The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Very good source for the bottom palm (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Hi I was blown away recently. I tried out the bottom palm while breezing through and oldie but goodie, the Magic of LePaul.
I have all the main sources. Who do you suggest does a very good job in teaching this?

I was blown away because I didn't realize how invisible this can be. It also solves a problem for a card to wallet I have. Since I can now control to the top or bottom, the bottom palm just feels more natural to me. this is after countless years of top palming. I guess an old dog can learn new tricks, if you have enough card magic books. hehe.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi countrymaven,

I've never actually tried a palm, not even of any kind, so take the following with that in mind: Michael Close has a really nice e-book (including video files) on the bottom palm and gambler's cop. The instruction is thorough, detailed, and very readable. It's the first of several volumes on palming, and he starts with the bottom palm precisely for the reasons you suggest: it's well-covered. I don't remember what the book called, but you can find it on his website.

Bob
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2018, Bob G wrote:
Hi countrymaven,

I've never actually tried a palm, not even of any kind, so take the following with that in mind: Michael Close has a really nice e-book (including video files) on the bottom palm and gambler's cop. The instruction is thorough, detailed, and very readable. It's the first of several volumes on palming, and he starts with the bottom palm precisely for the reasons you suggest: it's well-covered. I don't remember what the book called, but you can find it on his website.

Bob

Hey Bob,

The Bottom Palm/Gambler's Cop is really wonderful and I actually mastered it/them before the top palm. It is covered well, angles are fine, and replacement is very natural. The sleight - like any sleight - opens a universe of possibilities.

When you're ready for the Top Palm, PM Glenn Morphew. his work on the OHTP is absolutely splendid. He sells a video devoted to it. Glenn is a wonderful instructor.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2018, countrymaven wrote:
Hi I was blown away recently. I tried out the bottom palm while breezing through and oldie but goodie, the Magic of LePaul.
I have all the main sources. Who do you suggest does a very good job in teaching this?

I was blown away because I didn't realize how invisible this can be. It also solves a problem for a card to wallet I have. Since I can now control to the top or bottom, the bottom palm just feels more natural to me. this is after countless years of top palming. I guess an old dog can learn new tricks, if you have enough card magic books. hehe.

Hey Countrymaven,

I'll look up teaching sources and post them later. That said, if you want some great routines using the sleight, David Regal uses it rather frequently and you really get to experience how great the sleight is.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi there, Vlad,

Thanks for all this info. The gambler's copy is on my (all too long) list of sleights to learn because it just happens that two or three tricks that I'd like to learn use it. The universe -- even the tiny universe of magic -- is a big place.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
See if you can find my HaLo Cut Cop (for a gambler's palm) which I use often and which I've taught in books often.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
One source is p. 187 (or so) of Harry's Quantum Leaps, which I bough recently.
ssibal
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of ssibal
I still think the Erdnase description is probably the best.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks to everyone. Wow, how blessed we are to have the Magic Café. all trite things aside, do you remember the early 80's when you could not ask for help on these type of things. well, you could at a magic club, but you were often not getting the best sources, etc. Wow, to have Harry help me out, I am very thankful. Also, Vlad, all of us at the Café should appreciate your passion for card magic. I resisted card magic for a while, but when I saw Blaine do nothing but card magic and blow away everyone on a tv show, I was corrected. Magic is magic. It doesn't matter what you do it with. But cards offer a huge amount of possibilities. thanks again to you all.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
While I am waiting for the research from the brilliant Vlad,
I thank Bob G for referring me back to my Michael Close Workers.
He explains that the bottom palm is a much more deceptive palm and the move and even stalling the actual palm are covered by the deck.
This led me to come up with my bottom palm. It takes about half a second , no break needed and no little finger action. It is not because of my dexterity I developed up but likely because of my lack of extreme dexterity.
I have tried to use the one handed top palm from Morphew but to me it is just way harder than what I developed.
I would suggest everyone read Michael Close's arguments for the superiority of the bottom palm. I think some of you would be convinced.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2018, ssibal wrote:
I still think the Erdnase description is probably the best.

Erdnase was clear enough for me as well.
RandyHuynh
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of RandyHuynh
I think you should buy 2 DVD from Korea Magician Yu Byong Hun called P Left & P Right DVD
here is trailer of 2 dvd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1dBUpSP4Pw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=551rNAxBE8c
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
The only part of Erdnase I like is when it tells how to hold out cards in the bottom palm while dealing. My bottom palm is instant, very little movement and the replacement is similar. I appreciate Erdnase, but I do not worship these overdramatic methods of bottom palming. They work, but have too much movement. I think it should be covered with a simple movement like a tiny spread, in my case, a tiny reverse spread, as in slightly moving the deck for a split second. It is over. No wonder why the bottom palm has been a hidden secret-- where has a great, simple, undetectable bottom palm been clearly described?

Earth to space, Vlad, I am hoping for your research but will check Hobbs too. I think like Hobbs, not with his brilliance but aim for a methodology or move that is repeatable, natural and is undetectable for spectators.

I thank all of you. Because of you I don't plan to top palm much at all any more. doing the move and holding out, in an invisible way, wow that really makes my day. Joke of the day: in the metoo era, just because you can bottom palm, does not mean you can palm a bottom.
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
One excellent option is Ben Earl's one handed bottom palm. It's difficult but if you put in the work it can APPEAR effortless. Here it is:

Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
187 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
John Carney also has excellent work on the bottom palm in his Carney On Palming DVD.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
RandyHuynh, where can you purchase P.left and P. Right DVD's?
Is it dub or subtitled?
RandyHuynh
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of RandyHuynh
Jerry : I purchase both dvd directly as download from author magician Yu Byong Hun
you can order dvd from korea magic shop
http://wowmagicshop.co.kr/product/detail......_group=1
http://wowmagicshop.co.kr/product/detail......_group=1
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks so much Steven and littlethumbtip. Wow Steven, I think I will get Ben Earl's one handed bottom palm.
I have already worked out a two handed super fast and easy bottom palm. I wanted to clarify I mentioned the BOTTOM PALM, NOT a BOTTOM COP. I do not want to learn something that can be seen from the side in any way. A palm is well covered, not a cop, imho.

The wonderful thing about a bottom palm is as Erdnase shows, that you can hold out invisibly, be covered by the deck and move it away instantly. So in the case of the bottom palm, you can do literal miracles that you simply cannot make as undetectable as a bottom palm/holdout.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
RandyHuynh, thank you for the link.
However it appears that both DVD titles are sold out.

Dose Yu Byong Hun sell them directly? You stated that was how you obtained via instant download?
ShaunR
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of ShaunR
Xavior Spade teaches the Earnest Earick version on his YouTube channel also
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Very good source for the bottom palm (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL