The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Should the federal minimum wage be $15 hourly? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..15~16~17 [Next]
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:

Not in New York or Los Angeles or Miami and a long list of other cities with high population density. Which is exactly why the idea of a federal minimum wage for a country with as many regions as ours is simply a great idea on paper, but not easily accomplished.

Nobody would argue that a single minimum-wage should pay for housing in Manhattan or Seattle or LA.
But two people making 60k together can lead lives of quiet-desperation within commuting distance of any city in America.
Surely businesses must be held to SOME minimum to prevent exploitation. The free-market has never been the friend of the unskilled and indigent.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
But that standard simply can not be based on workers need alone.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
But that standard simply can not be based on workers need alone.

What standards should wages be based on?

The business-ideal is bare minimum.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It absolutely must be based on what value a particular task has to the company.

Oh and the idea that a minimum wage job is intended to support a family is simply wrong. They have never been intended as such. So it is a mute point and silly to argue.

Individual businesses are not responsible for individual living situations. They do not exist to provide jobs and health insurance. To force this upon them is counter to our founding.

That being said individual business should (notice the qualifier.) not exist to exploit workers. This is where government has a roll to step in and level the playing field for the individual.

But the idea that somehow everyone "deserves" a living wage completely independent of qualifications is simply unsustainable.

I would like to all talk about the same thing and not just platitudes and sound bites.

Of course the business ideal is bare minimum. So what? Never happens. This is why people rise above minimum wage jobs.

Should a minimum wage job provide flat screens and cell phones in the life style? Should it have to provide for children and cigarettes and drinking and drugs? What diet are people on in this fictitious lifestyle?

See the problem with things based on need alone?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Out of curiosity, how many here have had a class in basic economics?

How many actually understand basic economics?

How many could draw a supply curve? A demand curve?

How many could identify the equilibrium wage? The equilibrium level of employment?

How many could identify the dead weight loss given a minimum wage that exceeds the equilibrium wage?

If you can't answer "Yes." to all of these, I humbly suggest that you shouldn't be contributing to this discussion, because you're out of your depth.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I can do all of that and a Laffer Curve and may STILL be out of my depth!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2018, S2000magician wrote:
Out of curiosity, how many here have had a class in basic economics?

How many actually understand basic economics?

How many could draw a supply curve? A demand curve?

How many could identify the equilibrium wage? The equilibrium level of employment?

How many could identify the dead weight loss given a minimum wage that exceeds the equilibrium wage?

If you can't answer "Yes." to all of these, I humbly suggest that you shouldn't be contributing to this discussion, because you're out of your depth.

Humanity doesn't not require depth of specialized knowledge.
Tell the haggard harassed waitresses in southern diners that their $2.13 hr wage is reasonable because Economics. They don't understand because they are "out of their depth".

I don't hear anyone arguing that a single minimum-wage job should afford luxuries, but there is clearly a base-survival rate. It may not be $15 but it surely isn't $2.13.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What is a base survival rate to include then?

$2.13 is a disingenuous figure and you know it. That is with tips.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:

I think your countries welfare system, would provide you with that information.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nope not at all. I am asking an individual question to a person. I am not asking about government programs.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Quote:

The above is what you asked. Your goverment sets a minimum standard of living with it's social programs. Poverty lines and such are figured through algorithms and standards unfamiliar to me but most certainty can be found on those goverment websites. That would be the survival rate you asked for.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Again I asked for his opinion, but government statistics.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
It’s my understanding that nobody actually gets paid $2.13 per hour. That figure is a base pay rate plus tips. At the end of the week IF the tips don’t bring the $2.13 up
to normal minimum wage they must be paid the difference by the employer. Minimum wage is a federal law and nobody can be paid less regardless.

I always found the problem with minimum wage raises weren’t in paying the new hire, but was in having to then raise the whole company pay scale for everybody else too.
A wage increase doesn’t just cover the new people, and it can be very costly for a small business.

Tom
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 30, 2018, TomBoleware wrote:
Minimum wage is a federal law and nobody can be paid less regardless.

Actually your country does have exceptions to the minimum wage laws.

TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Quote:

Actually your country does have exceptions to the minimum wage laws.

That's mainly for school students, not for waitresses and such.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Https://www.cga.ct.gov/2003/olrdata/lab/rpt/2003-R-0390.htm

There they agree. The exceptions to minimum wage. Changes nothing in the discussion.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:

$2.13 is a disingenuous figure and you know it. That is with tips.

I'll get back to base-survival.

Businesses push their wait-staff to earn as much in tips as possible, or at least enough to surpass federal-minimums so they don't have to pitch in. They don't have to match the state-minimum in most states.
Restaurant ethics are probably better suited in a separate thread.

I consider base-survival to be modest food, clothing and livable shared housing. The federal minimum doesn't meet this standard in several states.

Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
There they agree. The exceptions to minimum wage. Changes nothing in the discussion.

Actually it changes Tom's statement from true, to false.

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2018, Mr Salk wrote:

I consider base-survival to be modest food, clothing and livable shared housing. The federal minimum doesn't meet this standard in several states.

From elsewhere:
Quote:
Justifying his long-secret subsidizing of Hogan's lawsuit against Gawker, Thiel yesterday made the multi-millionaire wrestler sound like Tom Joad in “The Grapes of Wrath”—a person impotent to take on powerful forces. He spoke at the National Press Club in Washington, coming off as an anti-media shiv in a velvet glove. He sounded alternately understated, civil, deeply ideological and vengeful. “One of the striking things is if you are middle class, upper middle class, a single-digit millionaire like Hulk Hogan, you have no effective access to our legal system. It costs too much.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:

Actually it changes Tom's statement from true, to false.

I was responding to his comment about waitress pay, but he is right there are a few exceptions, a very few.

Trust me, I know a little about min wage pay. A few years ago back when I owned my daycare center I got audited by the Federal Wage and Hour Department.
I had 18 employees and we had to go back and pull all the time cards for the past two years. Every minute was analyzed.
Wow, you talking about some picky rules and regulations. Smile We came out ok but it was a headache.

Tom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Should the federal minimum wage be $15 hourly? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL