The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » DeBruijn using 47 cards of memorized stack (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
846 Posts

Profile of glowball
Yelnif 47 Deck
This is based upon a binary trick where the spectator cuts the deck anywhere then deals five cards face down in a row on the table and the magician is able to tell what the fifth card is.

DeBruijn - Aronson - memorized 47 deck:
I just discovered the DeBruijn principle a month ago and am fascinated by it.
My apologies if someone has already come up with the 47 card deck that I will describe below.

DeBruijn 32 sequence:
"11001001110100010101101111100000"
I am using the Aronson stack but the below 47 card technique can be done with any memorized stack or scheme (the first card in Aronson is the JS therefore if you are using say Tamariz then use the first Tamariz card where the JS is below and so on).

The below is correct. I have tested all 32 possible situations and it is working perfectly for the Aronson memorization.

Below uses Aronson first 32 cards (Jack Spades thru 10 Diamonds) then followed again by the Aronson first 15 cards (JS thru 7D) but of course physically in DeBruijn sequence below. Note the "B" in in front of each card name is designating a "hit" ie: a binary "1" card whereas an "R" in front of the card name is designating a binary "0". The "B" cards can be Blue backed and the "R" cards can be Red backed or you can use a "one way" backed deck to accomplish the same thing (the "B" cards oriented correctly and the "R" cards oriented the reverse way).

B8C B3D R5H RAS B7S R8D R2H BAD B7H B7C
RKD B8S R10S R9S RKC B3S R6C B5S RAC BQD
BQH R2D BAH B5D B4H BKH B4D R7D R3H R5C
RJS R10D

Add a duplicate set of the first 15 cards to the bottom of the 32:
B8C B3D R5H RAS B7S R8D R2H BAD B7H B7C
RKD B8S R10S R9S RKC

This makes the deck look more substantial (47 cards). This will create one rule breaker: binary value of 17 could be the three of Spades or it could be the eight of Clubs therefore if the total is 17 the magician should do an equivoc statement such as "your card isn't the eight of clubs is it?" and if they say "no" you say "I thought it wasn't, it's the three of Spades".

The reason why there is only one "rule breaker" instead of 3 or 4 is that I realized that the 15th card is at the end of three binary "0"s and that this wraps nicely to the first card that is expecting four "0"s from the tail end of the first 32 cards. Therefore I use the first 15 cards again instead of the first 20 which would yield a 52 card deck but would cause more "rule breakers".

Example: If the five cards dealt onto a horizontal row are B R B B R then mentally calculate 1+0+4+8+0=13 which means the fifth card dealt is the Aronson 2 of Diamonds (you know this instantly because you have the Aronson numbers and cards memorized).

The one negative to my 47 card deck is that you do have 15 duplicate cards but they are not physically close to each other so unlikely to be detected. I do like a more normal looking size deck rather than a skinny 32 card deck.

What do ya'll think?
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
846 Posts

Profile of glowball
If you are using a different memorized stack then the DeBruijn 47 card sequence is (by your deck postition):

B16 B24 12 6 B19 9 4 B18 B25 B28
14 B23 11 5 2 B17 8 B20 10 B21
B26 13 B22 B27 B29 B30 B31 15 7 3
1 32
B16 B24 12 6 B19 9 4 B18 B25 B28
14 B23 11 5 2
Note: the "B" cards are binary "1", the rest are binary "0"

To clarify:
the first DeBruijn card would be from your stack's 16th card (blue back)
the second DeBruijn card would be from your stack's 24th card (blue back)
the third DeBruijn card would be from your stack's 12th card (red back)
the fourth DeBruijn card would be from your stack's 6th card (red back)
the fifth DeBruijn card would be from your stack's 19th card (blue back)
and so on for the first 32 cards then do the same for the first 15 cards giving you a 47 card deck.
everitt99
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of everitt99
Leo Boudreau has a 52 bit DeBruijn cycle (all 52 6-bit codes are different) in his book "Spirited Pasteboards" under the entry of "Heady Stuff". I think you would find this interesting. I believe you can purchase the ebook from Lybrary.com still...
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
846 Posts

Profile of glowball
I will check this out thanks much!
Does his require six cards to be dealt?
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
846 Posts

Profile of glowball
Maybe but not necessarily. Five cards could be dealt and the sixth card would be visible on top of the deck if presented correctly, right?
everitt99
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of everitt99
Yes you most certainly could do that! As long as you know the orientation of 6 sequential cards, you will be able to discern the code.
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
846 Posts

Profile of glowball
I see pros and cons to each (Boudreau's 52 vs yelnif 47). About the only con for Boudreau's 52 card sequence is that you have a little bit more math to do in your head because you have to add 32 at times instead of just 16 8 4 2 and 1. My yelnif 47 deck the math is easier because you're just adding 16 8 4 2 and 1. But the two cons to my deck are that there are 15 duplicate cards that might be noticed and another con is that there's just 47 cards not 52 that could be noticed but I think that these two cons are not severe (each of the duplicate cards is 15 cards away from its match). But I will definitely give the Boudreau 52 deck a try.
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
846 Posts

Profile of glowball
I did some searching and couldn't find Leo Boudreau's 52 bit de Bruijn 6 bit cycle sequence so I just created my own.
It took me about 2.5 hours to create the below 52 bit de Bruijn cycle during Monday night football on Oct 8, 2018 while watching Drew Brees break the all time passing yards (a lot of trial and error and just got lucky with some choices but it works perfectly - did several hours of testing and debugging later):

October 8, 2018 Larry Finley starting from scratch created a 6 bit non-repeating de Bruijn sequence in a 52 bit circular cycle:
0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1
0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1
0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 1
0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1
0 1 0 1 1

I'll post the whole thing on a fresh thread.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » DeBruijn using 47 cards of memorized stack (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL