The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Curious Force Magic Square (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Dear Mystery Entertainers,
In Martin Gardner's autobiography he mentions a strange type of magic square
that forces someone to choose a number even though the choice seems random.
Is anyone familiar with this strange magic square and where it is explained
in detail? I am very interested in this curious mystery.
Please reply soon.
Sincerely,
miistermagico
everitt99
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of everitt99
This is probably the principle that is discussed in Karl Fulves' "Hex Squared". They resemble magic squares but have a different property built within them. There was a thread not too long ago on this forum which discussed this principle
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Dear Mystery Entertainers,
I have a suspicion this is the answer I am looking for:
There is a long history in magic of using the standard magic square to force the number 15, See: Martin Gardner's Mathematics, Magic and Mystery
Do you have other suggestions I am unaware of?
Sincerely,
miistermagico
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2045 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I have written an essay on the forcing matrix that might be of interest.
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
saxonia
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of saxonia
Hello,

In addition to Doug's great article, here are a few sources to read if you are interested in this principle:

* Gardner, Martin: Hexaflexagons and Other Mathematical Diversions, The University of Chicago Press, 1988, p. 15ff - ''Magic with a Matrix''
* Gardner, Martin: The Magic Numbers of Dr. Matrix, Prometheus Books, Buffalo & New York, 1985, p. 146ff - ''Clairvoyance Test''
* Gibson, Walter: Date Sense, The Jinx, No. 41, Febr. 1938, p. 279
* Henry, Thomas: Hidden Numerical Forces, Leaping Lizards Publishing, 2006, p. 85ff - ''The Matrix Force''
* Goldstein, Phil: The Violet Book of Mentalism, 1980, p. 8f - ''Rainbow Matrix''
* Goldstein, Phil: Rethink, in: Spell-Binder, vol. 2, no 24, p. 468f
* Kraitchik, Maurice: Mathematical Recreations, W.W. Norton & Company, New York, 1942, p. 184ff
* Stover, Mel: The Irrisistible Force, in: The New Phoenix, No.340, January 1957, p. 171f
* Waters, T. A.: Mind Myth and Magic, Hermetic Press, Seattle, 1993, p. 222ff - ''Insight Straight'', p. 279ff - ''Quintasense'' and p. 557ff - ''Threesum''
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2666 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
As always, be careful about publicly available information about math-based routines. For example, here’s a blog post and video about this routine: https://mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2015/......-puzzle/

Interestingly, the above post only discusses proof of the 34 square, and doesn’t delve into how to make other squares with different totals. It only proves how this one square works. So, if you use a different square, you may be able to get away with it. Saxonia recommends several works, but I would most highly recommend the Violet Book of Mentalism reference, as Phil Goldstein does a wonderful job of explaining some highly effective psychological and presentational aspects of this routine that will make it more effective.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Curious Force Magic Square (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL