The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mini Ice Age on the way? NASA (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2018, ed rhodes wrote:
And you still have not answered the question.

What is your emotional response to horrible people who oppress those they don’t approve of?

I understand that your definition of "opressing those that they don't approve of", includes those that are against allowing gay marriage. So just to be clear and for consistencies sake, did you 'hate' a certain leader before he "evolved" on his position?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2018, ed rhodes wrote:
...Those are very good points. They should be studied by the people who think driving cars into people who don't agree with them is a legitimate response. They should also be studied by ...

That reads as if know what's inside someone else's inner narrative. What you can do is notice when you are getting angry and recognize if that response is your own personal or something that you are thinking about. If it's not personal and present tense - then some idea has a hook or button in your mood and that is what's getting irritated. Love, hate, and rancor are wasted on fictions.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2018, rockwall wrote:
Quote:

What is your emotional response to horrible people who oppress those they don’t approve of?

I understand that your definition of "opressing those that they don't approve of", includes those that are against allowing gay marriage. So just to be clear and for consistencies sake, did you 'hate' a certain leader before he "evolved" on his position?

No. I was very disappointed in him.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
...Those are very good points. They should be studied by the people who think driving cars into people who don't agree with them is a legitimate response. They should also be studied by ...

That reads as if know what's inside someone else's inner narrative. What you can do is notice when you are getting angry and recognize if that response is your own personal or something that you are thinking about. If it's not personal and present tense - then some idea has a hook or button in your mood and that is what's getting irritated. Love, hate, and rancor are wasted on fictions.

What's the fiction? A group was protesting, someone deliberately drove a car into them.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Quote:

I was trying to slow walk him but your fast track seems much better.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But didn't hate him because he shares a world view. Go figure.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

World view? Really?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don’t hate him because he’s not a hater! Not taking what I consider the correct action is not the same as deliberately hurting people.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I want to walk back something I said in another thread that’s carried over to here. I said; “I hate bigots.” That was an over generalization. I can never like or respect someone who thinks their skin color or religion gives them a superiority over someone else, but “hate” was too strong.

People seem to think I am binary in nature, I either like someone, or hate them. This is not true. I like and respect some people (even those who have disappointed me.) like others and dislike some.

But I will not stand down from the opinion that people who willingly and maliciously act to hurt other people are worthy of hatred.

Danny “doesn’t hate.” Good for Danny. When he passes on, we will band together and submit his name to the Vatican for canonization. However, I still haven’t, and realize now that I never will, have him tell me exactly what emotional response these people do generate in him.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You just can't understand that an intellectual response is possible can you? Why do you think people MUST have an emotional response simply because that is your response?

The answer Ed is that I don't have an emotional response.

You can make all the sarcastic quips you like and I'm sure in your world they pass for witty. In the larger world you're about half way there.

Emotional responses are what racist behavior is all about. Had you not suffered from irony impairment you may know this. Race baiters and power movements on all sides USE emotional redponses and create fear and an army of useful idiots.

You keep your opinion about who you believe is "worthy" of your hatred. Great now you sit in judgement of such things. Just the other side of the fence from those who feel other races are "worthy" of hatred. Great for you.

Much the way two can hold the same view on gay marriage, yet one is worthy of your hatred because he shares a world view identical to yours. He is on the team and has a jersey so you are happy. That is not really consistent except to your wield view. Not shocking, just robot behavior.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
OK, you can “intellectualize” people doing horrible things to other people. Good to know.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 23, 2018, ed rhodes wrote:
OK, you can “intellectualize” people doing horrible things to other people.
Actors can have that problem when audiences associate them with a role. If you don't know the people, no direct contact with their lives beyond what you see depicted - doesn't that seem odd to have your human empathy turned into opinion of strangers?

Do those feelings motivate some action on your part? The story about a reporter in Turkey who gets mutilated by people who flew in for the event worries me but I'm not experiencing hate toward people in Turkey because they were there and did nothing to stop it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
OK, you can “intellectualize” people doing horrible things to other people. Good to know.

Yea I'm sorry this habit of thinking about things and not reacting or acting emotionally has ruined my entire life.

Are you actually acting like thinking is a bad thing?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:

Yea I'm sorry this habit of thinking about things and not reacting or acting emotionally has ruined my entire life.

Are you actually acting like thinking is a bad thing?

Not at all. Spock thinks, McCoy emotes and Kirk has to find the balance between them.

I run between McCoy and Kirk, leaning more towards McCoy. You run between Spock and Kirk, leaning more towards Spock.

Too much intellectualizing leads to; “He’s a brutal dictator, but he made the trains run on time.”
Too much emotion leads towards pitchforks and torches.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea use poor fictional examples that is good.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
And now you’re being insulting.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Because you use poor fictional examples I'm being insulting? I guess you'll just have to hate me for it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Did you blow up my church? Did you beat up my friends? Did you try to infringe my civil rights?

My hatred is reserved for people who do terrible things. Not liking “Star Trek” doesn’t qualify.

You’re not worth hating.

I’m sorry you don’t like the “poor fictional examples.” I suppose, if I’d done some searching, I could have found examples in Shakespeare, but at this point, you’re not worth the effort.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

It's not the good/bad sentiment but shift from exterior to interior judgment of others.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Did you blow up my church? Did you beat up my friends? Did you try to infringe my civil rights?

My hatred is reserved for people who do terrible things. Not liking “Star Trek” doesn’t qualify.

You’re not worth hating.

I’m sorry you don’t like the “poor fictional examples.” I suppose, if I’d done some searching, I could have found examples in Shakespeare, but at this point, you’re not worth the effort.

Did anyone blow up your church? Did anyone beat up your friends or try to infringe on your civil rights? You must REALLY hate big government because that is all that happens there! They infringe civil rights. The ACA is a A HUGE infringement on my civil rights, but I don't hate anyone for it.

What about members of those groups who do not so such things but are similar useful idiots who are acting emotionally to outside stimuli, yet you hate them?

Oops too rational for ya Doc?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mini Ice Age on the way? NASA (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL