The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Cutting woman in half with rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2886 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I have been asked to cut a woman in half at a show. I'm primarily a close up magician but I also do Linking Rings, Fiber Optics, Newspaper tear, and a few other things that work on stage.

I am familiar with ways to make a rope appear to pass through a volunteer. I know how to do it with two ropes or with one. In both routines you need a little something to hold the ropes in place before they are pulled tight.

I think these are generic enough that you can PM me some helpful information. As I said I know the mechanics but I'm not sure about the best way to hold the ropes in place. In the two rope version you could use a piece of thread but I'm not sure what is used in the one rope version.

If you have any suggestions of a routine I can purchase that would do the job I would appreciate that too.

Here is someone doing the one rope version

One rope version
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
495 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
The link shows a 2 rope version, not a one rope.
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2886 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Oops, you're right. I found a few and forgot where I was. I know in the two rope version you could start with a loop of thread that would break when you pull hard. But then you couldn't have the ropes freely handled before the effect.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5231 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
That video link to the two rope version was one of the poorest performances I've seen in a while.

This effect can be made to play very large. While the methodology for any of the rope thru bodies is simplicity in itself the routine doesn't have to be bland and boring.

U.F Grant published a one rope version where there was no tie or gimmick to the rope at all. It was simply wrapped around a audience member (woman) and having two men (the bigger the better) up, one one each side of the woman, each with an end of the rope. count of three and pull hard! Viola! the rope passes harmlessly through the spectator.

Supreme magic sold a similar trick that used a simple gimmick to do the Grandmother's Necklace link but using one rope. they called it Through the Eye of a Needle. The premise was that the rope around a spectator was threaded through a large wooden cut out of a sewing needle, The rope had metal cups threaded onto it and a silk handkerchief or two tied to the rope. Again two big men from the audience, each to a side pulled the rope. The rope passed through the woman spectator, passed through the eye of the needle, causing the metal cups to crash together to crash together with the handkerchiefs left dangling from the rope.

Since you know the methodologies build a big show piece. It will make you act look all the largest. Put it in the middle of your show and use three spectators. The lady to be cut in half and two men that are big an burley (if there are any at the function).

This can really be the epitome of "packs small and plays big!"
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
952 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Rubber band used for braces. The little ones.... Better than thread.

Hudson
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1043 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2018, 55Hudson wrote:
Rubber band used for braces. The little ones.... Better than thread.

Hudson

Wow

Great idea!! Thanks for passing along that gem. I've been using my practice thread for gypsy thread, looks like I'll be

switching to rubber bands for braces!

Mark
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2524 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
“ I have been asked to cut a woman in half at a show“

Does a rope penetration of this kind really fulfil the brief? Does anyone really get the illusion of a person being cut in half?

Personally I don’t think so unless something else is added into the presentation to apparently effect the cutting through. The ropes passing through would then act to demonstrate the body has been cut in half rather than being the means by which the body is cut through.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
2886 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Sealegs,

I agree completely. The client has asked for a certain person to be cut in half. My first inclination was to just say, I don't do that. However when I thought about it the idea of a rope version seemed like it might fit the bill and be well within my wheelhouse. I'm guessing he just wants her to be involved. I'll meet with the client and pitch it to him.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21044 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Instead of cutting, how about an illusionette that should satisfy the client. A little seen effect that uses spectators from the audience and can be enhanced by the presentation of the performer.

It is called, "My lady steps out" from Abbott's Magic.

Take a look, it may fit your needs and reasonably priced. Just add the price of the prop to your fee to the client.
https://www.abbottmagic.com/My-Lady-Step......eout.htm
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21044 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2018, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Oops, you're right. I found a few and forgot where I was. I know in the two rope version you could start with a loop of thread that would break when you pull hard. But then you couldn't have the ropes freely handled before the effect.

Your correct, you can't hand out the 2 ropes, but all you have to do is hold the center of the ropes and have the gentlemen tug and pull on the ends. Then have them release the ends and in the process of positioning the lady, just drop one rope and cross it over to the other side, then proceed with instructing the girl.

There is a gimmick that the late Sam Berland used, it can be obtained at any hardware store. If you believe you have to have the rope pulled while around the lady.

Here is Viking's version of Walking through a ribbon: https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/walk......-design/
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Cutting woman in half with rope (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL