that do this. All the time I see experienced big name pros who should know better but do it, even on TV. Glad you brought it up!
jason ladanye
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of jason ladanye
That's why I wrote the blog Glenn! On national TV, "I didn't force that card on you." SMH!
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Regarding weight shifting - It's not always nerves. I constantly shift back and forth because of bad knees. It's a way for me to relieve the pain building up from standing. I have taken to wearing weight lifter's knee braces during performances, which does help relieve the strain. Possibly could help others as well. Runners' compression braces help a little, but the competition style weight lifter's braces support a lot more.

I too cringe whenever I hear someone mentioning the name of a sleight or other deceptive technique. It's right up there with over proving with phrases like, "A perfectly normal deck of cards." Which is why I only use lines like "perfectly normal" with objects that are clearly unusual.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
atomic111
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of atomic111
Can I do a trick for you using this... a totally ordinary, non magical, deck of cards?
jason ladanye
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of jason ladanye
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2018, atomic111 wrote:
Can I do a trick for you using this... a totally ordinary, non magical, deck of cards?

...that you can't look at or touch or even think about having immediately after the effect.
atomic111
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of atomic111
Spectator: but you said it was totally normal.
magician: (not making eye contact) Let me now call your attention to these totally normal coins that predate the birth of Christ.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
"Thoroughly shuffled deck of cards, every card is different."

"Your name is Amy? My sister's name is Amy..."
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
"I say shiffle cause I can't say shuffle." Smile
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Some of the top (won't mention names) performers actually close their eyes
when executing a sleight or move..extremely irritating habit to
fall into...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2018, joseph wrote:
fall into...

Do you know why they do this? Im assuming guilt.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2018, MichaelJae wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2018, joseph wrote:
fall into...

Do you know why they do this? Im assuming guilt.

Or, perhaps self-deception. It can be a symptom of too much practice in front of a mirror.

"Was I flashing that move? Let's take a look in the mirror. Nope; it's all good."
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Its a scarf or a handkerchief, never a silk!
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I agree that "wobbly weight shifting" for no reason is bad, but Jeff Copeland uses (and teaches) the shifting of your weight as you pretend to catch a coin in an empty hand. It is less "nervous shifting" and more "acting" for affect.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
This...“Go off script and interact with your spectator when they contribute to the conversation.“
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Thanx Jason! Eye contact is SO important. Something my wife reminded me of. It's not only engaging the audience, but also a very important part of misdirection away from your hands. I'm also, like atomic111, looking for a part 2 of bad habits. Lynn
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
In "The 5 Points of Magic", Juan Tamariz discusses the importance of "Crossing the Gaze" It is powerful stuff. I really like that book even though it is a "smaller" book. Sooooo much info neatly crammed into so few pages. I would consider it mandatory reading.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Using the word "Awesome" too much.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
jason ladanye
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of jason ladanye
You are correct Neznarf. An asteroid colliding with a planet is awesome. Having the spectator hand you back a Sharpie is not.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Bad habits to avoid as a magician (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL