The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Science Deniers on the Left- De Grasse Tyson (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..14~15~16 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19095 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh man THAT was funny.

Well to me anyhow.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5495 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2018, Mr Salk wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2018, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2018, Mr Salk wrote:
My hippy aunt lives in a yurt on a commune and makes crystal-energy jewelry.
She arguably denies a narrow swath of science, with no detriment to herself, society or the earth.

Governments and institutions that deny the swath of climate-change science are a pressing-danger to the existence of life on the planet.

Does your aunt recommend sick people forego medical treatment and rely strictly on the power of the crystals?

She's a hippy not a Christian scientist.

A Christian scientist? Like Carl Linnaeus, George Washington Carver, Arthur Eddington, Sir Robert Boyd? I'm pretty sure they believed in modern medicine of their day. Could you elaborate on your statement?
Someone close to me is both a crystal/ spiritual/ healer/cleanser and a Christian.
R.S.
View Profile
Veteran user
CT one day I'll have
391 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2018, TomBoleware wrote:
Ron,

Faith: “a complete trust or confidence in someone or something”

While I appreciate what science has done to better my life, I don’t depend on it to the point that I need to see a science study to try something new.
I can’t have complete trust (faith) in it knowing that it is sometimes wrong or often changed to fit the times. I rely on my own personal knowledge/experiences
to guide me through life. I like science I just don’t trust everything labeled as science like some seem to do.

Let’s not forget that many of the inventions we have today were invented by accident and can’t really be credited to science itself.
Science is just a tool and any tool is only as good as the person using it.

Tom

Tom,

Nothing is 100% infallible. But, do you have anything better than the scientific method of empirical testing to help us separate what’s objectively true about the world from what’s not?

No, science is not "changed to fit the times." Conclusions are occasionally revised/updated/overturned in light of new information. And that's a good thing. That's how we advance. Would you feel better if it was incapable of change? Again, think of science as a method, not an unchanging menu of proclamations. It's a logical process that involves hypothesis, observation, testing, replication, etc.

We all rely on our own personal knowledge/experiences to an extent. But nowadays much of that knowledge/experience has been informed by science. And where science hasn't informed us, it's important to remember just how fallible the human brain is. If simple magic tricks and optical illusions can fool the crap out of us, then we shouldn't be so confident in ourselves.

What are the many inventions we have today that were "invented by accident" and can't be credited to science? Again, someone using the tool of science in the wrong way is not an indictment of the scientific method itself. And it's no reason to not "trust" science.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26795 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Ron, the model from Newton is only three hundred years old, a blip compared to our much longer history of traditional stories and useful habits. Did you know that our best-guess models were updated by 'expanding universe', 'quantization of energy', 'uncertainty principle' at about the same time as the 'logical' models were updated with some discoveries about what's provable in a system that includes both sets and numbers? That was around 1910-1930. Not so long ago, in our lifetimes, we saw how sensitive computer models (or any boundry value system) are to minute variations in parameter data... pretty much what Bradbury wrote about in "Sound of Thunder" but we call it the Butterfly Principle.

It's still a good idea to wash your hands before handling food.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2573 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Ron all I’m saying is: If you want to credit science with all the good you need to credit it with all the bad too.
Because all those items being recalled and pulled from the shelves every day, yes every day, were put there in the
name of science in the first place. The word science is often just being used as a powerful selling tool.

So yes I do agree it is not 100% infallible, not even close.

And I also agree that we should still trust, or as I say have 'faith' in it, because nothing in life is 100% guaranteed.

Tom
A habit is a habit until you realize you doing it, then it is a choice.

The NEW Daycare Magician Book
https://www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

www.tomboleware.com
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1742 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2018, TomBoleware wrote:

Because all those items being recalled and pulled from the shelves every day, yes every day, were put there in the
name of science in the first place.

Tom

You seem to be blaming science for faulty production (which poor production issues are firmly grounded in avarice).
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2573 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Most products are ‘tested’ and believed to be good before put on the market. Many are approved by the FDA and then later pulled.
Failed science is still science. Poor science is still science. I too wish we had perfect science but we don’t.
That shouldn’t be so hard to understand.

Tom

https://www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

www.tomboleware.com
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1742 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I was not really considering drug matters. When I hear "product recall" I think of automobiles, toxic toys or dinnerware, ineffective safety equipment (like car seats or strollers), etc. Generally, these recalled items are not recalled due to poor science, they are recalled due to faulty execution.

On the drug front you are addressing, I disagree with your assertion that the recalls are due to poor science. Instead, the recalls result from social and political pressures to rush into production and an economic/social/political judgment not to conduct exhaustive tests. And judgments are also made with regard to whether certain known side effects of drugs are of sufficient concern to preclude the use of such drugs or whether they present an acceptable risk. And finally, there is mounting pressure from the populace for the FDA to approve even more drugs (or allow them to be used) without approval on an 'experimental' basis. Those in need of such drugs want them to cure their ills and assert that they are willing to assume the risks associated with the experimental drugs. Unfortunately, the producers (or potential producers) of such drugs fear that they will be penalized substantially when the side effects manifest even if the risks of such effects are clearly explained to potential users.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2573 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I think the auto industry has Engineers & Scientist that test their products before release.

And you would think the drugs were well tested by science before release. Incomplete testing is poor testing in my book.

For the record, and with all the flaws I can see in it, I still have faith in science to serve us well.
After all, you don’t always need a guarantee to trust something. Do you?

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26795 Posts

FDA approval is not a "science" matter. It's a political decision. Compare across other countries with similar agencies which approved or did not approve some items.

"testing" is part of "science" - you posit a rule as valid then clever folks come in and see if it really works.

@Tom, You're smarter than that. How sure can you be of something? Quantifying that is the very foundation of what we call confidence. Confidence limits risks. From engineering we also know that "complete" testing destroys what is being tested. You also know that resource/financial decisions are risk/benefit matters. Getting the odds on those risks has been driving mathematics as far back as the insurance business and paid for Newton's Principia. Arguing from naive realism seems more comical than quaint. Of course you also know that.
R.S.
View Profile
Veteran user
CT one day I'll have
391 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
The word science is often just being used as a powerful selling tool.

Why do you think the word carries so much power and respect as to be a sought after "selling tool"?

Ron
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2573 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2018, R.S. wrote:
Quote:

Why do you think the word carries so much power and respect as to be a sought after "selling tool"?

Ron

Because at one time science was highly trusted, but that trust has been declining fast over the past few years.

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
Mr Salk
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
Because at one time science was highly trusted, but that trust has been declining fast over the past few years.

Tom

Truth doesn't care about trust.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5495 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2018, Mr Salk wrote:
Quote:

Tom

Truth doesn't care about trust.

Are you certain?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19095 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Society may care about trust. But isn't the truth sort of independent of trust? I don't know, I'm asking seriously.

I always just thought the truth was what it was. I'm willing to be wrong but now I'm curious.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
R.S.
View Profile
Veteran user
CT one day I'll have
391 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2018, R.S. wrote:
Quote:

Ron

Tom

Who says trust in science has been declining fast over the past few years? Is this just your own personal opinion? And who exactly are the non-trusters?

Ron
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2573 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2018, R.S. wrote:

Who says trust in science has been declining fast over the past few years? Is this just your own personal opinion? And who exactly are the non-trusters?

Ron

Science itself says that.

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26795 Posts

Quote:
...Science itself says that.

Disagree. The variation in test-retest reliability of data presented in hi-prestige journals has been studied...
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2573 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
“When it comes time to make decisions about science it seems to me that people have lost the ability to judge what is true and what is not, what to believe and what to not.” -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26795 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 19, 2018, TomBoleware wrote:
“When it comes time to make decisions about science it seems to me that people have lost the ability to judge what is true and what is not, what to believe and what to not.” -- Neil deGrasse Tyson
That's a personal opinion. People have opinions. Einstein had a oft quoted line about stupidity. Still opinion.

We have people offering arguments about the shape of our planet and positing models which explain little in the small and raise huge questions (which are not addressed in the large) - but seriously... not as playbow for dialectic but as rallying cry for a connection to their model of reality.

@Tom, science may have history and may have some common presuppostions but it's not a catechism. More like a basic driving test.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Science Deniers on the Left- De Grasse Tyson (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL