The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » New Giobbi (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Hardly anyone will remember that this once was Giobbi thread...
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2018, Rachmaninov wrote:
I like the Agenda series a lot too. Just the first two can keep a serious student busy for a long time. I hope Giobbi will continue the series. I learnt a lot from them and there is ideas we can return to again and again.

Hey Rach! Those are good books. My favourite Giobbi publications are his Light series.
After the first reading of his Stand Up Card Magic I wasn't that thrilled, but I am going through it again. Definitely some useful stuff in there.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Magicfish,
Can you elaborate more on your feelings about Stand up Card magic ? It’s the only book by Giobbi I have not studied yet. And it’s on my wishing list. You don’t seem very enthousiast about it.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Rach, don't let that deter you. There was a period of years where I did restaurant magic semi professionally and before that I did magic and juggling at birthday parties, but for the majority of my life I have been a casual, informal, closeup card guy.
When I bought this book I thought it was going to be about Stand-Up closeup a la Mike Close as opposed to sit down closeup a la Bro. Hamman.
Well, there definitely is much for the standing closeup performer but there is also much for the standing parlour cardician and the standing stage cardician.
Which is great- just not for me.
But as I said, this is my second reading of the book and many ideas are adaptable to all scenarios.
A closeup man can benefit from Giobbi's Stand Up Card Magic.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Thanks for your answers. Definitely on my list.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Here is another recommendation for Stand Up Card Magic.
There are a dozen tricks, described with the usual detail I so much appreciate in Giobbi. They're all good, so I'm sure you'd find at least a few that would appeal to you and that you'd add to your repertoire.

At the beginning there is a long section dedicated to sleights, where he talks about the ones that are more useful and/or appropriate in a stand up situation.

To conclude, this book really opened my eyes and made me realise that you must, in certain situations, transport your card magic from a horizontal plain to a vertical plain, in order for your audience to see and appreciate what you're performing, and just this, for me was worth the price of the book.

There is also a small chapter, where he lists tricks and routines he published in other books of his and that you could use in a stand up situation.
My advice is to absolutely go for it!
If you do, I'd like to have your personal opinion then..

Mark
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of lord_wallmotto
The Card College dvd set is good. However, I was massively disappointed by it.

Why not include the difficult sleights? One Card Pass, Classic Pass, One Handed Shuffle etc.

Does anyone know?

Maybe he can't do the moves well anymore?
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Wallmotto, I said the same thing in this thread. I think Roberto is a master, but he admits that he has worked (and still does) on every single sleight in the course, but that he doesn’t master all of them. There is some, like the bottom deal, that he uses when only in top shape.
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 3, 2018, Rachmaninov wrote:
Wallmotto, I said the same thing in this thread. I think Roberto is a master, but he admits that he has worked (and still does) on every single sleight in the course, but that he doesn’t master all of them. There is some, like the bottom deal, that he uses when only in top shape.

Maybe he doesn't use the classic pass that much anymore and therefore didn't include it. It is an odd move to leave out from the set as I imagine that The Classic Pass would be one of the moves from the books that students of them really would like to see performed and explained.
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Oh, I doubt that. He is master. I am sure we will all be reminded of that when Masterclass is released. It's now around December.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Don’t expect miracles in the hardest moves. As everybody, he is a human being !
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Yes he is. Vernon was God, though.
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 3, 2018, kShepher wrote:
Oh, I doubt that. He is master. I am sure we will all be reminded of that when Masterclass is released. It's now around December.

He can be a master without having a fast and smooth classic pass.

With all the knowledge he has about card magic, maybe he found methods that suits him better.
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Maybe. He could possibly use Harry Lorayne's "Instead of the Pass".
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
If you watch his dvd on deck switches, you will see a master in all aspects of our art, not just fingers virtuosity, which by the way doesn’t fit his style.
Mr Matthews
View Profile
New user
UK
36 Posts

Profile of Mr Matthews
Hi all,

Does anyone have any specific information on this new Giobbi book?
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Matthew, it’s not a book, it is masterclasses dvds. But I’m pretty sure Roberto has a book in preparation (he always has !).
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 3, 2018, kShepher wrote:
Maybe. He could possibly use Harry Lorayne's "Instead of the Pass".

Top 3 passes EVER.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2832 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Kevin, you may well know about this already, but Giobbi has three DVD's on each of which he focuses on one of his favorite magicians -- Garcia, Vernon, and (I think) Elmsley. The URL below is for the complete set, but you can also purchase them individually. I don't have them so I can't tell you what they're like, but they're pretty certain to be good.

Bob

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......-giobbi/
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
694 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » New Giobbi (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL